Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Need help with obits

Hey Detroit, I'm in Chicago and one of my relatives is doing genealogy [[who isn't). And I want to know is there a database of obituaries from about 1950-1970? We're looking for newspaper obits that the Michigan Chronicle might have, since we're an African American family. I remember the Chronicle did everybody's obit. Anyway, I wrote the Chronicle and they have NOT replied. Is there anywhere to look for [[black) obits? Thanks.

Death certs going back to about 1822. Not all are here but it's worth a try. Also try newspapers.com. I think you can get a free trial.
    https://michiganology.org/vital-records/

No, I don't have the funeral or grave information. It was in Detroit, I'm sure.

Newspapers.com, which requires you to join, can help you find "Death Notices" published in local papers around the U.S. My experience was a bit confounding because although I bracketed dates, I unexpectedly got hundreds of hits to wade through because the surname is not only a street name in Detroit, but also the name of a Ford dealership who placed scores of classified ads for used cars. As a side benefit, I learned the dealership was owned by two brothers who were nephews of my grandfather, therefore distant cousins of mine. There is a lot of stuff to mine out there.

I have a subscription to newspapers.com and The Michigan Chronicle is not in their data base.

If you want to list names and approx dates, I will check the Detroit papers they do have.

You can also check here:
    https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83045324/
    Last edited by jiminnm; May-10-21 at 12:16 PM.

The Detroit Public Library has the complete run of the Michigan Chronicle from 1939. 1939-2000 is on microfilm in the Burton Historical Collection.

"Find a Grave" might be helpful but I just put in the names of three of my relatives and it produced no results. It's hit and miss.

Try Google ""Name Of Relative" "obituary"" can also try adding date of birth, date of death, maiden name, name of spouse, name of parent or children one at a time.

Example: William L. Robinson obituary 1920 ,or Melva Jane [Williams] Robinson obituary 1925 ,or William L. Robinson obituary James Robinson

I prefer Family Search to MyHeritage, Ancestry and other US genealogy search engines because it is free. But go to each of those sites and do a search. Family Search is free but requires registration. Ancestry is very good but is expensive. Once in a while I do get a little bit free from them in searches.
    Last edited by oladub; May-12-21 at 11:26 PM.

^^
    Find a Grave is pretty much maintained by private persons who enjoy going to cemeteries to catalogue gravestones or by relatives who want to make sure their family is remembered and catalogued. That's why it's hit or miss