Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Info on Detroit Subdivision in 1918

Can anyone tell me about the Durfield Subdivision mentioned in a newspaper clipping from 1918? I found that 33 Lothrop Ave, became 71 Lothrop Ave in 1921 renumbering. Any other info would be appreciated.

"Chas. H. Ritter & frau and Charles S. Kennedy und frau, Leil von lots 30 & 31 der Lothrop and Durfield Subdivision, Bertelfeftion 55 fiir $1

Quote Originally Posted by grander54 View Post
    Can anyone tell me about the Durfield Subdivision mentioned in a newspaper clipping from 1918? I found that 33 Lothrop Ave, became 71 Lothrop Ave in 1921 renumbering. Any other info would be appreciated.

"Chas. H. Ritter & frau and Charles S. Kennedy und frau, Leil von lots 30 & 31 der Lothrop and Durfield Subdivision, Bertelfeftion 55 fiir $1
    It was the Lothrop & Duffield Subdivision. It sounds like the Ritters and Kennedys got lots 30 and 31 in that sub. According to the plat map of the subdivision from 1904 [[see below), as you can see those lots were at the northwest corner of Milwaukee and Sterling.

Before the 1921 renumbering the houses on these lots were 384 and 386 Milwaukee. This piece of Milwaukee was later renamed Ferry Park and the addresses were 1400 and 1404 Ferry Park. The lots are now vacant and that whole area is currently being reconfigured and redeveloped by Henry Ford Hospital.

Name:  lothrop duffield plat.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  114.4 KB

Lots 2 to 6 on W. Grand Blvd. is now part of the Motown Museum properties.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3642.../data=!3m1!1e3

That street was suppose to be Milwaukee St has become Ferry Park St.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3636...7i16384!8i8192
    Last edited by Danny; March-29-21 at 08:33 AM.

Today Ferry Park, Milwaukee St. along with Sterling, Trumbull and Lincoln Streets has been torn down for new Henry Ford Cancer Institute expansion.
    Last edited by Danny; March-29-21 at 08:33 AM.

Oh thanks so much, love having that map. Everything I look for where ancestors were in Detroit has mostly gone industrial/commercial. Keep hoping for a pic of their home. I did get one from when they moved to Pleasant Ridge.

thank you for that info - at one time they were on Trumbull or the parents were. This makes more sense now. The subdivision not the street name. I knew that one of the city directories had them living on Lothrop St. or Ave. So I thought the newspaper clipping in German was them buying that house. Looks like it was a separate move. Even more interesting to see the old map and then the google shot of the area now. I actually drove by Motown Museum on my last trip to Detroit 5 years ago, but it was closed. Didn't realize I was so close to old family property.
    Last edited by grander54; March-30-21 at 06:21 PM.