Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Mary Wilson, founder of the Supremes has passed away.

Legendary Motown music artist and founder of Supremes Mary Wilson has passed away at age 76. She will be truly missed. She sing songs like 'Baby Love' to 'Ain't no Mountain High Enough.' with Diana Ross and Florence Ballard. Mary, you will be remembered.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mary-...b6f38d06e6a595
    Last edited by Danny; February-09-21 at 07:20 AM.

Mary Wilson along with Diana, Flo [[Betty McGlown) as the Primettes with the primes with Paul Williams and Eddie Kendricks before two of the males joined Otis Williams and The Distants later The Temptations.

Just saw her on an Aretha Franklin special on PBS last week, which was taped after Aretha's passing, so fairly recent. Sounds like a heart attack. Never really saw her take any cheap shots at Diana Ross, which if you believe the stories, would have been well deserved.

Better to do the old YouTube videos like "Someday We'll be Together".

And they will.

RIP Mary. Diana graduated from Cass Tech the year before I got there. Name:  mary [[2).jpg
Views: 487
Size:  199.3 KB

^ Awesome! Did not know she was a "Cass Technician".

Sad, sad news. She was the real soul of the Supremes, the cool head who kept things together when the situation was threatening to spiral out of control. Despite Diana Ross' dominating presence, Mary Wilson had a beautiful voice of her own, which you can hear in the groups' post Diana Ross recordings. And of course her considerable style and beauty along with those smooth moves.

She had a reputation as one of the truly nice people in music. My one experience with here, during the time I was acquainted with Esther Gordy Edwards, bore that out. She was joyful, engaged, and very very polite to someone who was just a fan.

as a kid growing up in Detroit in the 60's. Mary Wilson was who i wanted to be when i grew up. to me, she was [[and always will be) the most beautiful and classiest artist who ever came out of the city. and, unlike some others, she was always proud of where she came from.

one of the greatest regrets of my life - which i'm sure will seem trivial - is that, many years ago, i accompanied my husband to a corporate "award" function in CA. we almost didn't go because husband sprained his back right before the trip but he decided to rough it out with pain pills. for the fancy award dinner, i had the perfect dress: cream satin with a sleeveless fitted bodice covered in gold lace and a tight waist over a fill, mid-calf, skirt. the after dinner entertainment was Mary Wilson accompanied by the Spinners. Mary asked for volunteers from the audience to act as backup "Supremes" which would have been a dream come true because i know EVERY Supremes song. i couldn't leave my husband, though, and instead spent the time singing along and swaying with the music beside his chair. at least i was able to see her perform live but OH!! how i would have loved to sing backup for her!!

Nice memories of Mary Wilson!!

Lamont Dozier Remembers Mary Wilson: ‘She Was the Glue That Kept the Supremes Together’

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ilson-1125057/

The Detroit Free Press published an article today, but it's subscriber access only.
    Motown's Eddie and Brian Holland serve up the memories in wake of Mary Wilson's death

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    RIP Mary. Diana graduated from Cass Tech the year before I got there. Name:  mary [[2).jpg
Views: 487
Size:  199.3 KB
    I got there in '61 and later learned she had been there at the same time. I have the 63, 64 and 65 yearbooks, but did not get the 62.
    http://www.classmates.com/blog/celebrity/diana-ross/