Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Cedar-Clad Apts. in Brush Park.

Too bad there isn't the money to put this kind of detail into every new boxy building. I really like this design:
    https://www.dezeen.com/2021/05/07/lo...troit-housing/

Get used to the 21st Century architecture. Millennials like it and they are living in it.

The cedar looks terrific at the outset, but I fear as it ages through the years, even a decade from now, it won't be nearly as attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    The cedar looks terrific at the outset, but I fear as it ages through the years, even a decade from now, it won't be nearly as attractive.
    +1

I really like it too. Wood is expected to "weather"; the cedar will turn a silvery-grey over time. Personally I think it will look even better then. Weathered, or not yet, it sure appeals more to me than the neo-colonial rowhouses down the street.

It's great to see the construction coming to fruition. Looking good!

I agree, the wood should end up looking pretty nice. I'm curious about how it will look from the corner, since the wood will change depending on its exposure to sun and weather. I'm a fan of wood facades.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I agree, the wood should end up looking pretty nice. I'm curious about how it will look from the corner, since the wood will change depending on its exposure to sun and weather. I'm a fan of wood facades.
    I’d be concerned about the first floor as well. Part will be protected by the overhang; part could be soaked or get a lot of sun at ground level. Might result in some unpleasant weathering differences.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; May-08-21 at 02:53 PM.

Didn't they say the wood was heavily treated with something? Not sure it'll fade like some regular household cedar. And if it does they can just re-stain it easily.

They didn't stain the cedar, thankfully.
    No one does.

Only question is whether they treated it with UV-protective resins, or not.
    Hopefully not.
    Last edited by bust; May-08-21 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Get used to the 21st Century architecture. Millennials like it and they are living in it.
    Millennials are pushing 40. They live in the burbs, watch HGTV, drive SUVs to soccer tournaments and haven a couple kids.

Gen Z may be renting these tho. The silvery grey weathering is likely the intended look.
    https://www.timbercladdingsolutions.co.uk/private-home-sioo/
    Last edited by hybridy; May-09-21 at 08:18 AM.

It looks like what they build in Colorado to "bring in" the mountains

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    Gen Z may be renting these tho. The silvery grey weathering is likely the intended look.
    Oh the irony... I've been looking at my 17 year old "silver" Cedar privacy fence in the back yard, and thinking about painting and sealing it with a rust color, after a power wash, to get away from the weathered look.

Hmmm must be the "Baby Boomer" in me...

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    Millennials are pushing 40. They live in the burbs, watch HGTV, drive SUVs to soccer tournaments and haven a couple kids.
    Uh most Millennials are nowhere near 40. Youngest Millennials are still in their mid to late twenties.

There is no way Gen Z can afford these luxury apartments, these are full of older millennials and even some Gen X.
    Last edited by Satiricalivory; May-09-21 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    How much does it rent for?

Cedar is naturally insect and rot resistant. It'll look good and natural/warm for decades.

The City modern buildings are REALLY nice in their design and architectural diversity IMHO. It would have been east to throw up some 5 story boxes with the typical multi-color cladding and call it a day but Bedrock made them each unique.

Another building in this area I'm a big fan of is 320Edmund with it's sloping and twisting façade. I don't have a good picture of it but you get the idea on Emporis.

https://www.emporis.com/buildings/13...detroit-mi-usa

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Speak for yourself. I'm a millenial in my early 30s and I detest these 'modern' looks. I'm much more at home in my 1915 Albert Kahn house

Quote Originally Posted by KnnNike View Post
    Speak for yourself. I'm a millenial in my early 30s and I detest these 'modern' looks. I'm much more at home in my 1915 Albert Kahn house
    I’m in my late 20s and I’m quite happy in my 1920s moorish deco home. I have no desire to live in a sterile office building.

I'm 31 and I'm not going to post an additional comment bragging about the architect or architectural style of my home.

If you can't appreciate well done, modern architecture that's your misfortune.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    I'm 31 and I'm not going to post an additional comment bragging about the architect or architectural style of my home.

If you can't appreciate well done, modern architecture that's your misfortune.
    No no honey I just have standards