Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Was there a proposed pre-fabricated neighborhood in Warren?

On E. 8 Mile Rd. Between Warner Rd. and Ryan Rd. There was several blocks of Warren's South Side that has few homes and dead end to a trailer park. Was that hood a proposed sub-division that can go on for blocks? Or did the Great Depression or other land problems cause that area to stop development?

Any thoughts? Here is the pictures:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4488.../data=!3m1!1e3

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4478...7i16384!8i8192

That part of Warren is called West Methginia, and farther east is Methamtucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    That part of Warren is called West Methginia, and farther east is Methamtucky.
    Is that were you buy your crack?

I don't know about the dead-end streets, but that half-abandoned trailer park is seriously creepy.

There's this strange area of Warren in the south side of the city. I'm not sure where it is but I have seen it. It's a block [[or more then one block) of former military housing that was converted to civilian. The houses have sort of flat roofs with no attic area at all. It just seems kind of weird.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I don't know about the dead-end streets, but that half-abandoned trailer park is seriously creepy.
    I don't see how the city allows that place to stand in it's current form. Even for a trailer park, it's really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    There's this strange area of Warren in the south side of the city. I'm not sure where it is but I have seen it. It's a block [[or more then one block) of former military housing that was converted to civilian. The houses have sort of flat roofs with no attic area at all. It just seems kind of weird.
    I see a place off of Dequinder n/o 8 called Warren Manor that sort of fits your description.

Wasn't there some military housing off Mound, north of the GM transmission plant at 9 Mile? Built during the war when it was a munitions plant operated by Hudson?

...former military housing that was converted to civilian. The houses have sort of flat roofs with no attic area at all.
    There may be a few areas like that -- there are some old barracks in Centerline off 10 Mile just east of Van Dyke that may have housed troops who worked at the tank plant or were guarding German prisoners in the POW camp adjacent to the plant. The POW barracks were visible from Van Dyke.

That trailer park is where Eminem grew up....

Quote Originally Posted by donpablo View Post
    lol, no he didn't.

Don't believe everything you see in the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by donpablo View Post
    Eminem [[Marshall Mathers) grew up for the rest of his childhood in Warren. Later He lived with his girlfriend at a Detroit East Side Bungalow in 19946 Dresden St. south of 8 E. Mile Rd. between Groesbeck-Hoover Rd and Schoenherr Rd. Before he became a rap star and moved out.
    Last edited by Danny; April-17-21 at 07:49 PM.

Eminem grew up at 19946 Dresden but says he lived in some trailer parks, but isn't "from" a trailer park.
    https://www.mlive.com/entertainment/...85%20Schultes.
    Last edited by jcole; April-17-21 at 02:14 PM.

Warren once had a reputation for maintaining segregation. In 1970, the census enumerated 28 black families in Warren. 23 of them lived in the defense department housing mentioned in this thread.

Similar to many other suburbs, Warren's population fell substantially from 1970 to 2019; from 179,000 to 134,000 or a loss of 25% of its residents. But the suburbanization of the African American population has mitigated the immense problems associated with rapid population decline. A loss of 87,000 whites was offset, to some degree, by a growth of 26,000 African Americans. The suburb's population is now 20% African American. Statistical measures report that level of segregation are quite low in both Warren neighborhoods and in the schools of the Warren Consolidated School district.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    lol, no he didn't.

Don't believe everything you see in the movies.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Eminem grew up at 19946 Dresden but says he lived in some trailer parks, but isn't "from" a trailer park.
    https://www.mlive.com/entertainment/...85%20Schultes.
    He calculated what he did. Not that he had it easy, but he planned the Detroit reputation thing. Funny story - I lived on Shady Lane in St. Clair Shores years ago and apparently he did his Slim Shady Thing because he walked passed that street off the bus to get to Gilbert's Lodge, where he worked. I have no idea if it's true..

He didn't grow up on Dresden.

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    Warren once had a reputation for maintaining segregation. In 1970, the census enumerated 28 black families in Warren. 23 of them lived in the defense department housing mentioned in this thread.

Similar to many other suburbs, Warren's population fell substantially from 1970 to 2019; from 179,000 to 134,000 or a loss of 25% of its residents. But the suburbanization of the African American population has mitigated the immense problems associated with rapid population decline. A loss of 87,000 whites was offset, to some degree, by a growth of 26,000 African Americans. The suburb's population is now 20% African American. Statistical measures report that level of segregation are quite low in both Warren neighborhoods and in the schools of the Warren Consolidated School district.
    I've never heard this before ever, and I grew up in Warren. Not sure what it has to do with the subject of this thread either....

According to the article I posted, he spent his teenage years there. As a small child, he lived in Missouri. Between then and teens, he moved around a lot.
    I consider teen years to be "growing up"
    Quote Originally Posted by bartocktoo View Post

Quote Originally Posted by bartocktoo View Post
    Yes he did for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Eminem [[Marshall Mathers) grew up for the rest of his childhood in Warren. Later He lived with his girlfriend at a Detroit East Side Bungalow in 19946 Dresden St. south of 8 E. Mile Rd. between Groesbeck-Hoover Rd and Schoenherr Rd. Before he became a rap star and moved out.
    You got it backwards, he lived on Dresden St. temporarily as a child, his best friend Proof lived over there temporarily as well but Proof grew up on the west side on Puritan/Livernois with his cousin T-Stuckey. Em's then-girlfriend lived in Detroit off Chalmers street in a two family flat.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    Not sure what it has to do with the subject of this thread either....
    Post 10 seems to have taken a number of other posts off topic. Perhaps Admin can do a cleanup?

Quote Originally Posted by Sehv313 View Post
    You got it backwards, he lived on Dresden St. temporarily as a child, his best friend Proof lived over there temporarily as well but Proof grew up on the west side on Puritan/Livernois with his cousin T-Stuckey. Em's then-girlfriend lived in Detroit off Chalmers street in a two family flat.
    Still, he lived there are a while.