Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default New Godfrey Brand Boutique Hotel Proposed For Corktown

If things ever get back to normal this could be a good location, on Mich. Ave. between MCS and MGM:

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...wn/4557048001/
    Last edited by 401don; February-23-21 at 07:36 PM.

Yep, this was announced last year, almost a year ago, in fact. This is just the formal announcement of them having received all of the proper approvals.

The only interesting piece of news here is they project hotel occupancy to bounce back in 2022.

Sorry! Totally forgot about it when I posted.

That boutique hotel is place for 2022 only if the COVID-19 Pandemic is over.

Now we know where the Godfrey hotel parking will go.

The Developer [[‘Oxford Perennial’), which consists of Oxford Capital, Hunter Pasteur, and the Forbes Company, has placed under contract and/or acquired several parcels in the Corktown neighborhood. Site 1 is located at 1611 Michigan Avenue and Site 2 is located at 1501 Church Street.

Oxford Perennial intends to develop a mixed-use, 188 unit apartment complex with 12,451 square feet of retail space, 7 Townhomes, 46 surface level spaces, and a 401 space parking garage.
    Site 1 will consist of a 7 story, 188 unit apartment building of which 20% of the units will be affordable to those earning no more than 80% of Area Median Income [[$50,240 or less for a two-person household). Units will range in size from 490SF to 1,188SF and will include a mix of studio, 1 bedroom, and 2 bedrooms. Fronting Michigan Avenue, the ground level of the apartment building will contain 9,385 SF of retail space. At the corner of 10th Street and Church, 7 Townhomes will front Church Street. The Townhomes will range from 2,236 to 2,731 SF and include 2 and3 bedrooms.

Site 2 will consist of a 3 story, 401 space parking garage. 3,066 SF of retail is also planned for the corner of Church and Trumbull.

The Michigan and Church Street Project seeks full governmental approvals by the third quarter of 2021 with a goal to commence construction by the fourth quarter of 2021.
    h/t to DetroitSportsFan
    https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...02019&page=310
    Last edited by hybridy; February-25-21 at 05:11 PM.

They’re also keeping the surface lot on Trumbull and Leverette and they plan to keep the Tiger Stadium parking sign at the corner there.

Wait that's another new development? That looks good as fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    Wait that's another new development? That looks good as fuck.
    It looks exactly like the Godfrey lmao. I wish they had switched up the design a little.

Quote Originally Posted by NSortzi View Post
    It looks exactly like the Godfrey lmao. I wish they had switched up the design a little.
    Considering who they hired, I would've expected more from the designer.

https://www.elkus-manfredi.com/

Site plan of Michigan + Church development
    Name:  MI_Church Site.JPG
Views: 6170
Size:  51.0 KB

Preservationists already upset about the proposed demolition of the Red Arrow Soda Company building at 1551 Church Street. The building looks to be in good shape, used for storage as long as Google Streetview can remember.

It looks like this structure is covered by the Corktown Historic District so the demo will have to go through a review. I'd be surprised if they approve demo.

Renovation seems like it would make sense and they could build a garage on the rest of the lot. You can charge hotel patrons and apartment residents more for garage parking anyways, seems like a win-win.

*Also, more reason to get some kind of Q Line Extension run up Michigan Ave*
    Last edited by K-slice; February-26-21 at 04:35 PM.

Yeah they should reduce their parking, it's a little excessive. I see no reason why it should be demolished.

Yeah they should reduce their parking, it's a little excessive. I see no reason why it should be demolished.
    Excessive parking is required per city zoning regs.

I would be shocked if the developer actually wants to build this much parking.

Also +1 to the QLine extension down michigan ave.

Quote Originally Posted by angry_fred View Post

Also +1 to the QLine extension down michigan ave.
    When you consider how long it took to get the 3 miles of Q Line up and running, I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for an extension.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    When you consider how long it took to get the 3 miles of Q Line up and running, I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for an extension.
    I think part of that was that they didn't know which way was best... center route or along the curb. It's arguable that they chose the right one, but once they finally decided and studied it... things went quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by angry_fred View Post

I doubt that, they got variances for the height of this project, they could have done that for the parking. Other recent developments have been built with not nearly the same amount of parking.

I decent parking garage in Corktown might actually lead to some decrease in surface lots in the future

Since the Coney Island unfortunately closed, maybe somebody can re-develop that southwest corner of Trumbull and Michigan Avenue across from "The Corner" development.