Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Dance club cover charges

Did dance clubs charge a cover in the late 70s and early 80s? Specifically, I'm wondering about the Aorta Bar and Bookies on 6 Mile. I don't recall paying a cover at the Aorta, but I'm not sure. Bookies I think did have a cover. Thanks - K.G. Jones, codelldetroitfictions.com

Never paid a cover at the Aorta, but I mostly went there to play foosball.

I know Bookies had a cover charge for The Police.

Not sure about those bars in particular but, I do remember maybe a $3 or $5 cover charge during that time frame. Usually, they wouldn't charge if you were there before 8 or 9 pm.
    Last edited by Maof; April-10-21 at 06:39 AM.

Remember those monthly paper calendars Bookie's gave out? Might say on one of those if you can find one.
    Last edited by MikeM; April-08-21 at 08:10 AM.

Moaf's recollection matches up with mine. A drink minimum [[usually two) was also common. The bars did not track the drinks. You were served the minimum number and charged for them on your first order. I did not mind paying the cover, but the drink minimum bothered me.

Some bars waived or reduced the cover and/or the drink minimum on slower nights like Tuesday - Thursday.

Cover charges were always tied to the quality of the entertainment. Clubs with Good bands and DJs could get away with charging cover. Crappy Places with a bad cover band couldn't.

And lets not forget the blatantly sexist policy of all, women get in free and men pay cover. Typically used in college bars.
    Last edited by ndavies; April-08-21 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 13606Cedargrove View Post
    Some bars waived or reduced the cover and/or the drink minimum on slower nights like Tuesday - Thursday.
    Like Oliver's [[Harper and Three Mile Drive) in the mid-1970s... Wednesdays were Nickel Night! $2 cover with drinks just 5 cents from 8 to 9, then 10 cents from 9 to 10, then 25 cents from 10 to 11, and 50 cents from 11 until 2am close. We arrived early, ordered our drinks [[Black Russians for me!) two at a time! Danced to our favorite bands for a few hours.

Shorecrest had Thursday Ladies Nights with drinks 50 cents all evening for the ladies! More dancing and drinking!!

Former Bookie's habitue here. Bookie's always had a cover charge for music. In the early days it was about $2 or $3, collected at the door by Bookie Stewart's wife. Back in those days though [[we're talking 1978) the bar was still primarily a venue for drag shows with some punk rock shows thrown in, so you paid your money and took your chances. Later on it became entirely a rock club and the cover crept up to $5 or even $6!

While Bookie's had a little dance floor left over from the big band days, I wouldn't call it a "dance club". The main reason for going there was to hear the music and interact with the bands and the crowd. There was often people moving around on the floor, but a whole lot of that wasn't really what anyone could reasonably call "dancing".

Here is a great little article, from a great website, on the history of Bookie's Club 870, aka Frank Gagen's, Beauchamp's, Cliff Bell's Six Mile. Including the story of longtime Detroit gay bar impresario Bookie Stewart, and the mostly now-forgotten Scott Campbell who was vital to the start of Detroit punk:
    http://detroitpunkarchive.com/venues/bookies-club-870/
    Last edited by EastsideAl; April-08-21 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Like Oliver's [[Harper and Three Mile Drive) in the mid-1970s... Wednesdays were Nickel Night! $2 cover with drinks just 5 cents from 8 to 9, then 10 cents from 9 to 10, then 25 cents from 10 to 11, and 50 cents from 11 until 2am close. We arrived early, ordered our drinks [[Black Russians for me!) two at a time! Danced to our favorite bands for a few hours.

Shorecrest had Thursday Ladies Nights with drinks 50 cents all evening for the ladies! More dancing and drinking!!
    Oh boy, black russian's were a favorite of mine too. Felt terrible the next morning, [[sometimes having to go to work) after having a few the night before.

Kathleen: It sounds like we were hitting some of the same places back in the day. Maybe we have met. Did you go to Harpo's, too?

Quote Originally Posted by 13606Cedargrove View Post
    Kathleen: It sounds like we were hitting some of the same places back in the day. Maybe we have met. Did you go to Harpo's, too?
    Occasionally went to Harpo's. Mostly stuck to the Harper Ave. clubs from Oliver's to Shorecrest and nearby and beyond. Shirley's on Mack and 9. The Library on Groesbeck and 16. And then we travelled to see our favorite bands. [[I met my husband when he was playing in a band at Oliver's.)

Never, ever, paid a charge anywhere. But, then, of course, I don't dance.

Everyone's replies are so interesting and helpful! I asked in the first place because I set a new story at the Aorta [[1980) and I like the details to be plausible. Thanks! So glad I joined this forum - K.G. Jones, codelldetroitfiction.com

The basement at Bookies also had a small bar, which had only a single bathroom but it had multiple stalls and a small waiting area, and it was basically shared by all, whether in drag or Mohawk. Bookies would close in early 87. The DJ at Aorta would have been mike fiscus, [[or was that the Alcove, all at Bookies) And yes, I remember there being a $2 cover on Mondays or Tuesdays, as we would hit Todds on Thursdays, where cover was usually $3 or when Charles English was spinning. The City Club/Liedernacht/Leland House was usually $3 [[Derrick May had a posterboard that read "scientist at work" and was spinning Wednesdays in 84 then finally Saturdays). The lobby of the Leland House Hotel was a great place to hang out on the furniture and wait for your friends to come in. Another haunt would be the Asylum on Broadway, either 84 or 85, also a DJ with cover.
    Last edited by Hamtragedy; April-09-21 at 11:18 PM.