Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Golf retailer Greyson to replace shuttered John Varvatos store

Just in via Crain's.

The John Varvatos store in downtown Detroit, shuttered since March, is closed for good and will be replaced by Greyson Clothiers, which is moving into more space from a different central business district location.

Greyson is taking a little over 4,000 square feet in the Wright-Kay Building at 1500 Woodward Ave. formerly occupied by the high-end John Varvatos Enterprises Inc. clothing store, bumping the golf and other athletic apparel retailer up from the approximately 3,400 square feet it had in the First National Building.

Both buildings are owned by billionaire mortgage and real estate mogul Dan Gilbert, whose Bedrock LLC real estate management, development and leasing company announced the move on Wednesday.

"Welcoming another small business to Woodward Avenue is a very exciting moment for us," said Ivy Greaner, COO for Bedrock. "Unique brands like Greyson are what continues to make downtown Detroit a shopping destination and we cannot wait to watch their creative concept continue to grow.

Greyson is expected to open in the middle of the month. A build-out cost was not disclosed. The company opened its First National Building space in the spring of 2019 in conjunction with the first Rocket Mortgage Classic PGA golf tournament held at Detroit Golf Club.

John Varvatos Enterprises filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in Delaware in early May.
    https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...-store-detroit

That's an odd place for a golf retailer.

But I wish them success.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

But I wish them success.
    They originally were brought in during the Rocket Mortgage Classic, I didn't expect them to stick around now. However, golf apparel is similar to yoga apparel in which certain people wear it all day long. Just looking at their website, they describe themselves as "Golf, Lifestyle, and Activewear."

Maybe husbands will go there while their wives go to Lululemon...

I doubt there will be much to do in terms of build out. It's a similar business and Varvatos did a nice job on what was already a gorgeous building. I haven't hit the links for a couple of years. Maybe I'll check them out for some checkered pants.
    Last edited by 401don; February-04-21 at 03:11 PM.

Name:  3 Stooges Golfing.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  18.9 KB

Horrible!!!! Gilbert Town Detroit is really going backwards. Blame COVID-19, too.

I think it speaks more to the business strategy of a company that sold $300 white t-shirts than it does to a decline in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

But I wish them success.

MTE, golf? seriously?

"Merchants Row" is not a viable shopping district. Rents are highly subsidized by Bedrock [[if not free), and even then, the shops have few customers. The pandemic has only made things worse, but it was true even before.

Yep. Dig it! That's about Zuckerberg's price range ala the 'elite' casual t-shirts and semi-wrinkled dockers, proletariat look - that was always so obvious. Not the average persons range for duds at all.

Persons buying at that level often use private buyers, and for sure ain't walking up into a store on Woodward, in Detroit. Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    I think it speaks more to the business strategy of a company that sold $300 white t-shirts than it does to a decline in Detroit.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-05-21 at 02:20 PM.

Nice to hear from you CC...... Yeah at the peak of my consumerism it was always annoying that most of these stores rolled-up-the-side walk early, often closed by 6 or 7 PM. Which made mall or suburban shopping all the more convenient. Sign....

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    "Merchants Row" is not a viable shopping district. Rents are highly subsidized by Bedrock [[if not free), and even then, the shops have few customers. The pandemic has only made things worse, but it was true even before.

I would had love to see a Columbia or Nautica Outlet store in that spot than s store that probably wasn't doing well in the First National building

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I would had love to see a Columbia or Nautica Outlet store in that spot than s store that probably wasn't doing well in the First National building
    I feel like this move indicates they were doing alright

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    I'm not sure how often you're downtown but those stores have seemed pretty busy this year, all things considered. There's often a line at the Nike store to get in.