Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Beaumont and Spectrum Health Announce Intention to Merge

Beaumont Health and Grand Rapids based Spectrum Health have announced their intention to merge.

Stories:
    https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...tent-to-merge/

https://www.wxyz.com/news/beaumont-h...lthcare-system

https://www.freep.com/story/news/hea...er/7722296002/

Beaumont Health, Spectrum Health announce intent to merge2 of Michigan’s largest health care systems exploring future together
    Photo does not have a caption
    Two of Michigan’s largest health care systems are exploring a future together, officials announced Thursday morning.

Beaumont Health, based in Metro Detroit, and Spectrum Health, based in Grand Rapids, announced Thursday that they have signed a letter of intent to explore merging the organizations together in an effort to provide more “accessible, affordable and equitable health care and coverage” for all Michiganders,

“Beaumont Health and Spectrum Health are leaders in our respective markets, and by bringing together our organizations to create a new system, we have the opportunity to deliver greater value in high-quality and affordable health care to our communities,” Spectrum Health president and CEO Tina Freese Decker said. “Together, we can provide a more personalized experience that prioritizes individuals’ health while also attracting and retaining great talent to our vibrant communities.”

The new organization, which will temporarily be named BHSH, would be the largest health care system in the state of Michigan.

Together, officials say BHSH would operate out of dual headquarters in the cities of Grand Rapids and Southfield, overseeing 22 hospitals, 305 outpatient locations and tens of thousands of employees.

Officials said Thursday that the goals of the new health system are to: improve health and health equity; enhance consumer experience; improve health care quality, value and outcomes; make health care more affordable; and listen to input from physicians and other staff.

You can read more about BHSH’s goals in their open “letter to the community” right here.

“As health care continues to evolve, there are a number of factors that proactive health systems must consider as they plan for the future,” said Julie Fream, board chair for Beaumont Health. “Beaumont Health has found a great Michigan partner in Spectrum Health, and together, we are uniquely positioned for success. As a new organization, we will provide Michiganders an enhanced, high-quality health care and coverage network built for them.”

Officials announced that Freese Decker would lead the new system, which will be governed by a total of 16 board members from across the state that will be appointed equally by both Beaumont and Spectrum. Fream would reportedly take position as the first board chair for the new system.

Take that Henry Ford Hospital, Ascension, And DMC...

Hospitals are now corporate. I'm about about to watch John Q on my streaming app.

When I was visiting my Beaumont doctor 3 weeks ago, I asked about the merger between Beaumont and that Wisconsin based [[for profit) hospital corporation. He told me that that merger fell thru.

So now Beaumont is merging with a fellow Michigan [[non-profit) hospital corporation instead.
    Last edited by Gistok; June-18-21 at 03:55 AM.

So Beaumont finally got a date to the prom...

So this will be the 3rd merger attempt for Beaumont, won't it?

They were successful in acquiring Oakwood, but there was also the proposed merger with Henry Ford in addition to "that Wisconsin-based [[for profit) hospital corporation."

At some point, Beaumont has to realize who's the common denominator in these failed mergers.
    Last edited by 313WX; June-18-21 at 07:57 PM.

I will not doctor at Beaumont since they lost me in a hallway for 3 hours and then admitted me into a room with a woman who had a stroke and I had to feed her because they would drop her tray in the window and never come back to give her breakfast. I fed her for 3 days. The nurses aides did thank me

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I will not doctor at Beaumont since they lost me in a hallway for 3 hours and then admitted me into a room with a woman who had a stroke and I had to feed her because they would drop her tray in the window and never come back to give her breakfast. I fed her for 3 days. The nurses aides did thank me
    Holy smokes, just WOW.

New Eric Starkman column about the merger:https://deadlinedetroit.com/articles...healthBeaumont

John Fox, the Atlanta carpetbagger who destroyed the company’s flagship Royal Oak hospital while pocketing more than $20 million for himself, appears close to pulling off what he set out to do from the moment he arrived in Metro Detroit six years ago: Merging southeastern Michigan’s biggest hospital network out of existence.Beaumont has signed a letter of intent to merge with Spectrum Health, a Grand Rapids-based hospital network focused on Western Michigan, the company announced internally Wednesday. The deal, which was announced Thursday, is still subject to various regulatory approvals.
    Spectrum CEO Tina Freese Decker will lead the combined company. I expect Fox to promote the deal as “a merger of equals” and it’s possible the Beaumont name could be retained in some capacity, but don’t be fooled: The combination is Fox’s Hail Mary attempt to cash out and distract from the extensive damage his leadership has caused.
    Beaumont spokesman Mark Geary ignored a request for comment. Spectrum spokeswoman Ellen Bristol Wednesday morning said she would “look into” whether a merger was imminent, seeming to indicate Deadline Detroit’s inquiry was the first she’d heard of a potential deal. She never followed up with a comment.The deal will invariably be good for Fox, as he will likely get a very lucrative exit package to sail into the Georgia sunset. Though Spectrum Health is a respectable hospital network run by a management and board deeply committed to the Grand Rapids area, the evidence is overwhelming that southeastern Michigan residents won’t ultimately benefit from the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    New Eric Starkman column about the merger:
    His articles always make me laugh. Replacing the, according to Starkman, corrupt and incompetent leadership of Beaumont with a respected and competent group from Grand Rapids is *bad news*? His articles don't even follow an internal logic, much less logic in general.