Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default New Coffee Shop in Brush Park Plus 2 restaurants close Downtown.

Cafe Alto is to open in the old New Order Coffee in Brush Park, plus Republic Tavern and Parks and Rec Diner close for good.
    https://detroit.eater.com/2021/3/19/...r-coffee-space

Damn I really liked Republic. Hope it's replaced by something as good in the future.

Covid-19 kill the restaurant star.

I thought Republic was the best restaurant in the city. I went there three times and every single item was fantastic. It's a damn shame they will be gone. They had a cool rewards program too where you buying dinner at Reoublic practically got you a free breakfast at Parks and Rec with the points earned.

I'm sure those spaces will not be empty long.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    I thought Republic was the best restaurant in the city. I went there three times and every single item was fantastic. It's a damn shame they will be gone. They had a cool rewards program too where you buying dinner at Reoublic practically got you a free breakfast at Parks and Rec with the points earned.

I'm sure those spaces will not be empty long.
    Agreed. I have a hard time understanding how these places went under though, unless the owner simply was unwilling or unable to adapt to COVID restrictions. The few times we ate here during the pandemic, it was very difficult to get a reservation [[talking about Republic). And both places, especially Parks and Rec, should have been able to do pretty brisk carry out business.

Not blaming anyone - not the restaurant owner, not Gov. Whitmer - but it just seems on the surface that this should've been preventable, given how many less-popular places have managed to stay open.

Pre-pandemic Parks and Rec was nearly impossible to get into on the weekends. Both establishments look to have shut down entirely for covid and now wont open back up. I'd guess financials were shaky before hand and the owner is unwilling to come out of pocket for a total restart.