Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default All Star Game in Detroit in 2021?

Will Detroit be considered for this year's All Star game by Major League Baseball now that they have taken the game away from
    Georgia because that state's legislature sought to limit the right to vote? USA Today, this year, named Detroit's riverfront as the nation's finest and rated Campus Martius as the fifth most impressive public square. Does Detroit have the hotel space for such an event?

Yes. They have a 1 in 29 chance. Since they have held it before and most hotels will still have low occupancy this July and attendance will probably be limited, yes they have enough space. USA Today took an on-line poll and mostly metro Detroiters voted it best riverfront, not USA today. It got so many votes because USA Today & The Freep are the same ownership so the poll got more publicity in the Detroit area.
    Last edited by 401don; April-02-21 at 04:16 PM.

There is the Viking Motel over on G.R. Highly recommended, close to everything. I would reserve early.

Moving the game to Detroit would be poetic justice, when you think about it...

Well, it would be nice if it got kicked to Detroit. However, politics and sports should never mix. Moving it away because of niff-naws over voting is pure hogwash.
    Last edited by Ray1936; April-02-21 at 07:36 PM.

When the elderly Quaker owners of the Pequod were hiring a crew in Moby Dick they sought merit. It didn't matter where someone came from or if Queequeg had the same ideology as they did. The important thing was that Queequeg had a good skillset with harpoons.

My favorite team is the US Women's Soccer Team. I don't agree with Megan Rapinoe's politics and demands but she is a great player. So I don't understand the intolerant politicization of MLB tycoons. Who needs it?

Taxpayers are on the hook for $300M for Atlanta's baseball stadium. Bad decision. There were a lot of jobs, groundkeepers, hospitality workers, etc.. that went down the drain with this MLB decision which Pres. Biden encouraged. Biden didn't like the Georgia legislature's decision so Biden punished the people of Atlanta. It would be a nice gesture for Detroit or whichever city gets the All-star Game to send some of its profits to unemployed people in Atlanta.
    Last edited by oladub; April-03-21 at 12:53 AM.

If you don't use dirty tactics to suppress mainly the voters of color, the game would have stayed there. Very simple. GOP is just mad because Georgia turned blue over allegations of voter fraud. It's nonsense perpetuated by the former president.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    There were a lot of jobs, groundkeepers, hospitality workers, etc.. that went down the drain with this MLB decision which Pres. Biden encouraged.
    Pretty sure the 12 man groundskeeper crew is safe with a reduction from 82 to 81 games there this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Well, it would be nice if it got kicked to Detroit. However, politics and sports should never mix. Moving it away because of niff-naws over voting is pure hogwash.
    Our inexorable slide away from democracy is not a nuff-naw over voting. In 1946, WWII veteran Maceo Snipes was shot and killed for being the sole black voter in Taylor County Georgia. He fought the fascists overseas but was killed by them here. They were defending the “integrity of the vote” as well.

But Detroit would be a great place for the game. I’d be happy just to see a regular Tigers game. Last one I saw was in Tiger Stadium.

I do have a local friend who suggests taking in a game when I visit, but we never seem to do it.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; April-03-21 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    If you don't use dirty tactics to suppress mainly the voters of color, the game would have stayed there. Very simple. GOP is just mad because Georgia turned blue over allegations of voter fraud. It's nonsense perpetuated by the former president.
    Specifically, what "dirty tactics to suppress mainly the voters of color" are being utilized? A recent AP-NORC poll shows that 72% of Americans were in favor of requiring photo ID to vote including a slim majority of Democrats. Did Georgia's legislature make it difficult or expensive to obtain a photo ID?https://twitter.com/AP/status/137795...256326/photo/1

Again, MLB is punishing Atlanta from its stadium groundskeepers to its hotel workers and owners by taking away between $30-90M of revenue. Maybe the game should be awarded to Beijing where MLB, Coca-Cola, Hunter Biden and Delta all make money.

Specifically, what "dirty tactics to suppress mainly the voters of color" are being utilized? A recent AP-NORC poll shows that 72% of Americans were in favor of requiring photo ID to vote including a slim majority of Democrats. Did Georgia's legislature make it difficult or expensive to obtain a photo ID?https://twitter.com/AP/status/137795...256326/photo/1

Again, MLB is punishing Atlanta from its stadium groundskeepers to its hotel workers and owners by taking away between $30-90M of revenue. Maybe the game should be awarded to Beijing where MLB, Coca-Cola, Hunter Biden and Delta all make money.
    More phony outrage from people who don't even watch baseball or the all-star game, much less actually attend one? Just because Fox News says you should be outraged?

And Coca-Cola, Delta, et al, are making money in China because Republicans wanted China opened to American business. And when Democrats cried foul about shipping jobs overseas, Republicans schooled us on how it would be "good" for the US economy to expand our customer base, and good for America to build a Chinese middle class which would help democratize China, and good for the American consumer to get goods made cheaper, and if it affected your job, you should have "expanded your skill set" to make yourself more marketable in the new world economy, and all that bullshit.

Will the MLB care about Michigan's voter ID requirements? Will the media call out Biden for fundamentally misunderstanding the Georgia law in his statement? Will Republicans continue to feign outrage at Major League Baseball in order to score political points on Fox and Friends? Time will tell.

Also, I don't think an internet vote about our riverfront carries any weight, other than a 30 second mention on the local news.

The new law in Georgia introduces new impediments to voting, reducing the number of drop boxes in heavily African American areas and allows the state to intervene to assert control over the conduct of elections in Democratic counties. It shortens the time available for absentee votes and introduces new registration requirements that campaigners say are designed to target Black voters. Dirty politics...
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; April-03-21 at 01:25 PM.

I guess we'll see what happens. One of the hiccups would be whether the stadium [[and hotels) would be allowed to have XX number of fans/personnel, since capacity has been limited so far. By July this may change. Hmm.

Detroit is not getting an All Star Game forget it. It may goes to Chicago, L.A. San Francisco, Miami or Tampa Bay. MLB is seeking warm areas and less COVID-19 shutdowns.

But I'm glad that MLB left Hot-Lanta due to Georgia's Republican Confederate rise of Jim Crow's voting laws.
    Last edited by Danny; April-04-21 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Detroit is not getting an All Star Game forget it. It may goes to Chicago, L.A. San Francisco...
    Oh really...?

...MLB is seeking...less COVID-19 shutdowns...
    Hmmm, I guess that eliminates Chicago, San Francisco and LA then...

Hmm, the tread wanders from the All Star Game and attacks on voting rights to NAFTA? This whole kerfuffle is reminiscent of Detroit's chance of getting the Olympics in 1940. I'd say our chances are about the same now as then for the All Star game.
    Name:  1939-10-30-Olympic-Games.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  159.6 KB

I seem to remember something similar in the 60's; there was talk about using the UofM sports facilities for swimming and track and field
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Hmm, the tread wanders from the All Star Game and attacks on voting rights to NAFTA? This whole kerfuffle is reminiscent of Detroit's chance of getting the Olympics in 1940. I'd say our chances are about the same now as then for the All Star game.

Detroit didn't get the 1940 Summer Olympics because of World War II. In fact there was no 1940 Summer Olympics.

Detroit already lost the 1968 Summer Olympic bid to Mexico because Detroit did have enough support for feed the athletes. Detroit in the meantime is trying to recover from the 1967 riots. I don't think those international athletes will look at city that just been bombed out!

Look at the bright side. At least we got Super Bowl 40 at Ford Field. All thanks to the Black Godfather of Detroit, King Kwame Kilpatrick.
    Last edited by Danny; April-04-21 at 04:02 PM.

Several off topic or national political posts have been removed from this thread. Kindly keep posts about the topic and Detroit only.

The MLB All Star Game will be held at Coors Field at Denver, Colorado.

Detroit will not a get an All Star Game until after 2030!

MLB has made it clear in their community guidelines that any acts of racism and violation of human and civil rights will not tolerated. The Governor of Georgia will learn its lesson.

So let's wait and see if there is any changes.
    Last edited by Danny; April-06-21 at 06:27 AM.

Detroit is not getting an All Star Game forget it. It may goes to Chicago, L.A. San Francisco, Miami or Tampa Bay. MLB is seeking warm areas and less COVID-19 shutdowns.

But I'm glad that MLB left Hot-Lanta due to Georgia's Republican Confederate rise of Jim Crow's voting laws.
    Please post one item of the voting law in Georgia that has any resemblance of any Jim Crow Law. Even the Washington Post gave Sleepy Joe four pinocchio’s for that whopper.

^ Detroit cannot afford such a revenue loss like that.

The MLB All Star Game will be held at Coors Field at Denver, Colorado.

Detroit will not a get an All Star Game until after 2030!

MLB has made it clear in their community guidelines that any acts of racism and violation of human and civil rights will not tolerated. The Governor of Georgia will learn its lesson.

So let's wait and see if there is any changes.
    Stop with the lies and rhetoric!

There was nothing in the Georgia law that was rasist.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast