Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default DWB in Dearborn?

Free Press reports disturbing statistics about citations issued and arrests in Dearborn.

Dearborn arrests: More than half are Black people

"Blacks make up about 3% to 4% of the city, according to the U.S. Census. But in 2019, 58.6% of arrests in Dearborn were of people who are Black, according to data Accountability for Dearborn obtained from the city. That's up from 48.6% of arrests in 2009. In addition, 47.7% of all citations issued by police in the city, such as traffic tickets, were given to Black people in 2019.

"The data doesn't show arrests and citations for Arab Americans, who are classified as white by the U.S. government. More than 46% of the city is Arab American, the highest percentage among cities in Michigan."

Full article with more statistics here: https://freep-mi.newsmemory.com?publink=5a15ee0e4_1345c50

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Free Press reports disturbing statistics about citations issued and arrests in Dearborn.

"Blacks make up about 3% to 4% of the city, according to the U.S. Census. But in 2019, 58.6% of arrests in Dearborn were of people who are Black, according to data Accountability for Dearborn obtained from the city. That's up from 48.6% of arrests in 2009. In addition, 47.7% of all citations issued by police in the city, such as traffic tickets, were given to Black people in 2019.

"The data doesn't show arrests and citations for Arab Americans, who are classified as white by the U.S. government. More than 46% of the city is Arab American, the highest percentage among cities in Michigan."

Full article with more statistics here: https://freep-mi.newsmemory.com?publink=5a15ee0e4_1345c50
    More like “Driving while breaking the law”. Yeah, I drive without insurance too but I don’t throw a bitch fit if I get pulled over. Dearborn also shares a border with the blackest most violent city in America, maybe, and hear me out, the crime will slightly carry over. Especially since in Detroit people drive however they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

I would have thought this was common knowledge for decades. Back when Fairlane was first open black people from my neighborhood wouldn't go there except maybe down the Southfield Fwy., because it was well-known that black drivers were routinely pulled over by the Dearborn cops on Michigan between Wyoming and Schaefer.

Dearborn used to be 'Klanville' when Orville Hubbard was long time mayor. He is clown squad hot and ready to catch black folks who didn't leave Dearborn after dark.

After Hubbard died there still a few leftover of folks who are longtime Dearborn residents still don't want to look at Black folks walking down their hoods. Even Arab folks are monitoring the situation at the Tireman St. border.

This 'DWB Keep Dearborn Clean' mentality needs to be put into the past. America has change after the years of Civil Rights Revolution to the Black Lives Matter Revolution. Everyone has the right to drive their cars, live, work and play in every American cities. Some Black folks are currently living, work and play in Dearborn and they love it.

The stats cited aren't subjective issues:

"74% of those who received citations for driving while license suspended, revoked or denied were Black.

h 70% of those who misrepresented their ID were Black.

h 60% of those who failed to show license or proof of registration were Black.

57% to 59% of citations in other categories - no insurance, registration, plate violations, no proof of insurance - were Black".

Did the cops call the SOS as they were pulled over to suspend the license? Did the cops force these people to lie about who they are? Did the cops cancel the driver's insurance policies as they pulled them over?

The point is, how are the supposed racist cops giving out these citations unjustly? Are we supposed to believe that they are pulling over Whites, Asians, Hispanics, etc and just letting almost all of them off with warnings for these things?

Insure your vehicle, don't lie to the cops, show your license when asked. Seems pretty easy...

^^ When you make a practice of only stopping drivers that meet a certain profile, the numbers are bound to be skewed.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    More like “Driving while breaking the law”.
    Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    The stats cited aren't subjective
    Just like stop-and-frisk.

As a reminder, stop-and-frisk was an unconstitutional and totally ineffective police initiative intended to quell gun violence pioneered in NY.

According to the 2010 Census, the NYC total population was 8,175,133:

33% were white
    27% were latin
    23% were black
    13% were asian
    3% were bi-racial
    1% were something else

At its height of stop-and-frisk in 2011 NY recorded 685,724 stops. The results:

88% were innocent
    53% were black
    34% were latin
    87% were black or latin
    9% were white
    51% were aged 14-24
    41% were black and/or latin males aged 14-24
    90% of black and/or latin males were innocent

In other words, even when cops targeted young black and latin men in targeted neighborhoods, non-black non-latin men in non-targeted neighborhoods were more likely criminals.

In 2012, under pressure to police more fairly, there were 532,911:

89% were innocent
    55% were black
    32% were latin
    87% were black or latin
    10% were white
    26% were black males aged 14-24
    15% were latin males aged 14-24
    41% were black and/or latin males aged 14-24
    4% were white males aged 14-24
    700% or so more arrests were for marijuana possession than for guns

...Even though it was a crime only to possess marijuana in "public view." Funny how they considered it possessed in "public view" when it was hidden in a pocket until the frisk.

In other words, the vast majority of crimes by black and latin teens and young men were for marijuana possession, probably the result of an unlawful search.

Blacks and latins were stopped and frisked at about 10 times as often as whites. They were 87% of the stops. It only stands to reason that led to many more arrests. Of course it produced skewed results. It does not indicate blacks and latins were more likely to be a criminal or possess drugs. If they were any less than 87% of the arrests it would suggest they are less likely, not more.

Black, latin, and white teens and young men are equally likely to use drugs.

Facts don't lie.

Sommaya younguns have a lot to learn. You can get there. I suggest more time much farther from home.

If you don't get the analogy you have bigger problems.
    Last edited by bust; February-22-21 at 02:19 PM.

During the 70's/ 80's/ 90's in Grosse Pointe when the non-white population was statistically practically insignificant I saw with my own eyes who got stopped by police.

As I previously shared I was once with the brother of a cop from Livonia who thought it was funny they, except for the black one, announced over police radio whenever they encountered a "NIL." So they could be followed.

In response to the admirable theory too hopeful maybe N stood for "negro", it didn't.
    Last edited by bust; February-21-21 at 10:59 PM.

First of all... Michigan auto insurance companies are required twice a month to send the Michigan Secretary of State insured lists. So this information shows up on the states database that all police departments can access while in their vehicles.

They can run a license plate, and determine whether you are insured or not. They can also determine if the owner of the car has an outstanding arrest warrant.

Police in Dearborn are probably no different from the State Police that cruise Belle Isle State Park. If you are black, that will likely increase the chances of the police running your license thru their computer for info, since they will likely have a higher chance of not being able to afford the outrageous Detroit auto insurance premiums. And they also check for arrest warrants.

That does suck for blacks... although it is not illegal.

Dearborn is not lenient on whites either. I got a ticket there 6 years ago for making a left turn at a traffic light... while making a left yellow arrow turn. But it is much worse for blacks driving in Dearborn.
    Last edited by Gistok; February-22-21 at 01:57 AM.

When you make a practice of only stopping drivers that meet a certain profile, the numbers are bound to be skewed.
    I would like to see the statistic of traffic stops where the driver was white/black/other.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    ^^ When you make a practice of only stopping drivers that meet a certain profile, the numbers are bound to be skewed.
    Then we're missing a critical piece of information required for drawing a causal relationship. Reasons for these stops would also be helpful, but reality may not fit the current SJW agenda of everything being racist.

At best this data is incomplete, at worst purposely misleading.

Meh,we do not have DWB in the south,everybody has tinted windows,you cannot see who is driving,so they just use plate scanners and scan everybody all the time for infractions.

In the UK and other heavily laden camera countries,the police do not need to pull people over for traffic infractions,make an illegal U turn and you get a picture and ticket in the mail,just like with the red light cameras

Dearborn still has issues no doubt. For example some their police officers have a penchant for driving about in parking lots verifying handicap placards. I had a red temporary one a while back and while shopping at one of their strip malls, I walked up on a officer reading my placard to verify that is was legit. As I approached him on cane from a recent surgery he immediately put up his ticket book, smiled, bid me ado, and drove off. Like really?!

Perish the thought had I not been on a cane, but whatever, my placard was registered to my car. Period. Had he completed his check he would have learned that. And a handicap is not always visible.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-22-21 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    And a handicap is not always visible.
    I agree. Cops have to talk to me for a few minutes before they come to the conclusion there's something wrong with this guy.

I hear that! I've worked in that area, and actually find Lincoln Park far more 'plate-running' happy. I'm never stopped in Dea but as black woman [[not a teenager), I know that may have been a factor.

I've had them come up behind me obviously running mine as they trailed along slowly. Then speed away when nothing comes up. I see them up on Ford Rd. alot and they need to be as too maniac speeding power-drivers fly about that area and there is the occasional deer for extra fun!

I had a car with rather dark-tinted windows and a LPark officer pulled me over. He had no idea who was behind the dark tint so I was extra careful to make sure he saw me clearly rolling down my window. Finding nothing wrong except the windows I had to endure a lecture.

But then he went on. That car was a pain due to the window tint.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Dearborn is not lenient on whites either. I got a ticket there 6 years ago for making a left turn at a traffic light... while making a left yellow arrow turn. But it is much worse for blacks driving in Dearborn.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-22-21 at 10:20 PM.

LOL! You know you have jokes....... I had a friend who had heart disease and had a placard and got a few ugly stares from people as her handicap is not obvious. You know people should MIND their business, especially now with so many people on the edge!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I agree. Cops have to talk to me for a few minutes before they come to the conclusion there's something wrong with this guy.

I hear that! I've worked in that area, and actually find Lincoln Park far more 'plate-running' happy. I'm never stopped in Dea but as black woman [[not a teenager),I know that may make be factor.

I've had them come up behind me obviously running mine as they trailed along slowly. The speed away when nothing comes up. I see them up on Ford Rd. alot and they need to be as too maniac speeding power-drivers fly about that area and there is the occasional deer for extra fun!

I had a car with rather dark-tinted windows and a LPark officer pulled me over. He had no idea who was behind the dark tint so I was extra careful to make sure he saw me clearly rolling down my window. Finding nothing wrong except the windows I had to endure a lecture.

But they he went on. That car was a pain due to the window tint.
    I would never buy a car with tinted windows, it gives the police another excuse to stop you and find something wrong.

^ Yeah indeed it was annoying. But otherwise the car [[coming from Florida), a Honda Accord was cool, ran well and a great bargain as purchased here [[no wonder why).

It was almost amusing when the police would pull me over, prepped/ ready expecting some hopped-up guy at the wheel and there I was dull, playing AM talk radio, papers, and books and gym-shoes all over the seats, insured, and well-over 40!!
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-22-21 at 10:18 PM.

Dearborn still has issues no doubt. For example some their police officers have a penchant for driving about in parking lots verifying handicap placards. I had a red temporary one a while back and while shopping at one of their strip malls, I walked up on a officer reading my placard to verify that is was legit. As I approached him on cane from a recent surgery he immediately put up his ticket book, smiled, bid me ado, and drove off. Like really?!

Perish the thought had I not been on a cane, but whatever, my placard was registered to my car. Period. Had he completed his check he would have learned that. And a handicap is not always visible.
    Grosse Pointe Park PD does the same thing, they cruise the Kroeger lot in the Village checking the handicap stickers.
    Also reminds me of what happened to the first Mrs. Alum back in the 80's, she was driving her brand new Firebird on I-96 and MSP pulled her over. She asked why and the Trooper actually told her the "She didn't look like she belonged in that car".

Carry current tags
    Carry proper insurance
    Don't limo tint every window in your vehicle
    Don't drive like you just stole the car
    ANYONE doing the above will get stopped. If you are pulled over and have nothing to hide then don't even worry about it! It sucks but if your polite you will be on your way 10 out of 10 times. I'm sick of it

Yeah, I'm not reflexively anti LEO's. Nope. But I've had to endure a few lectures about trivial matters [[beyond the dark windows of the one car) when the officer pulling me over had nothing else to do [[or cite as a ticketable item). One even critiquing the age of my car [[crazy I know). I've always remained professional and the encounter ended without issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ct_alum View Post
    Grosse Pointe Park PD does the same thing, they cruise the Kroeger lot in the Village checking the handicap stickers.
    Also reminds me of what happened to the first Mrs. Alum back in the 80's, she was driving her brand new Firebird on I-96 and MSP pulled her over. She asked why and the Trooper actually told her the "She didn't look like she belonged in that car".

^Zacha341... as you probably have found out [[I know I have)... that once you hit 50 years old... police are much more polite to you than when you are in your 20s.

Also... speaking of the Grosse Pointes... NEVER drive a car thru the Pointes that their police can tell "is not the type of car Grosse Pointers would drive". And I mostly mean... don't drive clunkers thru there.

And also make sure your head/tail/brake lights are all working when driving thru the Pointes. They look for that sort of stuff to pull you over and ticket you [[many other suburbs do so as well).

^ True that - Hah! But I got a few kind lectures/ pull-overs in my 20's - 40's especially in Ferndale [[at that time). Sometimes for no reason - a few for my then penchant for making illegal left turns! Some negotiated the more expensive 'impeding' traffic ticket instead of the point-laden [[long-term expensive) bad-turn ticket. All about the revenue $benjamins scene.

Yeah I've worked in that area as well [[the Pointes) and yes, you best OBEY their speed ordinances! The signs says 35, do 33 mph! They're not having speed-demons mowing people down in their walkable areas. Jefferson all the way is a speed trap including, Mack and Warren. You see police sitting waiting for that person clueless to how strict they are about speeding.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-23-21 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    ^Zacha341... as you probably have found out [[I know I have)... that once you hit 50 years old... police are much more polite to you than when you are in your 20s.

Also... speaking of the Grosse Pointes... NEVER drive a car thru the Pointes that their police can tell "is not the type of car Grosse Pointers would drive". And I mostly mean... don't drive clunkers thru there.

And also make sure your head/tail/brake lights are all working when driving thru the Pointes. They look for that sort of stuff to pull you over and ticket you [[many other suburbs do so as well).
    The head/tail/brake lights is just the pretext to pull you over in hopes of finding guns, drugs or other felony offenses. If you're clean, the ticket is their consolation prize.
    The 2nd Mrs. Alum doesn't put up with that nonsense, she took a Southgate PD cop to court over a bogus pretext stop. The guy's Sergeant couldn't believe she did it and told her so, apparently that kind of stop of black people is s.o.p. there and nobody calls them on it.

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    I'm sick of it
    You're not the only one.

Do you remember Philando Castile? The black man killed by a police officer during a "routine" traffic stop in St. Anthony, MN -- an inner ring Minneapolis suburb 4 miles from downtown. It's 91% white and 2% black.

From the beginning of the encounter until he was shot dead 74 seconds later Castile was "compliant" and attempting to follow police instructions. 7 bullets in 7 seconds. His girlfriend livestreamed his death from the passenger seat. Her 4-year old son was in the back. Follow the link if you must.

He was 32 years old and in the less than 14 years he had been driving he was stopped by the police at least 52 times -- on average 4 times per year.

NPR did a detailed analysis of 46 of them. They determined, "Of all of the stops, only six of them were things a police officer would notice from outside a car — things like speeding or having a broken muffler."

Hmm.

The officer who killed him faced manslaughter and weapons charges. It was the first time a Minnesota officer had been indicted for shooting a civilian on duty. He was acquitted of all charges.

Four years after killing Philando Castille, St. Anthony police continue to pull over black motorists at disproportionate rates. In fact, Since the St. Anthony police department started collecting data in 2017, the share of black people its officers pulled over has increased each year.

Also four years later, Minnesota public safety officials announced new guidelines for how drivers should interact with law enforcement during traffic stops and how officers should interact with civilians.

Just a reminder, it was before this, only three years later, that George Floyd was pulled from his car in Minneapolis and killed by another officer. More slowly. He was asphyxiated in 8 minutes and 46 seconds.

There are countless other examples.

A white officer in Cleveland fired repeatedly at an unarmed black couple inside a car, including at least 15 shots after he reloaded and climbed onto the hood of the car. He was acquitted of manslaughter. A white police officer was found not guilty in the fatal shooting of an unarmed Black man in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Six Baltimore police officers were charged in the death of Freddie Gray in police custody. All charges were dropped or officers acquitted. The trial of the South Carolina police officer who shot Walter Scott in the back as he ran away ended in a mistrial. The trial of the white former University of Cincinnati police officer who fatally shot unarmed black motorist Samuel DuBose during a traffic stop ended in a mistrial too. And so on.

Of course there is a much bigger problem at the root of this. It's disparity in our legal system. A presumption of guilt and dangerousness makes people of color vulnerable to unfair treatment, wrongful convictions, and racial violence.
    Last edited by bust; February-23-21 at 01:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast