Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Former Scripps Mansion site in Woodbridge envisioned for 65 townhomes

Via Crain's

Via HDC

The development would have 48 one-bedroom townhomes with about 1,300 square feet and 16 two-bedroom townhomes with about 1,600 square feet.

The HDC document says the development would include 15 three-story buildings with between two and seven townhomes each.
    Construction would begin in the fall and be complete within three years, according to the DBRA document.
    Name:  C-3700 Trumbull 2- Cam02_A_i.jpg
Views: 1086
Size:  70.5 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 11.52.51 AM.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  112.3 KB

I’d like to see floor plans. A one bedroom townhouse sounds odd to me as does one bedroom and 1,300 square feet.

I think there was already a thread about this.

Great to see something happening with that site. I'm just not crazy about the townhomes that face the old power station. I think they should have continued the continuity of the townhomes all facing Trumbull. The website for the development says the green space will be a community area, but if I lived there I would want more privacy with a community area towards the back by the alley. Again, good to see something going there.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    I think there was already a thread about this.
    I thought there was to, and I thought I started it haha. But I couldn't find it so if someone does we can merge them.

Damn just found it

https://www.detroityes.com/mb/showth...s-Scripps-Park

If an Admin can merge them that would be great, but it was only 4 posts so it's not a big deal

Is this 1970 again already?

Has anyone here checked the price of lumber lately? 3/4” plywood went from $35 to $95 in the last few months and still climbing. Nothing will get built at those prices.

It looks like they are going to save the pillars seen in these pics:

Trumbull at Brainard: 1900 | Shorpy Old Photos | Photo Sharing

[[or recreate them, there is something similar looking in the first drawing)

A check on Google maps from Nov 2020 shows three Trumbull-facing original pillars /[[plus one pillar with the top busted off) from the original estate. Nice if they can incorporate the three original pillars!

That old house took up the whole damn block?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Has anyone here checked the price of lumber lately? 3/4” plywood went from $35 to $95 in the last few months and still climbing. Nothing will get built at those prices.
    Welp, guess we're just gonna have to start building with brick again. :[[

That brick powerhouse building that survived from the Scripps estate will make for an interesting 1 unit residence [as seen in the PDFs]... probably with some high ceilings as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    I’d like to see floor plans. A one bedroom townhouse sounds odd to me as does one bedroom and 1,300 square feet.
    It sounds odd to me too. A one-bedroom is fine for an apartment, but a townhouse should have 2-3 bedrooms, preferably 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    I sure did. We're in the middle of a stairway rebuilding project and the materials cost just suddenly went up by about $2,500.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    That old house took up the whole damn block?
    The Scripps Mansion [[later the St. Mary's Home for Girls) and its grounds and out-buildings took up the southwest portion of the block. It burned down in the mid-80s. The Booth Mansion, which was built for James Scripps' daughter and son-in-law George Booth, stood directly across Trumbull where Scripps Park is today. It was used as a Detroit Public Library branch for many years before being torn down and replaced by a new branch library.