Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 2021 - Detroit named most dangerous US city... again

I guess it all depends on where you get your statistics from, or how crime reports and crime rates are analyzed and deciphered, but it looks like Detroit has blitzed its way to the top of the 'most dangerous' list again...

https://worldpopulationreview.com/us...ties-in-the-us

Detroit is bad, I get it. But no way is it worse than Chicago unless the data compares population relative to square miles. Chicago is almost 3 times more populous than Detroit. 70 people were shot with 9 deaths in Chicago this past weekend alone....

Copy & paste for those who don't want to click the bait:

The violent crime rate in the United States is about 369 incidents per 100,000 people in 2018. This is the lowest it has been in more than 30 years; however, violent crime is still widespread. Violent crime is not evenly distributed throughout the country and is typically more common in urban areas. Specifically, some cities are more dangerous than others.

To determine which cities in the United States the most dangerous, 24/7 Wall Street looked at data from the FBI’s 2018 Uniform Crime Report, including each city’s murder and non-negligent manslaughter, rape, robbery, and aggravated assault. Only cities with populations of 100,000 people or more were evaluated. The poverty rate and unemployment rate were also evaluated for each city, as these economic factors often correlate with crime rates. The 50 most dangerous cities in the United States were determined from this data.

Based on this information, the ten most dangerous cities in the United States are:

1. Detroit, MI
    2. Memphis, TN
    3. Birmingham, AL
    4. Baltimore, MD
    5. St. Louis, MO
    6. Kansas City, MO
    7. Cleveland, OH
    8. Little Rock, AR
    9. Milwaukee, WI
    10. Stockton, CA

The most dangerous city in the United States is Detroit, Michigan. Detroit has a violent crime rate of 2,007.8 incidents per 100,000 people with a total of 261 homicides in 2018. Detroit is the only midsize or large city in the United States with a violent crime rate of over 2,000. With a population of less than 700,000 people today, Detroit reported about 13,500 violent crimes in 2018 – a rate higher than cities with double the population. Detroit’s scarce economic opportunities have led to an annual unemployment rate of 9.0% and 37.9% of residents living below the poverty line.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Copy & paste for those who don't want to click the bait:

The violent crime rate in the United States is about 369 incidents per 100,000 people in 2018. This is the lowest it has been in more than 30 years; however, violent crime is still widespread. Violent crime is not evenly distributed throughout the country and is typically more common in urban areas. Specifically, some cities are more dangerous than others.

To determine which cities in the United States the most dangerous, 24/7 Wall Street looked at data from the FBI’s 2018 Uniform Crime Report, including each city’s murder and non-negligent manslaughter, rape, robbery, and aggravated assault. Only cities with populations of 100,000 people or more were evaluated. The poverty rate and unemployment rate were also evaluated for each city, as these economic factors often correlate with crime rates. The 50 most dangerous cities in the United States were determined from this data.

Based on this information, the ten most dangerous cities in the United States are:

1. Detroit, MI
    2. Memphis, TN
    3. Birmingham, AL
    4. Baltimore, MD
    5. St. Louis, MO
    6. Kansas City, MO
    7. Cleveland, OH
    8. Little Rock, AR
    9. Milwaukee, WI
    10. Stockton, CA

The most dangerous city in the United States is Detroit, Michigan. Detroit has a violent crime rate of 2,007.8 incidents per 100,000 people with a total of 261 homicides in 2018. Detroit is the only midsize or large city in the United States with a violent crime rate of over 2,000. With a population of less than 700,000 people today, Detroit reported about 13,500 violent crimes in 2018 – a rate higher than cities with double the population. Detroit’s scarce economic opportunities have led to an annual unemployment rate of 9.0% and 37.9% of residents living below the poverty line.
    Thanks for the link. So Chicago doesn't make the Top 10 ? Interesting....

2021 but cites supposed data from 2018??? This is extremely dubious. Taking it with a pound of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Detroit is bad, I get it. But no way is it worse than Chicago unless the data compares population relative to square miles. Chicago is almost 3 times more populous than Detroit. 70 people were shot with 9 deaths in Chicago this past weekend alone....
    No place in the US comes close to Chicago's raw numbers. It is by far the most violent place in America. I'm not sure why media plays these dumb musical chair games about city proper rates every year. Rate is not comparable to cities that are less than half the size of Chicago.

Almost all stats comparing locations are per capita. Not sure why crime should be any different.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    2021 but cites supposed data from 2018??? This is extremely dubious. Taking it with a pound of salt.
    This is an aggregate report of various state and local statistics. It sometimes takes the local agencies a year or so to complete their reports, after which the FBI collects all of them and generates their report. They cross-check all their stats against each other, as well, and they don't release a report until all of the available data is collected. If there are discrepancies, the FBI audits the data to fix them. So it usually takes a few years for a report to come out. I don't think the 2019 report is out yet.
    Last edited by JBMcB; June-29-21 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    ...it looks like Detroit has blitzed its way to the top of the 'most dangerous' list again...
    I doubt that even a philosopher king could fix the hood :{

Regarding Chicago not being in the top ten, it has to do with per capita like 401don said. If crime statistics in Chicago focused on just the south side of Chicago, you would find statistics their probably far worst than those of Detroit. Most violent crimes in Chicago occur on the south side and a bit on the west. Does anybody know the size of the south side of Chicago in square miles compared to the rest of Chicago and then Detroit? Knowing that information changes the perspective.

Like was mentioned that is based off of the FBI stats that run 2 years behind.

This one does not even place Detroit in the top 10.

https://www.roadsnacks.net/most-dangerous-cities/

I think the 2020/2021 stats are going to dethrone Detroit if it is in the number one spot,as a lot of places are seeing over a 50% increase in violent crime.

Keep in mind some cities report different then others and do not view crimes like assault as a violent crime.

Places like Chicago have a lot of crime located in a comparative small section which makes it skew the numbers as it is city wide when it is not.

Here is another one

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/03/us/us-crime-rate-rise-2020/index.html
    Last edited by Richard; June-29-21 at 12:56 PM.

All I can say is there must be two different Detroit's. I'm in the city all the time, every week, in the neighborhoods, all over the place. Knock on wood, I really don't see crime, or violence. We had our office on James Couzens for years, Had a vehicle stolen once about 30 years ago. That was our only issue. I see poor areas, I see run down areas. I'm not around at night, but I've been working in the city for 42 years.

yay Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    All I can say is there must be two different Detroit's. I'm in the city all the time, every week, in the neighborhoods, all over the place. Knock on wood, I really don't see crime, or violence. We had our office on James Couzens for years, Had a vehicle stolen once about 30 years ago. That was our only issue. I see poor areas, I see run down areas. I'm not around at night, but I've been working in the city for 42 years.
    All I can say is, The Good Lord has you covered. 42 years without a incident is impressive. There are tons of people who can't lay claim to that.

What gets tiring decade after decade is the ‘all big cities have it’ or ‘St. Louis, Philly or Chicago is worse than Detroit!’ All that crap is extremely low bar. Here is a novel idea, why not get the hell out of the conversation of where is the most violent place in the US altogether? Like for example, get out of the top 10 of the ‘most violent places in America’

Washington D.C. is not going to solve the problem with new laws and giving out free guns to anyone who wants one certainly will not either. We need to work harder and commit as a state, region and city to drive gun violence numbers much lower and the first thing constructive towards accomplishing that goal is to ignore the people on the far left equally as well as the people on the far right because neither one of them bring realistic options to the table to diminish the Effing problem.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; June-29-21 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    What gets tiring decade after decade is the ‘all big cities have it’ or ‘St. Louis, Philly or Chicago is worse than Detroit!’ All that crap is extremely low bar. Here is a novel idea, why not get the hell out of the conversation of where is the most violent place in the US altogether? Like for example, get out of the top 10 of the ‘most violent places in America’

Washington D.C. is not going to solve the problem with new laws and giving out free guns to anyone who wants one certainly will not either. We need to work harder and commit as a state, region and city to drive gun violence numbers much lower and the first thing constructive towards accomplishing that goal is to ignore the people on the far left equally as well as the people on the far right because neither one of them bring realistic options to the table to diminish the Effing problem.
    The kicker is the neighborhoods in most need of policing are the ones that hate cops the most. We need heavier policing in these areas these people in these neighborhoods don’t deserve to have a say. I’m sick of the excuses. I don’t like Rudy Giuliano but he did a hell of a job cleaning up New York crime.

All I can say is, The Good Lord has you covered. 42 years without a incident is impressive. There are tons of people who can't lay claim to that.
    In *any* city, not just Detroit

This just sucks. Smdh. Detroit really has made some strides. We need to get rid of that damn stigma. Gets old. Time to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Almost all stats comparing locations are per capita. Not sure why crime should be any different.
    Because per capita stuff shouldn't be infinitely scalable. I remember when I was a kid and there was a murder in my grandparents small town of 800 people. It was a domestic thing, but for that year, this little town had a murder rate of 125 per 100,000. In 2019, Detroit's murder rate was 41. Based on per capita alone, my grandparent's town was a war zone.

Now obviously this is an extreme example, but it underscores the limitations of per capita stats. Yes, Detroit has a higher per capita murder rate than Chicago. But, in terms of sheer numbers, Chicago's total murders are staggering. When a dozen or more people get killed in a single weekend, that's not nothing.

Another way to put it: my wife is an immigrant who's never been to Chicago or St. Louis [[whose murder rate is much, much higher). But I asked her [[without any context) which city she would feel safer in and she said St. Louis because they don't have so many shootings. Again, the raw numbers have a practical impact on the definition of "Safety" for a city, even if it's in perception alone.

Perspective and perception...

Chicago is America's third largest city in terms of population [[not sure about landmass size).

Detroit has a population [[now) of around 665,000. That's small numbers compared to Chicago.

[[Detroit was at 750,000 ten years ago, so the city is still shrinking.)

Chicago's violent crime is centered on only three suburbs if I'm not wrong - mostly Cabrini Green, unless things have changed. Detroit crime could happen anywhere. Or everywhere. It's more spread out throughout the 'burbs.

Violent crime is only one type of crime. It grabs headlines. Drug dealing is a massive form of crime and even that wouldn't be classified as 'violent' unless a transaction turns messy.

Is there a 'thread' [[similarities) running through these cities that routinely get black-listed for their "violent crime" reputation?
    Last edited by night-timer; June-30-21 at 01:39 AM.

There are tons of people who can't lay claim to that.
    A ton of people is less than a dozen.

Quote Originally Posted by KnnNike View Post
    Because per capita stuff shouldn't be infinitely scalable. I remember when I was a kid and there was a murder in my grandparents small town of 800 people. It was a domestic thing, but for that year, this little town had a murder rate of 125 per 100,000. In 2019, Detroit's murder rate was 41. Based on per capita alone, my grandparent's town was a war zone.

Now obviously this is an extreme example, but it underscores the limitations of per capita stats. Yes, Detroit has a higher per capita murder rate than Chicago. But, in terms of sheer numbers, Chicago's total murders are staggering. When a dozen or more people get killed in a single weekend, that's not nothing.

Another way to put it: my wife is an immigrant who's never been to Chicago or St. Louis [[whose murder rate is much, much higher). But I asked her [[without any context) which city she would feel safer in and she said St. Louis because they don't have so many shootings. Again, the raw numbers have a practical impact on the definition of "Safety" for a city, even if it's in perception alone.
    Sure you have to digest the numbers properly. I agree most people just glance at headlines for everything these days. Go on any of the tourism sites, and you'll see, "is Detroit, Chicago, etc. safe?" The answer of course is, "yes if you stay in the right areas." Still, you can't dispute that overall for a mid-size city like Detroit it's violent crime is extremely high.
    Last edited by 401don; June-30-21 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KnnNike View Post
    In *any* city, not just Detroit
    Gotcha, but it was Detroit specific.

Chicago's violent crime is centered on only three suburbs if I'm not wrong - mostly Cabrini Green, unless things have changed. Detroit crime could happen anywhere. Or everywhere. It's more spread out throughout the 'burbs.
    What are you talking about? suburbs? No, Chicago's violent crime is happening in vast swaths of the city mainly the South and West sides which is a bigger area than all of Detroit. Crime can obviously happen anywhere in Chicago, I always hear stories about retail on touristy avenues getting robbed.

...three suburbs if I'm not wrong - mostly Cabrini Green
    Cabrini Green isn't a suburb.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast