Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Det News Over 70% of Murders unsolved

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...orm-in-Detroit

That's astounding! Worse - by the News printing this story violent prone criminals will be encouraged even further to commit more violent crime. I am not saying its not newsworthy, however, and the paper has a right - perhaps a duty to write about this.

Do readers agree this should be published or is it too detrimental- to residents, possible visitors and too encouraging to criminals?
    Last edited by Ocean2026; September-10-09 at 09:56 AM.

Idoubt most of the murderers are reading the papers. Additionally, I think that he majority of people that commit murder have been involved in many previous crimes and know the shortcomings of DPD already.

If anything articles like this may help bring attention to the fact that DPD needs significantly more manpower and people need to better cooperate with the police

jt1, the last stats I recall, which are 3-4 years old, stated that Detroit had 40-41 police officers per 10,000 residents. That gave them a ratio in the highest ten among major municipalities. The percent of officers responding to calls, however, was less than 30%, which put Detroit at the bottom of the list. If still true, that would indicate that the problem isn't numbers, but how those numbers are being used.

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    jt1, the last stats I recall, which are 3-4 years old, stated that Detroit had 40-41 police officers per 10,000 residents. That gave them a ratio in the highest ten among major municipalities. The percent of officers responding to calls, however, was less than 30%, which put Detroit at the bottom of the list. If still true, that would indicate that the problem isn't numbers, but how those numbers are being used.
    Jim - I believe a lot of officers have been cut in those 3-4 years but your point is probably correct. I think that one of the issues with DPD is that they have officers performing work that many other cities employ civilians to do. As far as I'm concerned every officer should be on the street and non-critical items such as data entry, etc should be performed by civilians.

Yes, let clerks do clerk work and have police do police work where it counts.

Sometimes I think they need to call out the national guard it is so bad!

check out this recent article from the Free Press: http://www.freep.com/article/2009090...ve-of-slayings

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitgayhistoryguy View Post
    Sometimes I think they need to call out the national guard it is so bad!
    Didn't work out so well the last time...

Statistics like that need to be reported. They should also print out a map which shows where such crimes occur. I think that typically municipalities do not do that, because they are afraid of scaring the residents out of the problem areas. The Hamtramck mayor wanted to do that 8 years ago, but he was talked out of it.

gravitymachine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    Statistics like that need to be reported. They should also print out a map which shows where such crimes occur. I think that typically municipalities do not do that, because they are afraid of scaring the residents out of the problem areas. The Hamtramck mayor wanted to do that 8 years ago, but he was talked out of it.

you mean like this one?

http://detroit.mi.crimeviewcommunity.com/default.asp

granted the incidents mapped only go back 30 days and does not include homicides

That's pretty awesome! But that is a bummer it only goes back 30 days. Some of the folks on this site looking to rent or buy might find this handy.

I see there were 3 burglaries within 1/2 mile of my house in the previous 30 days. That gives me the warm fuzzies.
    Last edited by RickBeall; September-10-09 at 12:07 PM.

Eeek...maybe some things are better left "unknown" right Rick?

No snitching!

Quote Originally Posted by gravitymachine View Post
    you mean like this one?

http://detroit.mi.crimeviewcommunity.com/default.asp

granted the incidents mapped only go back 30 days and does not include homicides
    This is good, but I wish it gave more than a max of a half mile radius.

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    Let's also take into context the idea that Detroit Police have considerably more area to cover than competing cities for those Officer/Residents ratio. Crooks are in the business of "not making it easy" to catch them. They can be spread out very widely and congregate where police are often unseen. If the area is marked and patrolled, they can just move to the next sector left unpatrolled. It's a cat and mouse game that has had both time and participants willing to perfect the art here in Detroit.

I am for the media publishing this info. I have noticed on this board over the past 4 years or so since joining that our forumers have become increasingly vocal about the lack of police protection, and vice-versa, the increase in pointless violent crimes. I really think that people here at Dyes are fed up with the lack of control in the city and will soon find a unified way to be heard by Poli's, criminals and citizens alike. How many more pointless murders can we watch get reported? How many more times can we stand to hear about poor police response? It is getting to a very critical point between order and chaos.

This story really adds the icing to the cake.
    http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...eaving-Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by HoodKING View Post
    National Guard almost as worthless as our Arm Forces...I perfer mercenaries opps sorry we already have the Marines..
    WTF are you inferring here?

Don't feed the trolls.

Quote Originally Posted by eriedearie View Post
    WTF are you inferring here?

I agree...Opps maybe I just did feed a troll....lol,lol,lol

Well well, I see the ever-incoherent Thrasher has made another attempt to regain access to this forum. HoodKING - another self-inflated username to gloss over a lifetime that lacks any real accomplishments...

Quote Originally Posted by HoodKING View Post
    I am not inferring I am quite direct and straight forward our state NG and our arm forces are incompetent and in the case of our military they have become mercenaries..I have no problem indicting them and I object to the waste of tax dollars and the lost of innocent life...I am onw who has no problem with confronting not only military brass but soliders as well since we have a voluntary force and no draft...

Clearly soliders who contribute to immoral and illegal activities deserve to be indicted if they engage in war crimes and of course in a democracy I have the duty to be critical of any government agency and department and activity..

I hope I handled your WTF inquiry..
    Spot on! It is voluntary - have you, or do you, intend to volunteer to do your best to protect and defend the country you live in?

I have several relatives and friends overseas protecting and defending our country. Some have gotten injured doing so.

Would you voluntarily put your butt in a tank that was rolling over the sandy roads of Afghanistan in 120 degree heat? Would you fight those cowards that hide in the mountains after they've set up roadside bombs that blew your tank, you and your comrades sky high; blown up your commanding officer so badly that bits of him had to be picked up from here, there, over there, and everywhere? Do you think going through operation after operation and physical therapy to get you back on your feet after most of your left leg was blown apart in that blast is a lot of fun and games.

How about being the pilot in a Black Hawk chopper, going into the desert of Iraq to do a rescue mission; knowing that the lives of those on the ground depend on the split second decisions you make during that rescue flight and pick-up.

Why don't you go do that duty, Big Guy? Huh, would ya? Go volunteer - then get back to me.

You're going to call yourself? Man, you're more deluded that I thought.

Good luck in fantasy land.

And I never said I hated anybody, and I have no idea where you live. I hope you keep adding to this discussion board - every forum needs its buffoon, and you've earned the part!

Crazy people who refer to themselves in the third person are funny. Carry on, jester!

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    I think that one of the issues with DPD is that they have officers performing work that many other cities employ civilians to do. As far as I'm concerned every officer should be on the street and non-critical items such as data entry, etc should be performed by civilians.

Like communications. Radio dispatchers are sworn officers. Everywhere else I know, dispatchers are civilians.

Then there's SRT [[SWAT). In most places, SRT officers perform normal duties like patrol between call outs. DPD SRT is full time, no patrol or other routine duties.

Your disguise is flimsy, if not transparent. Being on public access tv just makes you the crazy version of Wayne's World especially when you tootle to the microphone to spread your laughable delusional views.

HK ...a self-deluded foolish person in a circle jerk metric of bloviated hackiness.

This message is hidden because HoodKing is on your ignore list.

LOL Hoodking were you saying a majority of residents have never been a victim of a murder? What about the [[permanently) silent majority? Aside from the facetious aspects of my remarks - the fact that a majority of the public has not been a crime victim is nothing to brag about,its akin to saying a majority of college educated Americans can speak an entire sentence without mispronouncing the words [[ sorry Bush). Big deal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast