Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Partridge Creek Mall will be in receivership.

Partridge Creek mall is also dying just like its next to mall neighbor Lakeside Mall.

https://news.yahoo.com/mall-partridg...040100699.html

OH OH!

So disappointing. I like the mall but too many store fronts are sitting empty. Knew it was going to happen especially since the two anchor stores, Nordstrom and Carsons shuttered. Wish they would bring Macy's over there since Lakeside is a ghost town.
    Last edited by Maof; March-19-21 at 09:04 AM.

What's a Mall??????

Ok just kidding, but how can you expect these places to survive anymore? Unless you are a Sommerset or Great Lakes Crossing, there is just no use for them. I live about a mile from Partridge Creek & even 4-5 years ago that place started having vacancy issues. As soon as those anchors bolted it was only a matter of time. And even though it was billed as a "high end mall", you still had Lakeside 2 miles down the road competing with it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Ok just kidding, but how can you expect these places to survive anymore?
    People still like to shop. The busiest shopping season is also when the weather is the worst. Hence indoor malls.

What killed Lakeside and Partridge Creek is the huge amount of retail space available along M-59. The area is packed with strip malls with very cheap rent, which makes it difficult for a mall to charge a premium. There are *tons* of stores and restaurants in that area, so there is a demand for commercial space. There is also a huge supply. You would think Sterling Heights would have limited the amount of commercial land allocated to keep values up, but the more commercial land there is the more tax revenue they get, so there is an incentive to allocate as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    People still like to shop. The busiest shopping season is also when the weather is the worst. Hence indoor malls.
    The busiest shopping season yes, worst weather. But why would I drive to a mall packed with people in crap weather that takes an hour to drive 10 miles when I could just have that shirt I want delivered to my house in 48 hours for free?

I get it, there are still people out there who like to peruse stores and walk around. No issue there. But now that I can get anything I want delivered to my door and hassle free returns for items I don't want, where is my incentive to go to a mall?

To your second point, I agree to an extent about Hall Road. It is packed with commercial and every other day there seems to be a Meijer/Target/Home Depot parking lot that has new strip malls going up in them. But to say real estate on Hall Road is cheap is flat out false. There have been a ton of businesses/bars/restaurants that moved a mile south/north of Hall citing the insane rent they pay being on that road.

Personally, I F***ing hate Hall Road. They should have just continued the freeway all the way from Mound to I-94 below grade with a 2 lane local service drive on each side.

Demographics is also an issue that plague the Hall Road corridor.

Yes, there are pockets of wealth in Northern Macomb County, but it's nothing like Northern Oakland County. By and large, it's a solidly working class / middle class area. This particular customer base has been hit hard [[buying power and income-wise) over the past 15-20 years, and thus aren't going out to shop and spend money as much as they did when these malls were built. Thus, the stores that used to cater to them have either shuttered their locations or gone bankrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Demographics is also an issue that plague the Hall Road corridor.

Yes, there are pockets of wealth in Northern Macomb County, but it's nothing like Northern Oakland County. By and large, it's a solidly working class / middle class area. This particular customer base has been hit hard [[buying power and income-wise) over the past 15-20 years, and thus aren't going out to shop and spend money as much as they did when these malls were built. Thus, the stores that used to cater to them have either shuttered their locations or gone bankrupt.
    Partridge Creek was supposed to draw all of that Money coming from Lake St Clair area/Washington Twp to the north. And for awhile it did. It had a nice mix of high end offerings and new restaurants to offer. But once those anchors went out, it was only going to get worse.

It's been a LONG time since I've set foot in Sommerset so I'm not sure about their vacancy rate, but I work in AH very close to GLC and that place has so many vacancies just driving around the outer ring, it's hard to believe that a mall like a Lakeside can survive now. It's nice to see that the city and developer have a plan for Lakeside to turn it into mixed use, but what do you do with a Partridge Creek?

But why would I drive to a mall packed with people in crap weather that takes an hour to drive 10 miles when I could just have that shirt I want delivered to my house in 48 hours for free?
    I wouldn't worry about the "packed with people"
    part.

When Old 20 Mile Rd. was paved into a super highway-freeway hybrid called M-59 in the 1960s. Lakeside Mall came in. At the time Macomb TWP. Shelby TWP, Clinton TWP, Sterling TWP. And Clinton Townships where just woods and farmland. Utica along Van Dyke Rd. has a historic corner downtown and few houses along the way. Now its oodles of strip malls, industrial countries, and fast growing ex-urban neighborhoods that can extend to 30 mile Rd. Today Lakeside Mall and Partridge Creek is dying! But at least M-59 is new 8 Mile Rd. corridor. It's the people's way to get far far far away from Detroit as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    When Old 20 Mile Rd. was paved into a super highway-freeway hybrid called M-59 in the 1960s. Lakeside Mall came in. At the time Macomb TWP. Shelby TWP, Clinton TWP, Sterling TWP. And Clinton Townships where just woods and farmland. Utica along Van Dyke Rd. has a historic corner downtown and few houses along the way. Now its oodles of strip malls, industrial countries, and fast growing ex-urban neighborhoods that can extend to 30 mile Rd. Today Lakeside Mall and Partridge Creek is dying! But at least M-59 is new 8 Mile Rd. corridor. It's the people's way to get far far far away from Detroit as possible.
    Many stores within the strips are also sitting empty and I know of two that are going up or recently completed along Hall. Doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Many stores within the strips are also sitting empty and I know of two that are going up or recently completed along Hall. Doesn't make sense.
    This, right here, is the problem. It makes no frigging sense at all.

I have lived in Shelby Twp/Macomb my entire life. We moved from Eastpoint to the outer Burbs in 87'. People literally rode horseback down 26 mile road and you could leave your windows open and never hear a car drive by at night. Fast forward 30+ years and you can barely find a place where developers have jammed a strip mall or subdivision.

As you mentioned, there are a deluge of exceedingly vacant strip malls on major thoroughfares [[8 Mile/Hall Road/23 mile/26mile) on the east/north side. And every time I drive out to my parents, there are shovels in the ground throwing up new ones. Pandemic be dammed, they never stop building them. Do we need a T-Mobile/Dunkin Donut/Fedex on every frigging corner? You can almost always count on the 3-peat at every stop light ----- CVS/Walgreens/Rite Aid. I don't see how a developer can sit on a commercial property running at 40% occupancy and make money.

Seems like what were long mainstay mall chains have only been opening new stores in urban markets in downtowns and neighborhoods, but controlling how many they open. I only hope mall failures don't inevitability topple the chains, leaving a bunch of empty vacant storefronts on Main Streets. It doesn't seem like these stores ever right-size the number of locations. They just all close.

The reason new construction keeps happening is that stores want to be new and fresh. Hot chains or stores don't want to move into a building that's 30 or 40 years old and looks it. They don't want to be next to another store that's 25 years old and hasn't renovated or updated the entire time their open.

It's the same reason so many people build new houses even though there's enough stock. Newer = Better.

But now that I can get anything I want delivered to my door and hassle free returns for items I don't want, where is my incentive to go to a mall?
    Because buying stuff and shopping for stuff are two different things. You are right, you can buy anything you want online. However, a lot of people still like to shop in person, especially when you are buying clothes. My wife hates buying clothes, but she'll go to a store and try on a dozen shirts to find one that fits properly.

But to say real estate on Hall Road is cheap is flat out false.
    Not cheap, but cheaper than an indoor shopping mall.

Personally, I F***ing hate Hall Road. They should have just continued the freeway all the way from Mound to I-94 below grade with a 2 lane local service drive on each side.
    I agree with you 100% there. Hall road is a nightmare. The entire stretch by Lakeside is a case study in how not to do traffic management.

The Man Who Invented, Then Hated, Shopping Malls

Victor Gruen is, according to history, the man who invented the shopping mall... but that wasn't quite what he was aiming for. And it seemed like an appropriate day to do a video about suburban sprawl -- happy Independence Day, America!

Not surprised at all.

The concept of "the mall" was already outmoded when this opened.

Well at least Macomb Mall, Somerset Mall, Great Lakes Crossing, Southland Mall, Twelve Oaks Mall and Laurel Park Mall is up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Well at least Macomb Mall, Somerset Mall, Great Lakes Crossing, Southland Mall, Twelve Oaks Mall, Westland Mall and Laurel Park Mall is up and running.
    Fixed that for you Danny

So far Partridge Creek is surviving without anchor stores. And it least has a MJR Theatre Complex.