Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Anyone remember Joni Mitchell from her days at the Verona?

The apartment building on Ferry east of Cass?

I don't remember it; I was a preteen at the time, but here's a nice article about it:
    https://www.hourdetroit.com/community/sixties-folklore/
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    The apartment building on Ferry east of Cass?

The Verona was so Victorian that even the cockroaches wore bloomers and waistcoats.

I know someone who has an apartment/office in the Verona, and it is still a beautiful building. In better condition now, I suspect, than it was back in the '60s when that type of architecture and decor was disdained. And certainly more expensive.

My parents were big on folk music in those days and spent a lot of nights at Chess Mate and Raven Gallery. The Chuck and Joni thing was really short-lived. Only a couple of years at most. And, as the article indicates, apparently a bit awkward as a performing duo. My parents liked them though and there are a couple of Joni's early albums that I have from my dad's record collection.

Joni moved on to Graham Nash in short order, so it was okay for her. But even shorter lived; 2 yrs
    Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I know someone who has an apartment/office in the Verona, and it is still a beautiful building. In better condition now, I suspect, than it was back in the '60s when that type of architecture and decor was disdained. And certainly more expensive.

My parents were big on folk music in those days and spent a lot of nights at Chess Mate and Raven Gallery. The Chuck and Joni thing was really short-lived. Only a couple of years at most. And, as the article indicates, apparently a bit awkward as a performing duo. My parents liked them though and there are a couple of Joni's early albums that I have from my dad's record collection.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I don't remember it; I was a preteen at the time, but here's a nice article about it:
    In this interview, Joni Mitchell talks about escaping from her marriage in Detroit:

A Conversation with Joni Mitchell [[youtube.com)

I remember a few interesting Verona residents including Gary Andrews, Linda Bradley, Mike Slaski, Ates Tanin, Roy Grigsby, Richard Rosenberg, Marlene Tyre, and Dave Darakjian. Also living there was a swarthy, hirsute, stocky, seldom-bathed, mentally ill person named Rick who IIRC was schizophrenic. Except for Richard Rosenberg -- who was kindly toward him and protective -- most people avoided Rick.

Next door to the Verona one building to the east lived Howard Weingarden, who had his days and nights mixed up. All night long he used to paint while blasting hideous IMHO Wagner operas right next to my bedroom window. The operas and summer heat forced me to vacate my Verona lodgings.

Looking back, it seems funny but at the time it pissed me off.

https://www.detroitartistsworkshop.c...garden-howard/
    Last edited by Henry Whalley; April-04-24 at 01:59 PM.