Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Anyone know this location - Michigan Ave

My brother is scanning some Detroit streetcar pictures, and needs location data. I may be uploading more, but we can start with this one.

Note the Wolverine Market in the background - there is currently a Wolverine Market near Eastern Market, but that would be near Gratiot. Also looks to be a church steeple as well.

Streetcar is signed for Michigan, but Michigan and Gratiot were through-routed and it is possible the motorman didn't change the sign, and we're on Gratiot.

Ray1936, any ideas? This would be your era - I was a toddler in Chicago when this was shot [[~1954).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Michigan at W Grand Boulevard. Wolverine Market was at 3620 Michigan Avenue at 25th. The Bar is still there today and next to it is Hygrade Deli. The church in the background is now the Zion Chapel Church on 24th. Not sure what is was back then. Looks like maybe another small church in the foreground?
    Last edited by MikeM; March-12-21 at 06:00 PM.

MikeM, thanks for the info [[and the hack to see the message). I've passed it on to my brother.

Okay the link from the thread list to this post has been fixed. Apparently placing [[Michigan Avenue) in parentheses in a thread title screws up the linkage. I remove the parentheses and it now works. Do I have any idea why? No.

Carry on...

Roughly the same view today.

Name:  grandblvd.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  58.0 KB

Hi, can anyone make out what Mike's Ham used to be? [[white building to the left)

Glad you got the answer. Yesterday when I clicked on the link I got a denial of entry message. Yep, used to walk a beat there, but that was after the streetcars on Michigan had been eliminated.

Thanks for fixing the link, Lowell.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Hi, can anyone make out what Mike's Ham used to be? [[white building to the left)
    The most recent directory I have, that I can search by address - for the west side, is from 1940. Back then, the bar in the photo [[the Lucky Booth in today's street view with the red trim and octagonal windows) was a used car dealer: Michigan Motor Sales, 3650 Michigan Avenue. Across Roosevelt was the Roosevelt Bar, at 3700 Michigan Avenue, now Mike's Ham. And the Wolverine Market wasn't there at that time - it was a shoe store [[I got the address from a 1949 phone book).

Sometime during or after the war, the shoe store became Wolverine, the car dealer became a bar, and the smaller church in the background on 25th was built, which I believe is this building, minus the cupola or steeple, in street view:

Name:  Church then.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  19.0 KB

Name:  church now.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  84.2 KB

Name:  1947.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  37.6 KB

Michigan Avenue street car service ended in September 1955. The sign board says MICHIGAN THROUGH which I've read ended in 1947, but some of those autos in the background must be 1950s era?

The church in the background was 24th St. Methodist, previously known as 2nd German Methodist. At least according to this old friend:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/712887...n/photostream/

The church in the foreground on 25th St. was St. Clement Macedonian Bulgarian Orthodox. According to Sanborn the church, which is now gone, stood to the south of the building MikeM posted a picture of. That building was the church's hall.

That church may be gone, but the congregation still exists out on Ford Rd., where they moved in the early '60s. Here is their history:
    http://www.stclementchurch.net/History.htm

Thanks Al. After taking a closer look, I realize those were not the same building.

Interesting thread. Must admit though, any picture with a PCC car in it is a good picture.

Lile's Sandwich Shop. He moved to Dearborn on Michigan Ave one block west of Schaefer.