Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Triedstone Baptist Church

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  194.1 KBHello DetroitYes Forum! I have a question about the Triedstone Baptist Church. Before this building was sold and renovated who was the name of the architect who built the 1982 addition for Triedstone Baptist Church? Was he or she black? Also, I know that this building had a gymnasium a health clinic, and a couple of offices but what else did it contain? This was very interesting to hear about and I want to learn more about it.

History of the church building and beautiful interior photos.

Detroiturbex.com - Tried Stone Baptist Church / Taylor Shul

The funeral for Paul Williams of the Temptations was held there in August of 1973.

Central Detroit Christian Community Development Corporation has done some nice work rehabbing both of these buildings from the state they're seen in in that Detroiturbex post. Including a couple of very nice small mural paintings on the Woodrow Wilson facade by Detroit artist Tylonn J. Sawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tre View Post
    Was he or she black?
    Why would that matter?

Because I am looking for black churches in the city of Detroit built by Black Architects.

Because I am looking for black churches in the city of Detroit built by Black Architects.

There's a Black architectural firm that used to do presentations on Black architects, buildings they designed, and contributions they made. I went to a couple of their presentations but that was a few years ago and I can't recall the firm's name. If you could do asearch for their name, maybe they could help.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; June-14-21 at 01:49 AM.

I get it Tre. Specifically, in seeking an example of black achievement in this area! One of my cousins was going into that field of study. There's a black architecture firm setting in on Highland Park. I will check that out further and report in.

Last edited by Zacha341; June-14-21 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    There's a Black architectural firm that used to do presentations on Black architects, buildings they designed, and contributions they made. I went to a couple of their presentations but that was a few years ago and I can't recall the firm's name. If you could do asearch for their name, maybe they could help.
    Noir Design Parti was founded by Saundra Little, AIA and Karen Davis Burton to document the work of Black architects in Detroit
    https://www.noirdesignparti.com/

Also check out the Detroit chapter of National Organization of Minority Architects, aka NOMA at: https://www.nomadetroit.org/home
    Last edited by Kathleen; June-14-21 at 03:54 PM.

Bethel A.M.E. Church [[E Warren and Beaubien) designed by Nathan Johnson
    https://www.bethelamechurchdetroit.org/our-history

Nathan Johnson's Space Age Style
    https://floydhome.com/blogs/livedin/...pace-age-style

The building to the left is the former Beth Emmanuel Synagogue aka the Taylor Shul and later Tried Stone Baptist. Almost all former Detroit synagogues became Christian churches. I'm don't know who built the annex. Some synagogues had annexes for use as Hebrew Schools and social functions. Since the annex has a cross on it, it seems very likely that it was added by the church, although I have seen instances where Jewish symbols were replaced by Christian symbols.
    Name:  beth_emfull.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  39.1 KB

See the details here on my Lost Synagogues of Detroit site.
    http://www.shtetlhood.com/Beth_Emmanuel.htm

Oh wow! I have to go see it!