Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Default Raining in Detroit - Expressways and Homes Flooded

I don't recall the last time I've seen a weather line up like this. Add in yesterday and it's nine days.
    Name:  Detroit Weather.png
Views: 3756
Size:  45.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I don't recall the last time I've seen a line up like this. Add in yesterday and it's nine days.
    Name:  Detroit Weather.png
Views: 3756
Size:  45.3 KB
    Last I checked, this is much needed rain for Detroit too.

Name:  drought.jpg
Views: 3787
Size:  57.9 KB

Wave after wave... 2-5" over next seven days.
    Name:  waves.jpg
Views: 3808
Size:  77.0 KB

I don't understand how we were ever in a drought, it's been raining consistently since spring. I've never had to even water my tomatoes because it's always rained every other day.

More rain coming to Michigan today means less drought tomorrow. Thank you Lord for bringing the rain.

We got about 6" of rain in 2020. It rained yesterday, first time in about 6 weeks, maybe 0.2".

Got about a tenth of an inch yesterday in Las Vegas. We're 1.2 inches below normal right now, but we only get 4.3 inches per year on average.

Name:  waves.jpg
Views: 3808
Size:  77.0 KB
    I think we already received way over the two inches if my very sophisticated rain gauge [[old soup can held in place by bricks) is accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I think we already received way over the two inches if my very sophisticated rain gauge [[old soup can held in place by bricks) is accurate.

I think you're going to need a taller can.

^^^ "Double" L[O]L Honky T! Indeed... what a mess!

Not a laughing matter for those with flooded basements and ruined vehicles. I wonder how Ferndale and Oak Park are fairing?

Hundreds of calls of flooding cars on freeways
    https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/hun...troit-freeways

Widespread flooding reported...
    https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...metro-detroit/

...Up to 4 inches of rain soaks streets and basements
    https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ds/5654013002/

https://twitter.com/AustinIkechi/sta...7Ctwgr%5Etweet
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-26-21 at 07:00 AM.

Conner Creek pumping station quit working according to Channel 2 which is what has doomed the East side to flooding

From one of Zacha341's links above.

"The problems stretch beyond the freeways, however. A Detroit firefighter told FOX 2's Amy Lange that most roads in the city are impassable and that every fire company has been out all night responding calls.

"The firefighter said there are probably 1,000 cars underwater and two fire engines had to be towed from the flooding."

Live Traffic map from just now.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 10.44.29 AM.jpg
Views: 3733
Size:  158.5 KB

I’ll take some.

Senate Theater has 7 feet of water in the basement affecting the new boilers for the heating system and the blower for the organ. Does any one have a gas pump they can use?

I've hit my limit on image uploads, but if you can find the radar storm precipitation total online, it's amazing how narrow and concentrated the precipitation swath is. A range of 5 or more inches squeezed between I-94 and the river, from Livernois to downtown to the Pointes and out into Lake St Clair.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Conner Creek pumping station quit working according to Channel 2 which is what has doomed the East side to flooding
    Apparently, pumps failed all around but mostly in Wayne County. Who's the official responsible for maintaining the pumping stations?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I've hit my limit on image uploads.
    Mikem... been there done that. Send a Message to Lowell, and he will gladly up your personal size limit for images.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    If you can find the radar storm precipitation total online, it's amazing how narrow and concentrated the precipitation swath is. A range of 5 or more inches squeezed between I-94 and the river, from Livernois to downtown to the Pointes and out into Lake St Clair.
    Yeah... I had been watching the radar weather maps closely the past 2 days, and the weather map "red area" [heavy rainfall] seemed to be either north of my home in St. Clair Shores [thru Macomb Twp], or to the south, thru Detroit and the Grosse Pointes. SCS was lucky and had mostly green [light rain areas].

First off, my heart goes out to the people who lost everything in the floods. But I wanna take a minute and speak on something that came out of Nicole Small's mouth. Small is a member of the Detroit Chater Commission[[who was involved in controversies during chater meetings including attacking a member which was caught on tape)and she did a live stream show on her facebook page and making really stupid rants blaming everything on Mayor Duggan for the city's flooding. In my opinion what she said on her live stream was very ignorant!! NO ONE is not to blame here and this flooding issue is not just here in Detroit, is happen in Dearborn, parts in the suburbs and the midwest areas. Chicago is also going through this.I also heard that powerlines are down. As we all know, I-696 and other Metro Detroit area's floodings was like this a few years ago. Detroit's infrastructure is VERY VERY OLD, we're
    talking about decades here. It's going take millions and millions of dollars to get it replace throughout the entire city. Just wanna bring that up.
    Last edited by THE FURY 617; June-27-21 at 03:41 AM.

I didn't check the news today until this evening, and was stunned to see the rainfall totals for some parts of the metro area.

Dearborn officials reported 7.5 inches of rain... holy crap!

Here are rainfall totals for other parts of he greater metro area...

• Garden City - 6.6 inches
    • Grosse Pointe - 6.5 inches
    • Ann Arbor - 5.3 inches
    • Detroit - 5 inches
    • Ypsilanti - 4.7 inches
    • Bloomfield Hills - 4.3 inches
    • Richmond - 4.2 inches
    • Pontiac - 4.1 inches
    • Armada - 4 inches
    • Shelby Township - 3.9 inches
    • Farmington - 3.5 inches
    • Farmington Hills - 3.3 inches
    • Port Huron - 3.2 inches
    • Manchester - 3.1 inches
    • St. Charles - 3 inches
    • Troy - 2.8 inches
    • Westland - 2.7 inches

You all should be thanking Jesus for bring in rain to our state. Now the drought problem has going down a bit. So what you all lost your car and your basements flooded and you all can't go to work. We're problem solvers. It least this late monsoon raining season will help with our trees, grass and our food supply.

You all should be happy.

It least we are not living the wild, wild, west where the environment is hot, dry and filled with flash wildfires and rolling blackouts.
    Last edited by Danny; June-27-21 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I didn't check the news today until this evening, and was stunned to see the rainfall totals for some parts of the metro area.

Dearborn officials reported 7.5 inches of rain... holy crap!

Here are rainfall totals for other parts of he greater metro area...

• Garden City - 6.6 inches
    • Grosse Pointe - 6.5 inches
    • Ann Arbor - 5.3 inches
    • Detroit - 5 inches
    • Ypsilanti - 4.7 inches
    • Bloomfield Hills - 4.3 inches
    • Richmond - 4.2 inches
    • Pontiac - 4.1 inches
    • Armada - 4 inches
    • Shelby Township - 3.9 inches
    • Farmington - 3.5 inches
    • Farmington Hills - 3.3 inches
    • Port Huron - 3.2 inches
    • Manchester - 3.1 inches
    • St. Charles - 3 inches
    • Troy - 2.8 inches
    • Westland - 2.7 inches
    Rainfall so far this year for Las Vegas: 1.1 inches. But it's a dry rain.

Quote Originally Posted by THE FURY 617 View Post
    NO ONE is not to blame here...
    Agreed, no one is to blame. But someone is responsible. To wit, there are elected or appointed commissioners who at the very least have the responsibility to come forward and state the obvious, that the pumps are shitty and old and prone to fail and to propose solutions. I think of the immortal words of Lloyd in 'Dumb and Dumber' We got no food, we got no jobs, Our pet’s heads are falling off!

Those words apply to this entire country and how it forgot how to have a basis for civilization.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    ...the immortal words of Lloyd in 'Dumb and Dumber' We got no food, we got no jobs, Our pet’s heads are falling off!

P.S. Oh! by the way, screw Nicole Small who is just a
    nother politician.

This just popped up on my Facebook feed as a share:
    Lowell Boileau
    "When the expressway age arrived, and Detroit carved up its metro to accommodate the new routes, it was determined to place large sections of them below ground level. It had the benefit of neighborhood noise reduction and visual advantages--out of sight, out of sound. Sadly the drainage solution in downpour situations has never been adequate as has been shown once again this week as over a thousand vehicles were reported submerged in flooded expressways."

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast