Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Nonprofits team up for 61-unit Islandview apartment development

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...nt-development

"Construction is expected to begin soon on the first part of a $20.2 million mixed-use development on the site of the former Eastern High School in Detroit's Islandview neighborhood.
    The $10 million first phase being developed by a joint venture between nonprofits GenesisHOPE Community Development Corp. and Lansing-based Cinnaire Solutions is slated to have 30 townhomes, plus amenities like a pair of pocket parks, a playground and a community garden. Financing is still being secured for the $10.2 million second phase, which would include 30 more residential units plus 3,000 feet of commercial space."

I’m a little confused by the location, which I’ve seen described as the site of the former Eastern High and as Mack and E. Grand Blvd. On street view I don’t see a big empty corner. Can some clarify where this is actually proposed to be built?

They have got to mean the corner of Mack and Field, one block east.

I’m pretty sure this project involves at least 75% of the block at Grand, Mack, Field and Preston, minus the corner of Mack and Grand where the church is. It was originally announced awhile ago and I seem to recall that’s what those renderings showed.

Oh that area where Coleman A Young went for his high school education.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3649...7i16384!8i8192

If they are built by non-profits, am I to assume that these won't be market rate residential units?

On a side note, if the city wants to help bring back "the Mack" Avenue, it needs to widen the side-walks. I know that's the way it's always been, but when I see the development just a few blocks south on Kercheval, I can see busy street life with possible outdoor seating on the sidewalk in front of a restaurant or cafe. And when I say widening the sidewalk, I simply mean adding an additional slab where there is vacant land, not extending the sidewalk into the current parking lane. It's a joke in the rendering of this project that they put people sitting along the sidewalk on Mack. Trust me, there's not enough room along Mack sidewalks for people to sit and walk by with a baby stroller.

Also, wouldn't Mack have been better served with bike lanes on each side of the street instead of a "useless" left-turn lane [[Mack between St. Jean to Mt. Elliot?). Mack's traffic is not that busy to necessity such a lane, yet there's no lanes available for other modes of mobility. Who makes these decisions and what do they base them on?
    Last edited by royce; May-22-21 at 05:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    On a side note, if the city wants to help bring back "the Mack" Avenue, it needs to widen the side-walks. I know that's the way it's always been, but when I see the development just a few blocks south on Kercheval, I can see busy street life with possible outdoor seating on the sidewalk in front of a restaurant or cafe. And when I say widening the sidewalk, I simply mean adding an additional slab where there is vacant land, not extending the sidewalk into the current parking lane. It's a joke in the rendering of this project that they put people sitting along the sidewalk on Mack. Trust me, there's not enough room along Mack sidewalks for people to sit and walk by with a baby stroller.

Also, wouldn't Mack have been better served with bike lanes on each side of the street instead of a "useless" left-turn lane [[Mack between St. Jean to Mt. Elliot?). Mack's traffic is not that busy to necessity such a lane, yet there's no lanes available for other modes of mobility. Who makes these decisions and what do they base them on?
    I don't know whose stupid idea was it to put a left turn lane on Mack. I had to literally use it as a passing lane because the car in front of me was driving way too slow. Mack is not wide enough for a left turn lane also not a bike lane that will have cars sitting or parking in the street such they are on Cass. Leave the bike lane for the much wider streets such as Jefferson, Grand River, and Gratiot

If they are built by non-profits, am I to assume that these won't be market rate residential units?
    I hope so, but I've become jaded.

NYU is a "non-profit". Tuition is upwards of $56,000 per year, room and board another small fortune.

Religious organizations are "non-profits". Some truly are; some others...
    Last edited by bust; May-23-21 at 01:43 AM.

Agree.

Because little traffic, and no enforcement, people often drive too fast around there too.

Lots of Detroit streets would benefit from "traffic-taming."

Win-win-win-win and more: Seating more practical, bike riding more safe, walking more likely, better business -- positive^4.
    Last edited by bust; May-23-21 at 04:54 AM.

No. Non-profit just means a company supposedly has a goal other than profit. They still make a profit and want to.

Don't see it going any different than usual Detroit developments, some affordable housing, most market rate.

If you guys want non-market rate housing then you should probably pressure your governments for a public housing renaissance.

"Non-profits" can rake in.

Their loopholes,
    Accountants,
    Their lawyers,
    "Investors",
    Their bankers,
    Patricians,
    Other wankers,
    Politicians,
    Execs,
    Their big checks,
    Legal tender,
    Board members,
    "Liberators",
    Wrote in.

The BS:
    Couldn't be us;
    Hell no,
    Hellnot we.

Too tutored:
    Outmaneuvered;
    Hell no,
    Hellnot me.

The record,
    Edu-discord,
    Never taught,
    However schools.

Disciples,
    Ever tribles,
    Never learn
    They never knew.
    Last edited by bust; May-24-21 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Oh that area where Coleman A Young went for his high school education.
    And my grandfather. Eastern High Indians, city football champions, 1922.