Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default WDET Transmitter

We got a call from WDET saying we need to make another donation this year, because their transmitter failed and they need to buy another one.

I understand the need, but they knew the transmitter was going to eventually fail, and, apparently, new equipment purchases are not part of their operating budget? I don't understand how this works.

If you know they have a 20-year life span, you stash away $10,000 a year and, when 20 years are up, you can buy a new one, right?

The company I work for does this with server equipment. Every few years they budget out replacing old servers with new ones, stretching that lump-sum cost over several years, so they don't have a million dollar budget hole one year, and have to sell bonds or stock. Also, they do this pro-actively. They don't wait for servers to fail before replacing them.

is WDET not allowed to budget this way or something?

JBMcB
    I totally agree with you. It's basic governance of the people's money. Last fall I made a donation to WDET, almost with regret. They were unrelenting pounding me with emails and night time phone calls. Finally after a good talk with one of the callers it ceased. This was prior to the transmitter issue [[although I am getting added mailings on that).

For 16 years, twice a year I donated long Saturday hours to WDET that aligned with their twice a year fundraisers. I would get in early and had the pleasure of talking with the Coachman as he was coming off shift, then worked Robert Jones' Blues of Lowland, Matt Watroba's Folks Like Us, and Larry McDaniels Blue Grass show, I would stay and finish any tasks beyond his show.

My motivation was to support true local programming. It was unique programming hosted local residents [[who had day jobs), and I would assume fairly cheap to put on the air.

I learned a few things back then regarding the costs of NPR programming. The Car Guys [[who I loved listening to on the Ann Arbor station) wanted to be on WDET in the worst way it was the Motor City after all. But DET couldn't afford them, they were to charge DET $90K per year. That was way back in very uninflated dollars. Then there was Garrison Keillor, the darling of many [[prior to his scandals) at the time he was going to charge little DET $326K annually, needless to say too rich for DET's blood back then. But what opened my eyes back then is how many stations DID subscribe and sent all those dollars to these shows. These were just two shows.

During Charlie Rose's sex scandals the curtain on the financing of his PBS production company was raised a little -- hugely profitable with little overhead.

I think WDET has a great role in our community from local programming [[maybe more of it), local news, community issues, Detroit history, and as a training ground for WSU students.

However, I think part and parcel of it's governance should be TRUE transparency on detailed budgets. I don't mean "check the box" transparency. This would be only fair to the individuals who give. I worked the phones, there were many individuals who gave who were in rough condition themselves, but still gave. Also, accountability for the foundations and corporations trusting their donations to DET.

It seems a thorough review of cost management and "What costs what" is warranted. But most importantly true action to rectify this on a long term basis.

Definitely a deep dive in the Transmission failure is worth a review for a change in process and what went wrong. But it likely reflects something structural.

I truly hope WDET and it's governance works through this with fresh eyes and community accountability.

Very well stated! I've wondered over the years what was going on with their fiscal books. Ah, the days of Couchman.

Miss that indeed!