Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Demolition crew discovers message in a bottle from 1913 at Michigan Central Station

Message in a bottle from 1913 discovered at Michigan Central Station [[freep.com)

It was another day of work for Lukas Nielson at the Michigan Central Train Station in Detroit tearing down structurally unsound plaster in the men's tea room, when he came across a glass bottle.
    Finding discarded beer bottles and cigarette tins from more than a century ago stuck in the walls of the train center is a daily occurrence for crews, but this bottle of Stroh's Bohemian Beer had an added bonus: A handwritten note.

Stroh's Bohemian Beer

Ahh to have a taste of pure Stroh's brewed with Detroit River water, or as Bob Seger said "a six pack of strohs"

Funny how beer tastes vary from region to region.

In the 70s, one of my cousins from Chicago thought that Strohs was the absolute best on the planet. If I brought him a case or even a 12 pack, he was in heaven.

At the same time, Old Style was my exotic brew of choice, as was Coors or Olympia, before they were common on supermarket shelves all across the country. Never got the taste for Heilemans Special Export, though.

Then there was Point Special from Stevens Point, Wisconsin. It, like Stroh's, was elixir of the gods for Chicagoans. I remember passing through Madison in the early 80s, stopping in a liquor store and buying three or four cases of Point [[about $6 or so apiece). They looked at me as if I was buying sewage treatment plant effluvia.

The adding machine was found in a secret room accessible only from an elevator shaft. That's some Hardy Boys mystery material right there. Listen at 6 minutes into May 28 Lauren Dreger {1380 AM WPHM}.

Earlier today I heard on WWJ that they were trying to enlist the public's help to find that illegible word in the bottle message but now I can't find the reference. One hypothesis was that it was a foreign {German?} word.

During an installation of a new sewer pipe to my mom's 1913 built house in Detroit, the workers found a 1912 Michigan License plate. It was probably left behind by the construction workers who were building the house between 1912 and 1913. It is currently in the basement. I imagine that part of the fun for a construction worker of buildings is to leave things in the walls of buildings to serve as time capsules. Given where the Stroh's beer bottle was found, that definitely sounds like the case.
    Last edited by royce; May-29-21 at 12:42 AM.

[Quote] At the same time, Old Style was my exotic brew of choice, as was Coors or Olympia, before they were common on supermarket shelves all across the country. [Quote]

And, as a bonus you could make a hanging light fixture out of the Oly ball.

Authorities have also found what appears to be the remains of Jimmy Hoffa but are not disclosing it until DNA tests are complete.

Name:  hoffa3.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  110.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    Authorities have also found what appears to be the remains of Jimmy Hoffa but are not disclosing it until DNA tests are complete.

Name:  hoffa3.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  110.0 KB

It does bare a striking resemblance.

Ford reveals artifacts found during Michigan Central Station renovations

It was two years ago that Ford Motor Company began the painstaking process of converting Michigan Central Station into office workspace.

Ford unveils plan for Michigan Central Station Thursday, Ford showed off some surprising artifacts that have been uncovered in the 107-year-old building.

FYI - there are wooden water supply lines running under the 600 block of E. Woodbridge.

I worked in light demolition / construction / carpentry way back when and learned of the tradition to leave a coin from the current year behind the wall where you worked, or the day's front page from the local newspaper if a current year coin wasn't at hand.
    Last edited by bust; June-09-21 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    FYI - there are wooden water supply lines running under the 600 block of E. Woodbridge.
    Thats crazy. Crazy cool.
    What kind of wood has survived so long?
    Last edited by bust; June-09-21 at 07:00 PM.

Usually water lines were made of cypress. I have a photo if I can figure out how to get it from my phone to here.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    Thats crazy. Crazy cool.
    What kind of wood has survived so long?
    http://www.sewerhistory.org/photosgraphics/pipes-wood/

article includes reference to wooden water lines in Holly, Mich.

sidebar: I wonder how elaborate the process is for getting rid of all of the vermin that have roosted in the station over the decades.. bugs, rodents, birds..