Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default The 2021-2022 Detroit Pistons

I thought I would kick this thread of in that the Pistons lucked out in the draft lottery and have the Number 1 pick for the first time since 1970 when they chose Hall of Famer Bob Lanier.

The consensus choice for number one is a 6'7" guard Cade Cunningham of Oklahoma State who look at only 19 looks impressive and ready to start in the pro's. Pick him.

I've posted optimistic takes in these threads for a few years now, but this is the first time I am truly confident in the direction of the team, beyond just a playoff appearance. They executed the perfect tank and now can hopefully draft the kind of transformational player that can eventually take them back to true contention.

Hard not to be optimistic. The Pistons appear to have hit on all 3 1st round picks from last year, making Weaver look like a genius. The jury is still out somewhat on Hayes, only due to his lack of experience and need to improve his shooting. You can forget all the "Pistons will explore all options" nonsense. Cunningham is the type of versatile player who can play 3 positions and do everything well every team is looking for. There is no chance they don't draft him.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Hard not to be optimistic. The Pistons appear to have hit on all 3 1st round picks from last year, making Weaver look like a genius. The jury is still out somewhat on Hayes, only due to his lack of experience and need to improve his shooting. You can forget all the "Pistons will explore all options" nonsense. Cunningham is the type of versatile player who can play 3 positions and do everything well every team is looking for. There is no chance they don't draft him.
    I wouldn't say no chance they don't draft him. He's the safe pick, but I heard Weaver on a radio interview, say he's weighing his options from trade and pick offers from other teams, to doing his due diligence on Green and Mobley who he also is intrigued with. I think Cunningham should be the pick, but we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I wouldn't say no chance they don't draft him. He's the safe pick, but I heard Weaver on a radio interview, say he's weighing his options from trade and pick offers from other teams, to doing his due diligence on Green and Mobley who he also is intrigued with. I think Cunningham should be the pick, but we'll see.
    And the Tigers said the same when they drafted Torkelson. He has to say that just in case some team makes an insane offer, not to mention no league will allow a team to announce who it's going to draft no.1 ahead of time.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    And the Tigers said the same when they drafted Torkelson. He has to say that just in case some team makes an insane offer, not to mention no league will allow a team to announce who it's going to draft no.1 ahead of time.
    I get all that. But you never know what a team is willing to offer, especially close to or on draft night. I've seen big deals be made during the draft. Picks are like golden nuggets. Ask OKC. they have 38 picks in the next 7 years. 17 first rounders, and 21 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I get all that. But you never know what a team is willing to offer, especially close to or on draft night. I've seen big deals be made during the draft. Picks are like golden nuggets. Ask OKC. they have 38 picks in the next 7 years. 17 first rounders, and 21 seconds.
    Yeah I just heard that recently. That's insane. There was talk a few yrs. ago about eliminating the 2nd round, but that was probably before they had the G league to park them. Now would be a good time if you're into screwing with OKC.
    Last edited by 401don; June-28-21 at 04:11 PM.

Cade Cunningham has been officially selected by the Pistons with the #1 pick in the draft.

The more I listen to Cade Cunningham talk about coming here, the more I am excited for his arrival. He genuinely wants to be here. This is a guy who could have gone anywhere for college, but he was loyal to Oklahoma State. He has the talent and drive to be successful. And now the Pistons have both a GM and coach with proven track records.

Their future is bright and it will come sooner rather than later. It's not outrageous to argue that Detroit has one of the top under-23 rosters in the NBA.

I like the Livers pick too. Worst case scenario, he sells a lot of tickets for the Pistons new G-League team playing at Wayne State this season. But if he can stay healthy, there's a lot of value in a guy at his size and shooting ability.

Cade putting on the buffs was the highlight of the night for me though. It's cool to see a pick embrace the city like this so quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    I like the Livers pick too. Worst case scenario, he sells a lot of tickets for the Pistons new G-League team playing at Wayne State this season. But if he can stay healthy, there's a lot of value in a guy at his size and shooting ability.

Cade putting on the buffs was the highlight of the night for me though. It's cool to see a pick embrace the city like this so quickly.
    It's always fun to follow a guy you watched closely on the college level to see if he can further develop his game to make it in the NBA. He's definitely a borderline guy. His shot may get him an NBA roster spot after a year in the G but he's fighting being a little slow and undersized.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post

Not to mention Luka Garza

Quote Originally Posted by bartocktoo View Post
    Not to mention Luka Garza

Garza reminds me a little of Bill Laimbeer. He's not as good of a rebounder or defender as Bill though. He should make the team on his work ethic alone. Pistons had a good draft. Just don't understand trading Plumlee and swapping picks with Charlotte, 37th for 57th. I know they gained over 8 million in cap space by doing so. Did they want to dump him that bad?
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; July-30-21 at 10:07 AM.

Pistons look terrible this year. I think they were more entertaining to watch last year - and last year they sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Pistons look terrible this year. I think they were more entertaining to watch last year - and last year they sucked.
    Casey has this belief that if you keep jacking up 3's they will eventually fall. It seemed to work with the Raptors. Many young guys who struggled early turned into good shooters but I hardly think it's a guarantee. Cunningham will play and shoot much better but I'm not so sure about the rest of them. What happened with Bey's shot? Stewart is over matched. Not much point having a 6'8" center if he can't step out and shoot. With Olynyk playing mostly outside they desperately need help on the boards.
    Last edited by 401don; November-03-21 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post

I agree. If you don't have good 3 pt shooters, why shoot them? J Jackson isn't good at it, Hayes can barely shoot 2 pt shots let alone 3's. Olynyk and Bey are they're best 3 pt shooters, and that's not enough. They play hard, but are overmatched most games. Need more talent.

It's going more than Cade to make Pistons win more games. He's not the next Isaiah Thomas. It takes a team to win games.

Good points 401don. I think water will find its level with the shooting percentages. Also, games are being officiated a lot looser this season and there's a new ball [[Wilson instead of Spaulding) that could be a factor.

As far as Cade, I'm not really concerned. His last non-exhibition games were last March in college and he's coming off an injury. Rookie guards also take a little longer to adjust to the NBA game, even without injuries and rust factor. He'll be fine. It's Stewart that I am a little worried about. Without an outside shot, he isn't as much of a factor. But, its a long season and expectations should still be pretty low, even with Cade.

Never cared a whit about basketball. Dumb game. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Wow such an edgy comment

I agree Ray, and I have watched my share of games. The pro game can be cut back to 7 minutes to go in the fourth quarter giving each team 100 points each.

Quote Originally Posted by 13606Cedargrove View Post
    I agree Ray, and I have watched my share of games. The pro game can be cut back to 7 minutes to go in the fourth quarter giving each team 100 points each.
    I'm sure the Pistons, who haven't got close to 100 in half their games, would agree with this dumb comment.

In the month of November, I would usually go downtown to catch a game or two. If this team keeps getting blown out I'll keep my money in my pocket, who wants to watch this shit? - Guess I'll just hitch my wagon to the Detroit Lions star and hold on tight.

What's dumb about it? I can say the same for hockey. Hockey is the least popular of the major sports anyway, just sayin...
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; November-06-21 at 11:36 AM.

No one gives a shit how you feel about basketball.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast