Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default DPD Chief James Craig for Governor

If the rumors are true this much can be stated. Considering the current state of the GOP... Chief Craig is an honest man. No stuffing pockets or pardoning friends that run scams on his supporters to be found here. He should make a formidable candidate.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...gn/4995380001/
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; May-07-21 at 08:12 PM.

I agree, he'll be formidable. I've respected him.

My first question though - yes or no, will you support any of the current legislation the GOP is trying to pass through state gov't regarding voter restrictions?

Unless he gives a clear immediate no then I won't consider him.

Sorry I will not be supporting James Craig as any politician when he becomes a Republican.

However if he was a democrat I will support him for any office.

Good luck Chief!

He could never get the nod from the current Republican [[Trump) Party. Many on the right will appreciate his stance on the protests but that's not enough to bring out the base in rural counties, and that's what's needed to win.

We all remember William Lucas, a talented and accomplished Carribean American gentleman who served competently as sheriff of Wayne County in the early 1980s. He announced that he was a Republican in 1985 and won the Republican nomination for Governor in 1986. He ran as a law and order conservative with an emphasis upon fiscal responsibility. In the
    November election, he lost to Democratic Jim Blanchard who won in a landslide. Is it that out-state voters are reluctant to cast their ballots for someone from Wayne County or Detroit? Does race make a difference or are there other issues about the lack of success of African American Republican candidates in state-wide races in Michigan?

Hell, I didn't even know he was a Republican. I thought he was a Dem, at least he carried his self as one.

.... the retirement announcement is abrupt enough. I'm curious who will be the interim chief, and whether there would be a quick internal search or a "national" search, which could be delayed depending on the results of this year's mayoral election in Detroit. Fire commissioner Eric Jones could be a candidate [[and of course, his own professional background is with the police department, not the fire dept.).

It would not be "appropriate" to announce a run for public office in the same press conference.

For now I'm willing to write it off as wishful thinking for certain cohorts of the anti-Whitmer crowd, particularly among Michigan's republican-sympathetic law enforcement. I'd be surprised if most of the Caucasian outstate electorate even knows of Craig for anything besides the Fox news appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    .... the retirement announcement is abrupt enough. I'm curious who will be the interim chief, and whether there would be a quick internal search or a "national" search, which could be delayed depending on the results of this year's mayoral election in Detroit. Fire commissioner Eric Jones could be a candidate [[and of course, his own professional background is with the police department, not the fire dept.).

It would not be "appropriate" to announce a run for public office in the same press conference.

For now I'm willing to write it off as wishful thinking for certain cohorts of the anti-Whitmer crowd, particularly among Michigan's republican-sympathetic law enforcement. I'd be surprised if most of the Caucasian outstate electorate even knows of Craig for anything besides the Fox news appearances.

I'm not sure I'd want Jones as Police Chief.

https://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/2...missioner.html

Having lived in Lapeer County for a large portion of my life, I don't think the Chief has much of a chance to get a toehold in the Thumb counties; IF they know who he is, they will just equate him with Detroit, a place most of them have either never been to or only driven through to go somewhere else. There is a fear of Detroit up in those parts. It's irrational but it's there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post

Good man or probably not I'd never vote for him, because he's the same party as those who control MI congress, and who continually, intentionally, and cynically f*ck things up-- especially for the Detroit area.
    Last edited by bust; May-08-21 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    Good man or probably not I'd never vote for him, because he's the same party as those who control MI congress, and who continually, intentionally, and cynically f*ck things up-- especially for the Detroit area.
    Oh yeah I canÂ’t see this comment opening a can of worms

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Sorry I will not be supporting James Craig as any politician when he becomes a Republican.
    Same here. GOP is only digging deeper as they institute voting laws in response to the fabricated voter fraud. They are still the party of Trump, hate, and insurrection. They want you to pledge allegiance to the flag, but try to overthrow it if you don't get what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    Oh yeah I canÂ’t see this comment opening a can of worms
    Face the facts.
    Them worms long already been feasting,
    Parasites, they cheat to succeed.

I am not endorsing any individual, a ideology or a political party with these comments.

Blind party loyalty is a major problem. It is exactly how we end up with corrupt leaders because way too many of us could care less about honesty, morality or character and strictly base their decision on whether a R or a D is after the candidate’s name.

If both parties presented us with more candidates that possess a belief that the rule of law applies to themselves, as well as all of us, we would be far better off for it.

Chief Craig is a positive addition to the field for the above reasons in my opinion.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; May-08-21 at 08:41 PM.

^^^ I couldn't agree with you more. In the last 25 years elections have turned into a sporting event or a popularity contest. But then we're programmed to cheer for teams since birth.

Well stated!

Increasingly ideas or a challenge against certain policies are interred exclusively to a party! Look at how many reasonable responses are now reflexively dismissed as too far left, or too 'GOP'.

This same low-resolution partisan interring applied also to the person who presents a countering idea or refuses to go along!

Great for politics [and towards the justification for censoring].

Not good for our right to have an individual voice!

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Blind party loyalty is a major problem. It is exactly how we end up with corrupt leaders because way too many of us could care less about honesty, morality or character and strictly base their decision on whether a R or a D is after the candidate’s name...
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-09-21 at 01:41 PM.

I'm afraid that former DPD Chief James Craig will not get Liberal Detroit along with Black Lives Matter folks or mostly white rural Michigan Republicans he needs to win for governor. And Whitmer still got a lot of strong Liberal Detroiters and other Liberals in small town cities to keep her seat in Lansing.

Try to take down Big Gretch. I don't think so.

Craig already lost.
    Last edited by Danny; May-09-21 at 10:51 AM.

He's been interviewed on Faux News several times in recent months, the latest, this past Friday......https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...nt/5011037001/
    Last edited by Maof; May-09-21 at 02:05 PM.

Isn't Craig the Deputy mayor of Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    He's been interviewed on Faux News several times in recent months, the latest, this past Friday......https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...nt/5011037001/
    He's on Fox News now, Justice w/ Judge Jeanine. He's always loved the cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    Isn't Craig the Deputy mayor of Detroit?

Nope....

https://www.hourdetroit.com/politica...ublic-service/

I rather liked Craig as police chief, but casting his lot with the Fox News liars and the party of insurrection against democracy is not a good look at all and isn't going to get him anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I rather liked Craig as police chief, but casting his lot with the Fox News liars and the party of insurrection against democracy is not a good look at all and isn't going to get him anywhere.

He turned Democrat!?!?
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-09-21 at 08:03 PM.

What ever happened to supporting a person based his Character and Principles.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    He turned Democrat!?!?
    The 1/6 insurrection belongs to the GOP, now and forever.

Fox News, on the other hand, is quintessentially American.
    The BS factory, indeed.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast