Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default SEEKING: Anybody have an original Detroit Times from September 24, 1955?

Specifically, I'm looking for the Teen page, which published the Top Ten songs for local radio stations. Though I've never been able to research these very well, this is the only instance I know of [SO FAR] where a Top Ten appeared for radio station WWJ.

I will definitely pay your price! It doesn't have to be this specific date, if there were any other dates that WWJ sent their Top Ten into the TIMES. I am guessing that was the only time, because WWJ was owned by the NEWS at the time, and very possibly whoever decided to run it could have been told something like "Don't you DARE do that again!!"

That said, I have no idea if WWJ ran anything like this in the News. It's possible. Anything like that from WWJ will do, and the source doesn't really matter.

Not from Teen page, but there are plenty of surveys to view on this site -
    http://www.las-solanas.com/arsa//index.php

You have to sign in the view the surveys. I have used this site for years with no problems at all. There is the top 10 survey from the following week and many others from the early 50s.

info from the site -
    "Find scads of scans of radio station surveys, just like the ones you used to pick up at the record store when you went shopping with mom & pop. All the chart data is meticulously entered into the database, so you can cross-reference to see how your favorite hit fared in different markets across the country. To navigate the site, "tune" to the buttons on the left.ARSA is a non-profit site intended to mix nostalgia with historical value. The site is open to everyone and you are invited to have a browse. To get the most of the site, you will need to create a free profile and login to access most of the site's features."

September 24, 1955. Memories. Forgive me.
    I had dropped out of Wayne University [[No, it was not quite Wayne State; that happened the next year) because I was bored out of my skull, and tired of spending 90 minutes a day looking for a parking spot. Was hired by the Detroit Police Department on August 1, 1955, as a Cadet, and went on to spend the next 30 years of my life there, enjoying every bloomin' minute of it. Never returned to WU after my first miserable year there.

Just had to butt in where I didn't belong because 1955 was such a watershed year in my life. It was the best of years, it was the worst of years.

And, yes, I know where my paraphrase comes from.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    September 24, 1955. Memories. Forgive me.
    I had dropped out of Wayne University [[No, it was not quite Wayne State; that happened the next year) because I was bored out of my skull, and tired of spending 90 minutes a day looking for a parking spot. Was hired by the Detroit Police Department on August 1, 1955, as a Cadet, and went on to spend the next 30 years of my life there, enjoying every bloomin' minute of it. Never returned to WU after my first miserable year there.

Just had to butt in where I didn't belong because 1955 was such a watershed year in my life. It was the best of years, it was the worst of years.

And, yes, I know where my paraphrase comes from.

Ray,

The day you were hired as a cadet did that automatically provide a spot in the DPD Academy? If I remember correctly you graduated the academy in 1959. Also, did those years as a cadet count towards your years of service or just 1959-1984?

I'm sure parking at Wayne State back then was a royal pain and lacking for a commuter school. It seems a number of structures were demolished in the 1960's and 1970's for parking.

Ah, you are sharp today, Sparty! Being a cadet did not automatically provide a spot in the Academy, but it was pretty much a 99% cinch. And, no, Cadets were considered civilian employees and under the general City employee's pension, so the four years did not count towards the DPD pension. On the other hand, when you left 'cadetship' and went to the academy, the City gave you a lump sum of what was in your civilian pension fund. Think it was close to 1k which became part of my downpayment on a house.

Open note to Frank, the original poster: apologies for the thread hijack.

The Platters, Little Richard, The Crew Cuts, Al Hibler????

Quote Originally Posted by preserve View Post
    The Platters, Little Richard, The Crew Cuts, Al Hibler????
    Naw, I was more a Frank Sinatra/Perry Como/Doris Day type person.

Bumping this up for frankfrank. See my reply [#2 above.] Looks like the thread got a little sidetracked. Wondering if you saw it since there was no response. LOL!

Kelton

Try calling the Detroit Public Library reference desk. They can tell you over the phone if they have it. Obviously you can't take the original but you can have a copy made.
    Last edited by Pat001; April-09-21 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat001 View Post
    Try calling the Detroit Public Library reference desk. They can tell you over the phone if they have it. Obviously you can't take the original but you can have a copy made.
    I believe the DPL has the full run of the Detroit Times available. You can just go to the Main Library and look it up for free, or you can pay to get it online. You can contact library staff through their website to ask any questions.