Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Black College Marching Band Scam

For Almost 10 years a group of young Africans American guys has been going around Downtown, mostly on Woodward, pretending to be High School Students trying to shake down people to donate for a fictional High School Students marching band contest, called "The Black College Tour" Please beware, they will get you to sign a fake petition, then shake you down for donations, many of the victims are gullible elderly woman at bus stops.

Last edited by shawring; June-23-21 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shawring View Post
    Please beware, they are will get you to sign, then shake you down for donations, many of the victims are gullible elderly woman at bus stops.
    Presidential material no doubt.

I have seen them hustling and flowing Downtown trying to scam people. I just say ' no thanks' because I do not see a sign of school that they represent. If any of you all see them hustle and flow in the ghetto scamming people say 'no thanks' and tip the police. But keep yourself anonymous. Because the street code is 'snitches get stitches!'

I'm surprised with all the cameras and Rocket employees downtown this wouldn't get reported more and make it up the chain until something was done about it. I mean, 10 years?

Anyone who makes a charitable contribution should ask for a valid receipt for tax deduction purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by shawring View Post
    For Almost 10 years a group of young Africans American guys has been going around Downtown, mostly on Woodward, pretending to be High School Students trying to shake down people to donate for a fictional High School Students marching band contest, called "The Black College Tour" Please beware, they will get you to sign a fake petition, then shake you down for donations, many of the victims are gullible elderly woman at bus stops.

beyond downtown.. various folks, likely unconnected [[their 'documents' are likely easily duplicated, and in this social media era, especially), I've seen folks operating in Ann Arbor, various suburbs..

at least with the cute younger kids hawking candy/chips/water, you do get, well, some candy, water or chips..

Thanks for the heads up. I would caution, though, not to throw out the baby with the bathwater. MLK High, and other schools, sell water, candy, etc. to raise funds for bands and band trips. You can usually tell if you're being scammed.

Right-on HT. MLK still has one of the best DPSCD marching bands!