Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default question about SOS Request for Driver Evaluation

FIL's children in agreement that their father's dementia and poor judgment make him an unsafe driver. Children reluctant to take away keys and prefer an outside source remove his driving privilege. Children want to send Request for Driver Evaluation to SOS, but they are wondering about delays due to Covid. Do any forumers have experience with the process?

Check with his doctor[[s). In some cases, they may have the authority.

I have not but, have they had a talk with Dad? Here's additional information on the SOS website and after the form is completed and they feel reexamination is necessary he will have to have forms completed by his physician as Meddle stated....https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,...3762--,00.html
    Last edited by Maof; February-21-21 at 02:11 PM.

Why are they reluctant? He could kill himself or someone else. Just take the keys away. [[I had to do it for my Mom.)

Their stated reason for reluctance is not wanting to be the bad guy. I told my husband I'm willing to take away the keys. I took away my Mom's keys and understandably she was angry and resentful. FIL states he drives carefully and only drives to his GF's house 4 doors down. It's true that he drives a very short distance, but of course that's not relevant.

My husband will be talking to FIL's PCP tomorrow morning and will ask then about PCP's authority.

I also had experience taking care of a friend's mom in the early stages of dementia. I can't tell you how many times I would get to her home in the morning and she was no where to be found. I would find her walking around the Kroger parking lot a mile away, at the salon on a Sunday pounding at the door to get in and at the local Hallmark charging up a storm. I had to hide her keys as there was infighting between siblings.
    Last edited by Maof; February-21-21 at 02:35 PM.

Eventually he will forget who was the "bad guy" who took the keys.