Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Walking Across the Ambassador Bridge?

I believe it used to be possible to travel from Detroit into Canada [[or vice versa) across the Ambassador Bridge on foot.

Is this correct?

What caused it to stop?

Can you walk any section of the bridge at all?

Yes. I walked over to a Tiger Game when I was in my early teens, around 1972. We passed kids younger than us coming over from Detroit walking and on their bikes. Hard to believe now. I'm certain it was not permitted after 911 but not certain if it stopped before that.

I peddled across the bridge in a 10 speed back in the late eighties. That was a feat! The worse part was carrying the bike up the see-thru grated steps leading to the actual foot/ road surface to actually start pedding.

You can still do it once a year, if you enter the marathon.

A long long time ago, the Girl Scout Troop I belonged to hiked across the bridge. Walked over with a friend whose Aunt lived in Windsor a couple of times. But, I can also remember further back when you weren't allowed to bring a camera into Canada and I had to sit on it in the car so it couldn't be seen?

All I know is that it was banned by 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by preserve View Post
    A long long time ago, the Girl Scout Troop I belonged to hiked across the bridge. Walked over with a friend whose Aunt lived in Windsor a couple of times. But, I can also remember further back when you weren't allowed to bring a camera into Canada and I had to sit on it in the car so it couldn't be seen?
    Weren't allowed to bring a camera into Canada? I find that one hard to believe. I could see if we were trying to sell a million cameras to Japanese tourists visiting Niagara Falls but they made them all back then.

We biked across it a few times when I was a kid, to go visit relatives we had in western Windsor, LaSalle, and Amherstburg. We even went to Bob-Lo that way once.

The Wikipedia article says that pedestrian/bicycle access to the bridge ended after 9/11, but I believe it was well before that. I used to drive across it very regularly and I don't remember seeing anyone on the sidewalk going back to at least the late '80s.

Apparently, the Gordie Howe Bridge is supposed to have pedestrian and bike access.

Yep. Glad the GHB will have ped/bike lanes. And it would cost, you know, basically nothing for the Moroun family to make the Ambassador Bridge ped/bike safe again. But evil family empires gonna be evil family empires, whatcha gonna do?

Hey, I'm 84. I hate walking to the fridge for a beer, but I do it and pat myself on the back for doing it. You young'uns will have your days like that also. Hopefully. For the age, that is, not for the miserable effort it takes to get to the icebox. [[Yeah, "icebox". Old habits die hard.)

Quote Originally Posted by KnnNike View Post
    Yep. Glad the GHB will have ped/bike lanes. And it would cost, you know, basically nothing for the Moroun family to make the Ambassador Bridge ped/bike safe again. But evil family empires gonna be evil family empires, whatcha gonna do?
    Back then it was mostly kids using it. I don't see them allowing minors to cross by themselves any more [[insert comment about southern border here). A lot more adults bike and walk these days however.

I seem to remember a sudden rash of 'jumping disease' that caused the bridge to close to pedestrians. I searched for any articles to verify that, but couldn't find any.

In 1962, the MV Montrose sank almost directly under the bridge after colliding with a barge. The crowds it drew were huge, and it was my understanding that the foot traffic was so big that it tied up traffic, and that was a major reason foot traffic on the bridge was ultimately banned.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    In 1962, the MV Montrose sank almost directly under the bridge after colliding with a barge. The crowds it drew were huge, and it was my understanding that the foot traffic was so big that it tied up traffic, and that was a major reason foot traffic on the bridge was ultimately banned.
    Oh so it was your fault

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    There was very little foot traffic for the next 25-30 years and then it was banned due to high traffic in '62? Gov't is slow to act but...

We rode our bicycles across the bridge a few times around 68 thru 70. I remember segments of sidewalk that were simply missing. Some were 3 foot square. Barriers were in place but we could see clear down to the river.

I always thought it odd that Homo Sapiens get all agitated about those of their own species crossing a border but when it comes to other species, no one cares.

Humans discriminate against themselves.

You Earthlings are weird.