Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Russ Marshall - Best Photo Exhibit of Detroit Images Ever at the DIA

The photo gallery of the the DIA [Detroit Institute of Arts] currently features photos by Russ Marshall. From my long experience of seeing photo exhibits at the DIA, this is a clear winner as the most Detroit photo exhibit ever. His work also has immense humanity that touches the soul of working Detroit.

This show is concurrently running with Detroit Style: Car Design in the Motor City, 1950–2020 and], an equally outstanding exhibit of concept cars, drawings and illustrations showing the great genius of Detroit automotive design.

[Please note that due to pandemic limitations, you must first make a reservation to visit, by going to the DIA website.]

*Click Images to Enlarge

The image below is personal to me. It is from the Dearborn Engine Plant, where I worked for three summer during my university years--my introduction to Detroit. I worked further down the line from this point where engines sped by at 160 per hour.

How many of us were happy to punch out after a numbing day on the line?

The last photo, the fifth, is stunning.

Lowell, just curious, what was the circular patch on the jacket? I can only make out the map of Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Lowell, just curious, what was the circular patch on the jacket? I can only make out the map of Michigan.
    It says "Michigan" on top and "Great Lakes State"