Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Haikoont Guest

Default Is it me, or is this site getting better and better?

I have noticed a significant improvement in the quality of posts and the knowledge and insight of posters since I joined up on the old board. And it's been a pretty steady upward trajectory. Frankly, DetroitYES! has become my number one source for local information. The daily newspapers are shells of their former selves.

Do others feel the same? I haven't been around as long as many of you, so oldtimers feel free to offer some perspective.

It's you...

I do catch some news here first with some great insights. There is a significant amount of negativity that seems to spread a cloud through any thread it hits. That can be depressing and also sparks arguments that become repetitive. That aside, I agree there is a lot of good here. Thanks for catching the site doing something right!

detmich Guest

At first I was disappointed in the sight. But people seem to be opening up to all sorts of new ideas. I think that the economic crisis is forcing people to rethink the world.

See every cloud does have a silver lining. If the local economy had stayed reliant on the automotive industry we never would have seen the opportunities that surround us. Detroit,and this site, is a better place now than it was because people here are making it so.

A vast majority of the posts on DY are thoughtful and well written. I quite enjoy reading them, even though I don't really respond to many.

Compared to the comments on the web editions of the News and Freep, however, DY submitters are brilliant. I can't believe some of the idiotic posts that appear after a Detroit News article. While I have not joined the 'grammar police', glancing at those submissions tempts me to do just that........

It's just you. This site is no where near as good as it was several years ago. Way too much bickering and BS to keep the informed people posting.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    It's just you. This site is no where near as good as it was several years ago. Way too much bickering and BS to keep the informed people posting.
    It's not the bickering and BS so much as the perverse incentives. You're free to post stupid shit all day long and nobody says a thing, but call out anyone for being stupid and you're outta here. Thus, people who are stupid don't realize how stupid they are and consequently never get any smarter, and people who aren't stupid either keep their insight to themselves or get banned for expressing it a little too forcefully at some particularly hard-headed idiot. The message is clear:
    Obnoxious idiots--keep on keepin' on
    Intelligent, knowledgeable people whose fuses are a few inches too short--don't let the door hit ya...

The results speak for themselves.

Stosh Guest

A quotation from Chief Inspector Dreyfus is appropriate in this thread.

"Everyday, in every way, I'm getting better and better"

Of course he didn't originally say it, but who cares.

Bearinabox- Well said!

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    It's not the bickering and BS so much as the perverse incentives. You're free to post stupid shit all day long and nobody says a thing, but call out anyone for being stupid and you're outta here. Thus, people who are stupid don't realize how stupid they are and consequently never get any smarter, and people who aren't stupid either keep their insight to themselves or get banned for expressing it a little too forcefully at some particularly hard-headed idiot. The message is clear:
    Obnoxious idiots--keep on keepin' on
    Intelligent, knowledgeable people whose fuses are a few inches too short--don't let the door hit ya...

The results speak for themselves.
    It's a comunication tool; to know how to ridicule someone; one you have to practice using. If you want to change behavior you have to convince the person to change, one on one. Force often results in a meltsdown.

One can have a short fuse and restrain oneself from acting out in ways they will possibly regret.

There is no shortage of ignorance in the world...and these e-conversations should be a great way to learn and grow.

Operative term...should.

I believe the nature of disagreement and discourse has degraded overall in what we call civilized society...but the common reaction of avoiding the hot topics of religion and politics simply insures that none of us learns what and how any others achieved their conclusions, so THAT nearly guarantees ignorance in abundance!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    A vast majority of the posts on DY are thoughtful and well written. I quite enjoy reading them, even though I don't really respond to many.

Compared to the comments on the web editions of the News and Freep, however, DY submitters are brilliant. I can't believe some of the idiotic posts that appear after a Detroit News article. While I have not joined the 'grammar police', glancing at those submissions tempts me to do just that........
    I agree with Ray. We were taught years ago that newspapers were written in such a way that a person with a sixth grade education could easily read them.
    Many of the posted responses suggest that the sixth grade bar might be set too high. Are students even taught grammar anymore?
    Last edited by Bobl; September-13-09 at 01:17 PM. Reason: grammar!

Gannon:"
    Your reply, [[above) is an excellent interpretation of one of Shakespeare's greatest admonitions.

"Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment."

The key word being, 'reserve.'

Even before the new site went online, I have been trying to write stuff correctly and not be a pain in peoples behind. One thing is alot of stuff on here reverts to becoming a racial issue.Such as a recent topic about a certain hotel in an inner ring suburb.I do get alot of info off this site and wish that I could support it more. Best tthing though is that Ray and TP are still posting, and I miss Jjaba.

Tpone, You're right again and presenting a perfect quote.

Reading over this thread and all the self perceived intellectual prowess is humorous.

Hope I ain't in the group with intellectual prowness. I be far from it. But I am trying to be more understandable.

Hey Red, Quit putting yourself down. Everyone has self doubts, but you take that to new levels. I for one, enjoy your posts. In the venacular, you be good people.

Relax, enjoy and keep sharing thoughts.

If it makes you feel any better, my husband, myself and our two adult children, test at seriously high IQs. Kids are doing great, us not so well.

Brains mean little, an I can do it attitude, everything. Best wishes Sumas