Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Party Store Owner Arrested for Assault

A party store owner in Detroit was arrested for alleged assault on a woman who was panhandling in front of his store.

Looks like this will be another locally high profile cross-racial controversy. Some community activists are demanding that the owner sell the store. We'll see how this evolves, of course.

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/det...woman-bloodied

DETROIT [[FOX 2) - The co-owner of Brandon’s Liquor Store on Puritan and Coyle has been arrested by Detroit police for allegedly assaulting a 48-year-old woman on Friday.
    Phone video of the aftermath showed Andrea Warren on the floor bleeding profusely after the altercation with co-owner Bassam Yatooma. Yatooma told FOX 2 that the woman had been panhandling for hours and refused to leave when asked. He said she had spit in his face before he grabbed her.
    Police say Yatooma can be seen on the store video assaulting Warren. Sources say he is seen dragging Warren into the store, punching her twice and standing over the top of her.

An officer close to the investigation said they found the video footage of the altercation disturbing.
    DPD told FOX 2 that the case was under review by the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office. He could be charged with assault.
    Yatooma has denied punching Warren.
    "I did not punch her," said Bassam Yatooma. "She spit in my face - and my mother and father not even a year ago, died two months apart from Covid, so I’m paranoid. When she spit in my face, I grabbed her by her collar and took her to the ground to avoid getting spit on again."
    FOX 2: "The video [[shows) she’s bleeding profusely from her mouth, how does that happen if you just [[grabbed) her?"
    "I grabbed her and she was bleeding, I was shocked myself she was bleeding," Yatooma said. "I didn’t mean or intend for any of that to happen."

Some of the community activists who are demanding that the owner sell the store were heard calling Mr. Yatooma racist names. They say graffiti was painted on the store telling people of his ethic heritage to "go back to where you came from"

The black female who got kick out from the store must to have called Black Lives Matter police force demanding the Liquor Store owner to sell his store and leave.

There are more Arab-Americans running convenient stores and supermarkets in the Ghetto hoods of Detroit. And most of them don't want any riff-raffs loitering, and begging for money outside their businesses. Since the Liquor Store owner is on the offensive, this case may up up either the black female demanding reparations or the party store to leave the hood.

Image that all the Arab-Americans business owners who owned mostly liquor stores and supermarkets in Detroit suddenly start moving out. Where are going to get to booze and lottery tickets from? The suburbs, they don't want riff raffs out there, too. Arab-American liquor stores and supermarkets owners in Detroit ghetto hoods provide an oasis of stability for its customers that they don't feel like walking blocks, take the bus or a car and hit 8 Mile Rd. to find a better convenient store to buy their boozes and Lottos.
    They are the ones that keep your hoods stable. They do have a business to run and riff-raffs must be in control to prevent something happen out of the Spike Lee movie. Give them a break! They are risking their lives during the pandemic so you can get your grub. Bring Black Lives Matter police force to have their businesses shut down will not bring resolution from your attitudes. The incident in the NW Detroit area is not a 'Crown Heights, N.Y.C.' problem. This is urban problem and it needs to be solve peacefully. If not then the Arabs will leave Detroit and see what a food desert area that you all create!
    Last edited by Danny; March-23-21 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    The black female who got kick out from the store must to have called Black Lives Matter police force demanding the Liquor Store owner to sell his store and leave.

There are more Arab-Americans running convenient stores and supermarkets in the Ghetto hoods of Detroit. And most of them don't want any riff-raffs loitering, and begging for money outside their businesses. Since the Liquor Store owner is on the offensive, this case may up up either the black female demanding reparations or the party store to leave the hood.

Image that all the Arab-Americans business owners who owned mostly liquor stores and supermarkets in Detroit suddenly start moving out. Where are going to get to booze and lottery tickets from? The suburbs, they don't want riff raffs out there, too. Arab-American liquor stores and supermarkets owners in Detroit ghetto hoods provide an oasis of stability for its customers that they don't feel like walking blocks, take the bus or a car and hit 8 Mile Rd. to find a better convenient store to buy their boozes and Lottos.
    They are the ones that keep your hoods stable. They do have a business to run and riff-raffs must be in control to prevent something happen out of the Spike Lee movie. Give the a break. They them a break! They are risking their lives during the pandemic so you can get your grub. Bring Black Lives Matter police force to have their businesses shut down will not bring resolution from your attitudes. The incident in the NW Detroit area is not a 'Crown Heights, N.Y.C.' problem. This is urban problem and it needs to be solve peacefully. If not then the Arabs will leave Detroit and see what a food desert area that you all create!
    Danny:
    Where would the store owners go if they left Detroit? The suburbs won't patronize stores that charge double the normal prices and sell food that is well past the "sell by" date. They have a captive clientele and exploit it for all it's worth. When did you ever see a neighborhood person working in any of the stores? It might go a long way towards easing any tensions. Surprised you didn't throw Antifa in there for good measure. Get a grip.

Attacking a panhandler to the point where they're bleeding all over the floor is unacceptable. He should have nothing to do with that store.

Quote Originally Posted by ct_alum View Post
    Danny:
    Where would the store owners go if they left Detroit? The suburbs won't patronize stores that charge double the normal prices and sell food that is well past the "sell by" date. They have a captive clientele and exploit it for all it's worth. When did you ever see a neighborhood person working in any of the stores? It might go a long way towards easing any tensions. Surprised you didn't throw Antifa in there for good measure. Get a grip.
    Exactly. This is why community members should be owners of these stores and not sociopath Mr. Yatooma from West Bloomfield.

It's not at all surprising the city went to those great lengths to make sure the same doesn't happen with weed shops.

Quote Originally Posted by ct_alum View Post
    Danny:

They would go to one of the thousands of other cities in the country.

City of Detroit - Hey that place is a public nuisance,bums hanging out in front of it,panhandling harassing everybody that wants to do business there,chat room forums telling everybody not to visit certain establishments because of the above mentioned.Shut it down.

Store owner - So if I have panhandlers and my store is labeled a public nuisance you want to shut me down.

But if I take steps to protect my business and the customers,you want me to shut down.

The store owners could sell the business to the African American community so it can be run by African Americans in their own community,but then you would have to figure out why African Americans do not open stores in their own community first.

How many stores does the community activists own? And if everybody is supposed to be equal why do they have an issue with a non African American?

Here is a list of over 600 African American owned businesses in metro Detroit,not a single one of them includes a party store or a C store in the hood,why?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-UdKzSE28nmPVlRlzUswqHOZ1suB_NyWzuRw-3NpEDM/mobilebasic
    Last edited by Richard; March-20-21 at 12:02 AM.

Is that picture supposed to be the store owner?

Reminds me of Chet in Weird Science after Lisa got done with him.

An older Detroit business owner used to deal with aggressive panhandlers the old-skool Detroit way. He'd call the police and file a report claiming the panhandler threatened him, [[never mind deterring potential customers from walking thru the door).

The panhandler[[s) would often ask him, after the police left, why he filed a report. His answer was simple: "So now I can kill you!"

It worked, until the next one showed up. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Is that picture supposed to be the store owner?
    The Chaldeans I've known are mostly good and decent people. I've met a few who have that skull phenotype.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    The Chaldeans I've known are mostly good and decent people. I've met a few who have that skull phenotype.
    I don't know any Chaldeans so I had to look that up. I did find one reference to Chaldean skull types. "The race was characterized by a round, brachycephalic skull".

Then I looked up 'brachycephalic". It means having a broad rather than long skull. I had once heard that Macedonians share that trait. In Taiwan, I saw a busload of people who all seemed to have large roundish heads. They all had faces as large as Gerald Ford's. I asked one Taiwanese guy who they might be. He said they were from a region of western China.

Map of worldwide narrow to broad skull ratios. Artists should be aware of this stuff. It missed the Chaldeans though as they are from the south end of the fertile crescent in Iraq.

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    Some of the community activists who are demanding that the owner sell the store were heard calling Mr. Yatooma racist names. They say graffiti was painted on the store telling people of his ethic heritage to "go back to where you came from"
    And some of them are supporting the owner...
    https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/com...bloodied-woman

And if it is true that she spit on him first, that's assault.

A no-win situation!

He has no evidence that she spit on him. He's not even wearing a mask but she is.

Even so, that doesn't give him the right to drag her into the store and beat her. This dude is a psycho and in the wrong no matter how you slice it.

Agreed. It's a situation that escalated out of hand. Guess we will see how it plays out in a court of law.

... commentary was all off the rails on Sam Riddle's show today, referencing this incident..

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    I agree mostly good and decent people. I’ve met a few honest ones too.

Drats! I am not able to listen to that [[910 AM Superstation) much due to my work schedule! I am sure Sam 'went in' as we say!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    ... commentary was all off the rails on Sam Riddle's show today, referencing this incident..
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-24-21 at 03:28 PM.