Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Where will the Tigers play their home games in April and May?

We hope that numerous vaccine shots will soon abate the spread of covid in Michigan. But the B.1.1.7 varient is already present and apparently spreading throughout this state. Wayne and Washtenaw counties now lead in the number of such infections in Michigan. The Ontario government recently proclaimed a three week lock down because of a surge of covid. It would be nice but unrealistic to think that the virus will stay on the Ontario side of the Detroit, St. Clair, and St. Mary’s Rivers. The Toronto Blue Jays will begin the season by playing home games in Florida but may later move some home games to Buffalo. The Tigers were limited to 1,000 customers if they play at Comerica but that was, I think, increased somewhat.

I wonder what options the Tigers are considering if the Ontario surge arrives in Michigan? Will they stay in Florida? If they are limited to one thousand patrons could home games be played at the PAL park at Michigan and Trumbull? Would Ray Fisher stadium be considered? It was used as a practice facility by the Reds some years ago. I don’t think Roesink Stadium is not yet ready for baseball. Will tort lawyers deter the Tigers from selling tickets this year?

I think the Tigers will play at Comerica Park. I believe the Blue Jays are playing games in Florida because of possible issues crossing the border for them and other teams flying to Toronto.

If there is a massive surge, the Tigers may play in front of an empty stadium again, but I don't see any reason they'd play elsewhere.

What a strange post. Why would a surge in Ontario affect play at Comerica Park? Besides, what's called a surge in Ontario is called "problem solved" in most of the U.S.

I will say, it would be cool to see the Tigers play a game at The Corner again on the PAL field, but the infield is turf and not up to MLB standards.

Opening day for the Tigers is proposed for the April 1, 2021 with 8,000 fans being welcomed on Comerica Park. There will socially distancing guildlines in place and tickets can only be sold online.

I believe that the Tigers will have 8200 fans which is 20% capacity at Comerica Park on April 1st. No cash purchases are allowed in the stadium!

There was never any question the Tigers were going to play at Comerica - barring any new catastrophes.

The Tigers have already confirmed that their home games in April and May will all be at Comerica Park.