Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 100 year old Sturgeon caught in the Detroit River

I don't come from a family of fishermen so I had no clue they lived that long........https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/100...H21q7pR4L26Xbk

I haven't seen one that size since I was a kid growing up on the river. Still never THAT big.That's got to be the Sturgeon General.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I haven't seen one that size since I was a kid growing up on the river. Still never THAT big.That's got to be the Sturgeon General.
    Good one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-4-gLlF0uw

Here's a slightly larger one from a few years ago:

Record lake sturgeon caught in Wisconsin

That's got to be the Sturgeon General.
    Props for this.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    Props for this.
    Agreed...

How exactly do you coax it into the boat?

Rumors are that when they cut the sturgeon open they found the remands of Jimmy Hoffa. Tests show Jimmy’s body has been in the fish for 46 years but he was too tough to be digested. Hey, this is what I saw on the internet so it must be true!

Name:  hoffa [[2).jpg
Views: 649
Size:  130.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    Rumors are that when they cut the sturgeon open they found the remands of Jimmy Hoffa. Tests show JimmyÂ’s body has been in the fish for 46 years but he was too tough to be digested. Hey, this is what I saw on the internet so it must be true!

Name:  hoffa [[2).jpg
Views: 649
Size:  130.7 KB

That one gave me a belly laugh.

Are sturgeon's eatable? Probably too many bones. I've never seen any in stores or fish markets. One that size could feed a family for months.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; May-01-21 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Are sturgeon's eatable?....
    As caviar, but I don't know about the rest of the fish.

I don't think I would go within a mile of a century old cooked fish. It lived the majority of its' life before the EPA even existed. Lord knows what kind of pollutants it picked up from the Great Lakes system..

They used to be plentiful, and commonly eaten. I'm old enough to barely remember seeing it on menus / chalkboards up North, and think I remember talk about catching them. No idea how it tastes-- don't think I've ever had it. I love to eat fish but, Gistok, I completely agree: wouldn't knowingly eat anything caught downriver of Sarnia / Midland Bay, let alone anything that's lived there for decades.

I'm intrigued their ancestors swam with the dinosaurs, and they're interesting in many other ways.
    Last edited by bust; May-02-21 at 03:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    It lived the majority of its' life before the EPA even existed. Lord knows what kind of pollutants it picked up from the Great Lakes system..
    Same thing goes for my mother-in-law

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Are sturgeon's eatable?
    Absolutely they are. A little bony, yes, but also very light, soft and tasty. My grandmother grew up near the Canadian shore of Lake Erie around the turn of the 20th century. One of her earliest automotive memories was of a man would drive the Ontario country roads with a sturgeon or two on a board in the back of his car, selling off slices of the giant fish to farm families along the way.

Sturgeon is a particularly great fish to smoke. In fact, smoked sturgeon is such a delicacy, and in recent times an increasingly unobtainable one, that a famous NYC restaurant/deli is named for it.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Sturgeon is a particularly great fish to smoke.

Yes, but is it legal?

Yes, but is it legal?
    With a medical card.

Poor guy. I hope they at least released him back.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    maybe he was tired of swimming around for 100 years and said screw it and grabbed the first hook he could find?

How did they know it was a 100 years old moments after catching it?

A note on the post said the fish was processed before being returned to the river.

they are actually in protective status.
    Last edited by Richard; May-09-21 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Tagged and released. She can go on cruising the muddy depths.

Leave it to Tennessee to one-up Detroit on old fish.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/prehistor...195236463.html
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-10-21 at 04:23 PM.