Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Delta adds “outdoorsy” leisure flights from DTW for summer 2021

Given the optimistic news on the vaccine roll-out, Delta Air Lines seems to be counting on somewhat of a return to air travel this summer with some recently added flights from DTW.

All the adds are obviously leisure focused, to more domestic outdoorsy destinations. New, or for the first time in a long time, Delta will be flying nonstop in 2021:

DTW-Anchorage, AK [[summer weekend service)
    DTW-Rapid City, SD [[summer weekend service)
    DTW-Bozeman, MT [[Saturday summer service)
    DTW-Jackson Hole, WY [[Saturday summer service)

So for those folks looking for an outdoorsy spot to fly to later this summer, there are some good deals to places normally not flown nonstop from Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Given the optimistic news on the vaccine roll-out, Delta Air Lines seems to be counting on somewhat of a return to air travel this summer with some recently added flights from DTW.

All the adds are obviously leisure focused, to more domestic outdoorsy destinations. New, or for the first time in a long time, Delta will be flying nonstop in 2021:

DTW-Anchorage, AK [[summer weekend service)
    DTW-Rapid City, SD [[summer weekend service)
    DTW-Bozeman, MT [[Saturday summer service)
    DTW-Jackson Hole, WY [[Saturday summer service)

So for those folks looking for an outdoorsy spot to fly to later this summer, there are some good deals to places normally not flown nonstop from Detroit.
    Thanks for this

Would love a DTW-BZN, time at Yellowstone and Grand Teton parks, JAC-DTW. Just checked, and Jackson Hole seems to be sold out all summer, with only First Class available to/from Bozeman in August, at an obscene fare [[close to $3K).

Anyway, good to see DL expanding even a little here.

Quote Originally Posted by Don K View Post
    Would love a DTW-BZN, time at Yellowstone and Grand Teton parks, JAC-DTW. Just checked, and Jackson Hole seems to be sold out all summer, with only First Class available to/from Bozeman in August, at an obscene fare [[close to $3K).

Anyway, good to see DL expanding even a little here.
    I would check prices and availability again tomorrow [[Sunday 3/21). Delta appears to be doing some updates to their site and schedule/prices today, and many flights are showing up as sold-out or significantly over priced. I think it is just a software update, and fully expect the flights I listed above to be much cheaper tomorrow.

I would settle for a decently priced run up to cherry capitol airport from any carrier on any kind of plane. Of course by the time you go to the airport, park, blah, blah, blah you might as well shut up and drive the 4 hours up there.

Definitely worth it for a beautiful long summer weekend up north.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I would settle for a decently priced run up to cherry capitol airport from any carrier on any kind of plane. Of course by the time you go to the airport, park, blah, blah, blah you might as well shut up and drive the 4 hours up there.

Definitely worth it for a beautiful long summer weekend up north.
    Yes, it is a pity that getting to the Traverse City area is not easy for any mode of travel. I wish they had a Detroit-Traverse City passenger train there, as well as freeway access... maybe a US-10 to M-115 to US-131 freeway connector with a Traverse City freeway spur, so the Detroit to Traverse City travel time could be shortened from 4 hours to just over 3 hours.
    Last edited by Gistok; March-20-21 at 09:56 PM.

There are at least two new airline upstarts about to enter the US market. Breeze and Avelo will both focus on obvious selling points, so underserved: customer value and satisfaction.

The US is by far the world's biggest economy for air travel yet only three major carriers coordinate as an oligarchy to basically control the market. We've suffered from their lack of competition for far too long.

They campaigned to suck $54 Billion of taxpayer bailouts only to waste 90% on stock buy-backs to the near-exclusive benefit only of execs and other major shareholders [[hello Warren Buffet and other hegemon funs).

As many have said, "we socialized the airline industry's losses and largely privatized the gains."

No wonder even with flights still empty airline stocks are soaring.

Breeze and Avelo plan to connect markets where after so many years of airline consolidation and route cancellations direct flights don't exist.

No wonder airline oligarchs are reclaiming gates they abandoned to pre-emptively stake out the most profitable routes they neglected so long. They'll loss-lead until new competition is quashed, and jack us again.

I need to travel, have been researching flights, and there are no direct routes from Detroit. Delta and American offered layovers. Beginning very recently United offers a third option. Prices went UP. It's now exactly the same no matter which oligarch or when I fly-- 20% more than before the added "competition."

It's not just "Big Tech" that's in dire need of reform.

I can [[supposedly) opt out of facial recognition by Zuck, but why can't I opt out at the airport?

Atticus, do you work for Delta? No need to answer.
    Last edited by bust; March-21-21 at 02:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    There are at least two new airline upstarts about to enter the US market. Breeze and Avelo will both focus on obvious selling points, so underserved: customer value and satisfaction.

The US is by far the world's biggest economy for air travel yet only three major carriers coordinate as an oligarchy to basically control the market. We've suffered from their lack of competition for far too long.

They campaigned to suck $54 Billion of taxpayer bailouts only to waste 90% on stock buy-backs to the near-exclusive benefit only of execs and other major shareholders [[hello Warren Buffet and other hegemon funs).

As many have said, "we socialized the airline industry's losses and largely privatized the gains."

No wonder even with flights still empty airline stocks are soaring.

Breeze and Avelo plan to connect markets where after so many years of airline consolidation and route cancellations direct flights don't exist.

No wonder airline oligarchs are reclaiming gates they abandoned to pre-emptively stake out the most profitable routes they neglected so long. They'll loss-lead until new competition is quashed, and jack us again.

I need to travel, have been researching flights, and there are no direct routes from Detroit. Delta and American offered layovers. Beginning very recently United offers a third option. Prices went UP. It's now exactly the same no matter which oligarch or when I fly-- 20% more than before the added "competition."

It's not just "Big Tech" that's in dire need of reform.

I can [[supposedly) opt out of facial recognition by Zuck, but why can't I opt out at the airport?

Atticus, do you work for Delta? No need to answer.
    I don’t work for Delta, but do fly them fairly regularly [[when we are not in a pandemic anyway). So I stay pretty connected to when and where they fly. My experience with Delta has generally been very positive, beyond the occasional bad egg experience that is inevitable if you fly enough. My two biggest issues with Delta is 1) normally their ticket costs are higher flying from DTW [[plight of being a hub-city captive), and 2) there are nonstop routes that Delta could profitability fly nonstop from DTW that aren’t flown, in order to force connections in Atlanta or Minneapolis [[to make those other flight profitable).

I agree about the lack of competition and the bailouts, especially the second airline bailout that was totally unnecessary. Personally though, I don’t think the region or the airport does enough to foster airline competition here. Delta is obviously the preferred carrier, and even if they get the best treatment for having a hub here, I still think more could be done to attract some competition and keep Delta a little more honest. That being said, if we had to be stuck with just one airline, I am glad it is Delta who is here.