Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default gross Pointe Park resident displays KKK flag in Window

White Resident Hangs KKK Flag in Window Facing Black Neighbor's Home

Jedonna Dinges said her neighbor put a Ku Klux Klan flag in the side window of their home in Grosse Pointes Park, Michigan.

https://www.newsweek.com/white-resid...ighbor-1570147

"Non-Confrontational people?" I can't think of too many ways to be more confrontational than a KKK flag aimed at a black person's house. His white hood must have been at the dry cleaner
    Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    White Resident Hangs KKK Flag in Window Facing Black Neighbor's Home

Jedonna Dinges said her neighbor put a Ku Klux Klan flag in the side window of their home in Grosse Pointes Park, Michigan.

https://www.newsweek.com/white-resid...ighbor-1570147

Wow! So they had to take the flag down, now what? She still has to live next to this fool.
    Last edited by Maof; February-19-21 at 11:09 AM.

About a decade ago I confronted a high school aged GP hockey player who insisted on referring to the Zamboni driver with the n-word, while his friends snickered:

"All that money and not a lick of class."

I had the Cass Tech grad and a DPS teacher covering my back.

There was, unfortunately, a whole lot of racist bs going on in those
    locker rooms, and not just the kids.
    Last edited by Hamtragedy; February-18-21 at 08:37 AM.

She explained that she installed the camera after someone recently put a full gasoline container in her dumpster.
    That [[the gasoline, not the camera) puts others at risk. That can't end well.
    Last edited by Jimaz; February-18-21 at 09:57 AM.

At the same time this is happening, residents in GP Farms with BLM signs on their lawn are getting anonymous envelopes, containing a clipping of the local political sign ordinance, mailed to them. No reports of other sign displayers getting similar notices.

Name:  f9ed5f238f426ec4219ca5cb968277c1.jpg
Views: 1418
Size:  85.4 KB

Not to mention that BLM is NOT political. It was not a candidate; it was not something to be voted on. Ergo, there is no reason to take them down. Black Lives Mattering is not something that is to be legislated, voted on or petitioned. It is a statement of fact and human rights.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    At the same time this is happening, residents in GP Farms with BLM signs on their lawn are getting anonymous envelopes, containing a clipping of the local political sign ordinance, mailed to them. No reports of other sign displayers getting similar notices.

Name:  f9ed5f238f426ec4219ca5cb968277c1.jpg
Views: 1418
Size:  85.4 KB
    Last edited by jcole; February-18-21 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Not to mention that BLM is NOT political.
    Yeah, well.. try explaining that to the sender.

I take some comfort in knowing that the GP elites are fulfilling my imagined idea of their passive-aggressiveness by licking envelopes and stamps, albeit without the club letterhead.

Just prior to this, there was a heated discussion of whether a Trump flag is a political sign, and if it should be taken down by now.

Last edited by Zacha341; February-19-21 at 07:45 AM.

Man who displayed KKK flag in Grosse Pointe Park not cooperating...

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/man...-investigation

Is it my imagination or have the media successfully all uniformly protected the identity of the neighbor?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Is it my imagination or have the media successfully all uniformly protected the identity of the neighbor?
    Generally, for non-public figures, the media is gun shy about names unless someone is charged with a crime.

More national media picking it up.

Sadly this thread was threadjacked and turned into a NON DETROIT political rage debate. We provided a forum for such discussions and having them here, where only purely Detroit Discussion is permitted, is absolutely forbidden. Even NON DETROIT has again spun out of control and is closed.

Such threadjacking creates a tremendous amount of work for us. Any future such threadjacking or injection of irrelevant non Detroit politics in the forum will be grounds for dismissal of participation on Detroit. Please. Discuss Detroit only on this forum.
    Last edited by admin; February-27-21 at 02:08 PM.

Thank You... many times over.

This is horrible!!! Wayne Co. Prosecutor Kim Worthy decided not to charge that racist neighbor for hanging a KKK Flag in his dining room window of his home next to a Black neighbor.

This is not a confederacy. This is the United States of America. There should be no form of racism and hate in our free country. But racism will end until Jesus says it over.

I'm glad Kim Worthy upheld free speech, even if I vehemently disagree with the flag. Now, there may be other non-government mandated consequences for this racist idiot, but the right call was made here.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    I'm glad Kim Worthy upheld free speech, even if I vehemently disagree with the flag. Now, there may be other non-government mandated consequences for this racist idiot, but the right call was made here.
    So your point is its ok to hang a Nazi-German Swastika or a Isis Flag in front of my property that includes a Black Lives Matter flag.

Don't you just love America. Home of the Freedom of Speech while we tried to cancel culture.

I know what the neighbor has done is despicable, but it's not illegal. He didn't put it in front of the lady's house, or even in front of his house. He hung it in a side window in his own house. I think he knew he would get away with this sneaky way of doing it so that's what he did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    So your point is its ok to hang a Nazi-German Swastika or a Isis Flag in front of my property that includes a Black Lives Matter flag.

Don't you just love America. Home of the Freedom of Speech while we tried to cancel culture.

Indeed a level of freedom must be maintained - so I can see Worthy's take. The pleasant and not so pleasant or we will look up and find little left to be able to be said or displayed.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post

The people who hung the flag are despicable.
    The Judge's decision was correct.

Those views are not incompatible.

For better and for worse [[mostly the better), according to our Constitution, the onus is on us to counter offensive speech, dishonest speech, even despicable speech, with our own.

Democracy isn't easy.

It creates a hardship for marginalized groups.
    It protects minorities.

Those statements aren't incompatible either.

Meanwhile, speech today happens very differently than it did in 1791, when the 1st Amendment was passed. The total population of the 13 US colonies was ~3.9 million people according to the 1790 Census. Far fewer had the right to vote.

Of course, the 1st Amendment could not take today's context into account, centuries later.
    We've advanced fast.

The most powerful speech no longer happens in person, and has been greatly amplified by technology. The "public square" has long since moved on.

But when the couple hung a KKK flag on their private property it's the kind of free speech the authors of the 1st Amendment imagined.

If we need a change we need a new law.

The people who hung the KKK flag are disgusting.
    They're asswipes soaked with cholera diarrhea.
    No one should have to suffer their vile and idiotic racism.

We're free to say loudly how despicable they are.

It's a burden.
    For better and for worse [[mostly the better), it's the system we have.

That, too, is up for debate.
    Last edited by bust; March-03-21 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

Yes. That's exactly what America is all about. Freedom.

Paraphrased .....

'I may not like what they say, but I'll defend to the death their right to say it.'

As long as no one was assaulted or physically harmed and no overt threats were made, no crime was committed.

I regularly see the 'confederate' flag flying in several places. It's wrong, but it isn't illegal.

Lets be real here for a minute. If the KKK flag was flying from the front porch I would agree that free speech would have the person who flew the flag covered. If one wants a swastika tattooed on their forehead have at it. You reap what you sow.

What happened here was the flag was directed at the neighbors house which in this case was a clear attempt at intimidation and is threatening considering the violence and death that has been perpetrated on black people under the symbols of the KKK.

Asking or expecting the rule of law to protect free speech and at the same time protect people from threatening behavior directed at a specific individual is not to much to ask. I agree with Ms. Worthy that some legislation should be brought up for debate in Lansing to prevent these types of directed threats.

At the very least the victim of this incident is entitled to a quick hearing in court for a personal protection order along the lines of the perpetrator of this threat must remain 500 feet away from the victim or face prosecution.

^^ Um... I understand people's anger... but having a 500 ft. PPO for your next door neighbor is not exactly enforceable... it's the next door neighbor.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Yes. That's exactly what America is all about. Freedom.
    America is all about racism, too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast