Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Note to Self: Avoid Madison Heights

The roads are awful! A bad idea dawned on me this morning to go there in order to dispose of dead florescent tubes at the battery store on John R. only to find that the store doesn't recycle florescent tubes as advertised. But every f**king road in Madison Heights is under construction, as a result of which a task that should take less than an hour took nearly three times that. I imagine that the little restaurants along John R. are suffering, as one would have to be crazy to attempt getting to any one of them.

The main section line roads like John R are usually "county roads" and the care and maintenance are a funcion of Oakland County road commission.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    ...Oakland County road commission.
    They should all be shot IMHO.

Even without construction, that stretch of John R in Maddy Heights might be the most frustrating road to drive in Metro Detroit. Not sure if it's because of the timing of the traffic lights, road conditions or something else, but I hate driving on it. And not just the actual roads, making any kind of left turn in or out of a driveway is virtually impossible. That city is one of the worst examples of suburbia.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post

I don't think mass execution would solve the problem.

Please don't bash Madison Heights!

I go down John R from 13 Mile to 9 Mile at least twice a week and while the road is about as shitty as most other roads in Metro Detroit, I don't seem to notice it being that much worse.

Used to be Mound Road was the worst because of all the industrial traffic ripping it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I feel sympathy for the small business owners along John R whose restaurants, etc., would have more clientele if the road and traffic patterns were improved.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Even without construction, that stretch of John R in Maddy Heights might be the most frustrating road to drive in Metro Detroit. Not sure if it's because of the timing of the traffic lights, road conditions or something else, but I hate driving on it. And not just the actual roads, making any kind of left turn in or out of a driveway is virtually impossible. That city is one of the worst examples of suburbia.
    Nah, the worst stretch of road I know of is Southfield Rd from Birmingham to the beginning of the freeway. If you get on Southfield at Maple and drive at a normal speed, you will be stopped at every freakin' light until you get to the freeway. One Saturday morning I happened to be first in line at a light and decided to see how fast I had to drive to make the next light. I drove 65 [[in a 45 zone ), and just made the next light. I'm sure this is done on purpose, in the belief that by pissing off every driver on the road they are making things safer.

By contrast, Telegraph in Wayne county is a model of good timing. Get on Telegraph at Ford Road, and you will have to stop at the first light [[I suppose it's Hass Street in Dearborn Heights). From that point, at normal speeds, even at rush hour, you can get as far as Ten Mile before having to stop. You might have to slow down some if traffic is heavy, but you won't have to come to a complete stop.

LOL! I'm pretty fond of the John R strip up from Eight mile. It's been the best hope to get thru to Troy with all that bedlam going on 1-75. I also like several of the business along John R right on up to 14 mile!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Don K View Post
    Nah, the worst stretch of road I know of is Southfield Rd from Birmingham to the beginning of the freeway.
    Second note to self: avoid Southfield Rd.

^ Hah! Avoid 10 mile between Southfield Rd and Greenfield. What a mess [unless they've fix it]! There are more patch area than asphalt. You need an industrial-military level vehicle not to have your teeth rattled!
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-04-21 at 07:43 PM.

Are you the type that whines about pot holes and roads falling apart while also threatening death to the people that fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^ Hah! Avoid 10 mile between Southfield Rd and Greenfield. What a mess [unless they've fix it]! There are more patch area than asphalt. You need a an industrial military level vehicle not to have you teeth rattled!
    IMHO Lloyd Christmas in 'Dumb and Dumber' is the prophet who best described what America has come to: "We got no food, we got no jobs, Our pet's heads are falling off!"

Second note to self: avoid Southfield Rd.

Something tells me these places are better off without you.