Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Beautiful home with all the natural light and bright colors. So much nicer than the dark red, green and brown you often see in these old houses.

There are lots of nice houses in Palmer Woods. Lesson learned: Rich people used to build nice houses.

Back in the 1980s, I dated a woman who lived there. Her family owned a tool and die business. She told me horror stories about the high incidence of burglaries to her and her neighbors homes. Unless things have changed in that regard, I wouldn't want to live there.

I Doubt there's tons of burglaries in Palmer Woods these days. And alarm/camera systems are pretty sophisticated now.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    There are lots of nice houses in Palmer Woods. Lesson learned: Rich people used to build nice houses.

Back in the 1980s, I dated a woman who lived there. Her family owned a tool and die business. She told me horror stories about the high incidence of burglaries to her and her neighbors homes. Unless things have changed in that regard, I wouldn't want to live there.
    Way to rain on such a nice parade..... I highly doubt crime is running rampant in THAT area of Detroit. They have also have the security of undercover police who patrol the area.

If I’m not mistaken, isn’t there a police station right across the street on 7 Mile?

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    I Doubt there's tons of burglaries in Palmer Woods these days. And alarm/camera systems are pretty sophisticated now.
    We all hope that's true, and that things will continue to improve throughout the city. But, those experiences can be hard to let go of.

A good friend of mine grew up in North Rosedale, which was and is a nice neighborhood. He started high school at Catholic Central when it was still on Outer Drive, and finished at the Redford campus. After college, he returned home in the mid-80's while attending graduate school. We used to skate at an ice rink in the park at night, and it always felt safe.

In 1989, after their house was broken into for the third time--in the middle of the day, no less--they finally moved out. His parents had lived their entire lives in the city, and it was tough for them to leave. But, when you don't feel safe in your own home anymore...
    Last edited by LongGone06; May-20-21 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LongGone06 View Post
    But, when you don't feel safe in your own home anymore...
    Back in the days before Michigan adopted the castle doctrine.

I think Palmer Woods has their own private security patrol.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post

Yes, I knew people who had beautiful homes there in the early 1980s and experienced a rash of horrible crimes then. .One had a butler who was stabbed by a stranger when he answered the door. They, and many of the then owners just sold and left, they could afford to...Thankfully, today, there is relatively far fewer crimes happening .The area, with security , have gotten control. A friend I know who lives there said they feel quite safe...it is a beautiful neighborhood. Prices have gone up materially there , [[ like most places) in the last five years.

These days is it more likely your family will encounter violence during a burglary or in a domestic dispute, a lovers' quarrel, a school shooting, a workplace massacre, a suicide, a drug-deal gone wrong, an accident at your kid's friend's house, a police shooting, a chance drive by?

How should we try to fix that? Hmmm.

Nice house.
    Last edited by bust; May-22-21 at 08:19 PM.

This is such a glorious house and spacious grounds. And the asking price is $876K.

In the other thread with Nicole Curtis fighting [and winning in court] to get her house back that she already put thousands into it. What really puzzles me is that she mentioned she's putting $500K additional dollars into that other property. Well when you compare that house once it is refurbished, versus this gem... I really don't see the other house selling for $600K or more. This property is so much more for $876K than Nicole's house will ever be, value wise.

i'm sort of puzzled by her huge investment in a lesser property.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    This is such a glorious house and spacious grounds. And the asking price is $876K.

In the other thread with Nicole Curtis fighting [and winning in court] to get her house back that she already put thousands into it. What really puzzles me is that she mentioned she's putting $500K additional dollars into that other property. Well when you compare that house once it is refurbished, versus this gem... I really don't see the other house selling for $600K or more. This property is so much more for $876K than Nicole's house will ever be, value wise.

i'm sort of puzzled by her huge investment in a lesser property.
    She doesn't {only} invest in real estate.
    As with most parentheticals bracketicals, the bracketed may not be necessary.
    Bargains galore: still Detroit.
    Skills, curiosity, focus, good choices: still good sense.
    Last edited by bust; May-22-21 at 08:03 PM.

Bust... Lowell told us on another thread that the parentheses "[[" and ")" has the left parenthesis broken... he's still trying to figure it out. So he told us to use "[" and "]' until it is fixed. So the left parenthesis shows up as "[[" when your post is saved.

Fortunately, much has changed since the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    If I’m not mistaken, isn’t there a police station right across the street on 7 Mile?
    Yes, there is a police station adjacent on Seven Mile. I don't live in Palmer Woods, but I will say I feel safe in the nearby University District. Not to say that there is no crime, because that isn't true. Although I disapprove of it, I expect when Palmer Woods changed the traffic flow pattern a number of years ago, it reduced the number of non-neighborhood people passing through the area, which may make folks feel safer.