Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Hey Ray….

Default Hey Ray….

Warm enough for ya?

110 today, heading for a week of 115. Nice and toasty. Not a problem, but I shudder to think of what folks went through 100 years ago before air conditioning. Thank you again, Mr. Carrier!

P.S. Humidity is 3 percent. It's a dry heat. Thank God for that.
    Last edited by Ray1936; June-14-21 at 01:07 PM.

LAS VEGAS MON TUE WED THU CCCU Clark County WEATHER Credit Union AUTHORITY FRI SAT SUN HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT 111113 85 88 90 90 Normal High 99° 91 90 Normal Low 75° 88 MEESD NEWS3LV.COM'">

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    110 today, heading for a week of 115. Nice and toasty. Not a problem, but I shudder to think of what folks went through 100 years ago before air conditioning. Thank you again, Mr. Carrier!

P.S. Humidity is 3 percent. It's a dry heat. Thank God for that.
    We will trade you,our humidity is like taking the hottest shower you can stand and put your clothes back on without drying off,that is what it is like after 5 minutes outside.

You can always jump into lake mead to cool off,I see it is quite the popular wading pool as of late.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

You can always jump into lake mead to cool off,I see it is quite the popular wading pool as of late.
    Wading pool is correct. The lake has been receiving way-below normal water [[via the Colorado River) since all the snow along the continental divide has been on the eastern half.

Send water.

Wading pool is correct. The lake has been receiving way-below normal water [[via the Colorado River) since all the snow along the continental divide has been on the eastern half.

Send water.
    I wish I could,we have had rain every day and night for the last week,I watched a program where New Jersey and surrounding went through a 5 year drought where they were also scraping mud back in the 50s,I hope you guys figure something out.

You would figure with all those fleeing Cali they would at least bring a pipeline with them to increase the water flow.

I used to have a gold mining claim on BLM land out there and spent many months out in dry territory,without water you are done.

But then again Dubai was built in the desert and they figured out how to pump millions of gallons per day into that city.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

But then again Dubai was built in the desert and they figured out how to pump millions of gallons per day into that city.
    They built desalination plants. Could do the same thing here if things get critical, but it won't be in my lifetime.

It gets so hot in Phoenix that rear view mirror adhesive fails causing mirrors to fall off windshields. Vinyl dashboards crack wide open unless protected by fuzzy dashboard covers. Steering wheels get so hot you have to wear driving gloves. People don't park near stores, instead they park under shade and walk.

The best adjective for that kind of heat is "searing."

In 2004, a 400,000 pound bank of transformers failed. It was so huge that the nearest replacement was somewhere in the northwest. They had to barge it down the Pacific coast to LA then truck it over the desert to Phoenix. At one point it fell off the truck! Meanwhile, everyone in Phoenix was sweating bullets trying to conserve electricity without air conditioning.

"It's a dry heat"? Not during the annual monsoon season.

Mothers don't let your babies grow up to be Phoenicians.

The problem with transformers is they are not made in this country anymore,where they are manufactured they supply them to the world and if there is multiple disasters across the world we have to get in line.

Interesting how Florida sold the water rights to all of our natural springs to the water bottling companies,you get arrested for swimming in them now.

So they pump out millions of gallons everyday to fill up water bottles,you figure they could just fill up tanker trucks and help fill up lake mead,instead we end up with millions of plastic bottles laying everywhere,roads rivers and ocean half filled with water wasted.

But then again people would have to resort to drinking tap water - god forbid.

Florida has filed lawsuit after lawsuit with Georgia for decades over limiting the river water flow to the south.

There is enough water in this country to help those states that need more but it’s like gold and they take the stance of,you ain’t getten none of mine.

Which is kinda stupid because if the water runs out,everybody will move to where the last puddle is then nobody will have any.
    Last edited by Richard; June-18-21 at 09:03 AM.

Hit 114 yesterday in Vegas, breaking the old 113 mark. More through the weekend.

Jimaz is correct, the hot sun beats the daylight out of automobiles. Fortunately, mine is garaged when not in use.

Meanwhile, my most strenuous efforts of the day will be to keep the birdbath and the feeders properly filled.

... Jimaz is correct, the hot sun beats the daylight out of automobiles. Fortunately, mine is garaged when not in use....
    I just now remembered another quirk.

At one time, you couldn't use "sealed" batteries because you'd have to get into them to replace the distilled water that evaporated from the severe heat. But that was 15 years ago. Maybe batteries have improved.

I'm just happy to live in Michigan now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I just now remembered another quirk.

At one time, you couldn't use "sealed" batteries because you'd have to get into them to replace the distilled water that evaporated from the severe heat. But that was 15 years ago. Maybe batteries have improved.

I'm just happy to live in Michigan now.
    Guess they have. My 18 Ford Escape is now three years old with the original battery, and she's kicking over just fine. Prolly need a new one come winter. I won't fool with it; first time it groans more than usual I'll head for the battery store.

I'll take my two months of extreme heat over your six months of extreme cold any time, thank you.

Lol that’s how I cope when it is 98 degrees with 98% humidity and no rain.

By remembering growing up in the 60s n 70s in Minneapolis where it would be -50 with wind chill,nothing like coming out in the morning to find your battery,antifreeze and everything else frozen,what really sucked was during school if the busses could move you still went to school,and sometimes they would be the only vehicles on the road,there was no such thing as snow days.

A few years older now and been around the world and the one thing that remains consistent,is there is beauty where you look for it and every place has a trade off.

Funny how growing up my image of Florida was what I saw on television,sandy beaches,palm trees and every day is a vacation.

The reality is the palm trees are imported,it’s to hot to go to the beach and hang out 9 months out of the year,millions of critters that exist nowhere else in the county all fighting over to see who gets to eat you first.

No matter where you go in the country each place has their few months of bliss that make up for the rest of the seasons,for those who have them.

I really have not figured out the difference yet between shoveling driveways all for $1 all winter long freezing my ass off,so I can buy a new bicycle,or sweating my ass off 9 months out of the year in order to pay the A/C bill.

I know one thing though,between California and Arizona and where the water tables in the reservoirs stand today as depleted as they are,if we hit a 3 to 5 year drought like has happened many times through the decades there are going to be some serious issues going on,not only with the water but also with the power because of the hydro dams that depend on the same water flow.

I didn't realize how close the drought was to creating an electricity shortage. They're down to 66% efficiency now. Electricity is crucial for air conditioning.

Lake Mead level continues to drop, affecting power production

Doesn't seem to be much panic in the media so far. But I see where metro Detroit had a bunch of excessive water. Send it. Thank you.

...But I see where metro Detroit had a bunch of excessive water....
    And after Tuesday's storms we had over 200,000 customers without power. So, yeah. Michigan has its power problems too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    And after Tuesday's storms we had over 200,000 customers without power. So, yeah. Michigan has its power problems too.
    97% of all power lines in Las Vegas are underground [[much like most of AZ). That solves a whole bunch of problems at the git-go.

97% of all power lines in Las Vegas are underground [[much like most of AZ). That solves a whole bunch of problems at the git-go.
    Better yet you don't have any trees to fall on what lines you do have.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Better yet you don't have any trees to fall on what lines you do have.
    Hey, we have trees in Las Vegas! I think there were 12 at last count........

Hey Ray, getting a bit of rain down there? Looks a little soupy.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Hey Ray, getting a bit of rain down there? Looks a little soupy.
    Been a great monsoon season here this year. At my home in the foothills of Black Mountain, a couple inches in the last week. At the airport where records are kept, though, they've only recorded about an inch of rain, 1.08 inches below normal. Just came back from the store and the black clouds are really gathering to the south of the valley right now.