Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default East Side Detroit's Beauty Treatment.

Detroit's East Warren-Cadieux corridor will be given a million dollar face lift. It's the developers way gentrify Morningside, East English Village and Cornerstone Village to its glory again.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...plan-unveiled/

While they at it, fix up Chandler Park, too.

I'm a resident of East English Village living less than a block off Warren. Our neighborhood is one of the most walkable in the city, but our 3 commercial strips [[Harper/Warren/Mack) are all wholly inadequate. The recent infrastructure improvements from DWSD, DTE, and Xfinity combined with a new focus on the Warren commercial corridor will only make things even better! But one of the best parts of this entire plan in my opinion is the focus on improvements to Balduck Park. It's an underutilized asset to the far-east side. I don't think it will be overlooked much longer.

https://detroitmi.gov/news/city-detr...ghborhood-fund

Really happy to see this in my old neighborhood. Balduck is such a wonderful park.
    I'd like to see the city pivot away from the small business retail focus though and more towards infrastructure for residents. A few quality storefronts and a beautified street scape is all you need, not blocks and blocks of 'mixed use.' Things like speed bumps and the alleys being cleanup have taken far too long to happen, but they are the residential quality of life things that will keep people here.
    How about a creative revamp of the median on Outerdrive and Chandler Park drive? It could be a good jogging circuit with a few built in exercise tools like the Dequindre cut.

For a long time lots of people were understandably complaining about the focus on downtown and midtown. But you have to build on your strengths. Progress really is now radiating out to the neighborhoods and I like how the city is focusing on resilient neighborhoods all around the city.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLemur View Post
    https://detroitmi.gov/news/city-detr...ghborhood-fund

Really happy to see this in my old neighborhood. Balduck is such a wonderful park.
    I'd like to see the city pivot away from the small business retail focus though and more towards infrastructure for residents. A few quality storefronts and a beautified street scape is all you need, not blocks and blocks of 'mixed use.' Things like speed bumps and the alleys being cleanup have taken far too long to happen, but they are the residential quality of life things that will keep people here.
    How about a creative revamp of the median on Outerdrive and Chandler Park drive? It could be a good jogging circuit with a few built in exercise tools like the Dequindre cut.
    I couldn’t agree more on the revamp of the many boulevards in this city they could be far more beautiful and/or usable than we currently have them. As for the alleys I remember the mayor talking about they are goin to start cleaning them up. I don’t remember the time frame but it is on the city’s radar.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    I couldn’t agree more on the revamp of the many boulevards in this city they could be far more beautiful and/or usable than we currently have them. As for the alleys I remember the mayor talking about they are goin to start cleaning them up. I don’t remember the time frame but it is on the city’s radar.
    The city has an active alley cleanup program. They take nominations, do an assessment, then spend a week or so cleaning it out. I have noticed several recently cleared alleys in the Pingree Park and Conner Creek areas.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    The city has an active alley cleanup program. They take nominations, do an assessment, then spend a week or so cleaning it out. I have noticed several recently cleared alleys in the Pingree Park and Conner Creek areas.
    Yes, its a good program. Two years ago I got a warning for tall weeds in my alley. This year they just show up and clear it. I think they'll do that, if the community devotes itsself to ally management.
    I wish they would have listened to residents who for years complained about alley neglect. I think the competitive housing market pushed the city to employ these quality of life issues. Let's do more of them!

My grandmothers house had an alley. I did her yard work. The final part of the yard work was to tidy up her part of the alley. A lost skill it seems.

The city's alley clean-up program is wrapped up in Ted tape. They require you be part of a "block club" and that it be registered with the city. Then you need to apply and get neighbors to sign a vague commitment. After all that you may get someone to show up, or maybe not.

How about just cleaning up the alleys that are well used and need the help? Isn't that why we pay taxes?

Sorry for the rant. I tried to get my alley cleaned but I don't have time to go door to door signing people up for a "block club" then spend hours working through everything else... Needless to say I was very disappointed by the process...

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    The city's alley clean-up program is wrapped up in Ted tape. They require you be part of a "block club" and that it be registered with the city. Then you need to apply and get neighbors to sign a vague commitment. After all that you may get someone to show up, or maybe not.

How about just cleaning up the alleys that are well used and need the help? Isn't that why we pay taxes?

Sorry for the rant. I tried to get my alley cleaned but I don't have time to go door to door signing people up for a "block club" then spend hours working through everything else... Needless to say I was very disappointed by the process...
    I think what the mayor was talking about was just doing all the alleys regardless of a block club. Again I’d have to find the clip

Lived in East English Village years ago. The Warren strip has lots of potential. Get better retail and restaurants for the area that don't draw unwanted people hanging around them. The restaurant, Detroit Coney Island, had closed last year. The building is still a nice building. Has the potential to be made into a nice family, non coney island restaurant.

Grew up on Three Mile Drive between Warren and Mack. Spent many a happy hour at the Alger Theatre, the Jefferson Branch Library, Sanders, Kresge's, and A&K Oriental, not to mention Cannon Rec Center and Balduck Park. In the 80s, Dad had a small sporting goods store on Warren and Yorkshire.

For a college class, I did a report on the East Warren Businessman's Association and the neighborhoods within its scope.

Also for DEAR [[Detroit East Area Residents), I contributed to a small booklet outlining the history of the neighborhood and its churches, schools, businesses, and more.

I hope that this "beauty treatment" is completed and that it helps to revitalize the area.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post

I can sympathize K-slice. I didn't want any part of this volunteer commitment. We've done Motor City CleanUp every year too, but it felt strange to me making a commitment to the city for volunteer hours.
    Luckily, city crews just showed up and cleaned/cleared our alley. But we're in a Strategic Neighborhood and dare I say we get preferential attention.