Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default 4100 Block of Woodward Renovation Proposal

I noticed this is the HDC meeting agenda for this week, the owner of the 4100 block of Woodward is planning a complete renovation with a market on the first floor and I believe they intend to eliminate the second floor.

Given the proposal, I would assume this would eliminate the florist, Union Street, and Midtown Liquor.

Name:  Capture2.jpg
Views: 2861
Size:  43.2 KB

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 5928
Size:  73.4 KB

https://detroitmi.gov/government/may...nd-67-w-willis

https://detroitmi.gov/sites/detroitm...N%20PT%201.pdf
    Last edited by JonWylie; February-01-21 at 02:36 PM.

Looks great. I would hope to keep Union Street. I have always enjoyed that place, especially when I lived right around the corner on Willis St. The liquor store has had a lot of issues in the past and I don't think anyone would be sad to see it go.

So that would be a 3rd small/mid size grocer in the area? I guess he could easily convert it back to individual storefronts if he couldn't find a tenant prior to completion.

Is the whole 1st floor planned to be a market, that would be really big. There is already a small market where Spread Deli was on Cass and Willis, and there is another market in the works for the 2-story building on the property of the El Moore Hotel [[according to another HDC meeting minute from July 2020)

In case you haven't been inside it, Union Street has a phenomenal 1930's art deco interior with curvy plaster and stained wood paneling. It would be a travesty to see that gutted!

By the way, the florist left many months ago for a stripmall in Highland Park. You are right, nobody would miss that liquor store except the lower income folks in the area. It seems to attract those folks.

By means of gentrification, the building owner thinks that in a developing business hub on Woodward Ave. The Liquor Store atmosphere has got to go.
    Last edited by Danny; February-03-21 at 12:50 PM.

^ No need for the sketchy liquor store now. Just get all your adult beverages at your friendly local Meijers!

We need a Kroger. Period

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    We need a Kroger. Period
    Why? Kroger sucks and we're getting a new Meijer on Jefferson. I'd like to see an independent grocery here or a Trader Joes.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    Why? Kroger sucks and we're getting a new Meijer on Jefferson. I'd like to see an independent grocery here or a Trader Joes.
    We can't even get a freaking Target in this area for some reason; no way we're getting a Trader Joe's

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Is the whole 1st floor planned to be a market, that would be really big. There is already a small market where Spread Deli was on Cass and Willis, and there is another market in the works for the 2-story building on the property of the El Moore Hotel [[according to another HDC meeting minute from July 2020)

In case you haven't been inside it, Union Street has a phenomenal 1930's art deco interior with curvy plaster and stained wood paneling. It would be a travesty to see that gutted!

By the way, the florist left many months ago for a stripmall in Highland Park. You are right, nobody would miss that liquor store except the lower income folks in the area. It seems to attract those folks.

Per the pdf the Jon Wylie provided it appears that the whole first floor is planned to be the market. It will be a shame to see the Union Street space gutted but it will be providing a much needed service to the community.

You heard it here first!

From looking at the front elevation it appears the second floor would be left intact, not eliminated.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    From looking at the front elevation it appears the second floor would be left intact, not eliminated.
    From the PDF linked above, it sounds like the first story ceiling/second story floor will be completely removed and the grocer will take the entire volume of the building.

The general intent of the project is to completely gut the interior of the building, remove the second floor framing entirely as well as all of the interior masonry walls, and then open up the entire volume of the interior as a white box for a future Grocer Tenant to build-out and occupy. Our current proposal also involves any structural re-framing and re-roofing required to preserve the historic exterior envelope."

Now I get it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    We need a Kroger. Period
    Kroger screwed Detroit again when the left their E. 7 Mile Rd. and Gratiot Ave. Commercial District Area since the mid 2000's. The closest Kroger to Detroit is in W. 8 Mile Rd. and Wyoming Ave. at near R.O.T. Projects.

Kroger is not welcomed in Detroit until they act business together.

Quote Originally Posted by JTburner View Post
    The general intent of the project is to completely gut the interior of the building, remove the second floor framing entirely as well as all of the interior masonry walls, and then open up the entire volume of the interior as a white box for a future Grocer Tenant to build-out and occupy. Our current proposal also involves any structural re-framing and re-roofing required to preserve the historic exterior envelope."
    Is it financially feasible to strip paint from the exterior? I'd be curious to see how the façade would appear with the original masonry colors.

Default Proposal would replace Union Street Detroit restaurant with grocery store

Say it ain’t so! Legendary Union Street restaurant with its classic interior doomed?

“So it seems from this Crains article.

“Developer has plan to turn Woodward building into grocery store

“Tenant has not yet been determined, developer says.”

Recently was home of Union Street restaurant, Grace Harper Florist, liquor store.

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-estate/midtown-building-across-majestic-theatre-be-renovated
    Name:  Union St.png.jpg
Views: 2100
Size:  68.6 KB

This is rehab at its' worst.... total gutting of all of interior, including removal the brick walls separating the different buildings, removal of the 2nd floor [[likely old wooden floors), and especially annihilation of the beautiful historic bar. It's like taking a historic group of buildings and turning it into a big box store. Even the exterior would have no historic look to it... no cornice and painted brick. The only historic look to it at all would be the shape of the 2nd floor windows... period. It would be easier to start from scratch on an empty parcel. This is one project I would not mind falling thru.
    Last edited by Gistok; February-03-21 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KnnNike View Post
    We can't even get a freaking Target in this area for some reason; no way we're getting a Trader Joe's

What does Target have to do with this? Target is likely coming to the SOMA development.

We have two luxury grocery stores in the area [[plum markets) and a Whole Foods, Trader Joes isn't above anything already here.
    Last edited by Satiricalivory; February-03-21 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    What does Target have to do with this? Target is likely coming to the SOMA development.

We have two luxury grocery stores in the area [[plum markets) and a Whole Foods, Trader Joes isn't above anything already here.
    Target has likely been coming to Midtown for years...I'll believe it when I see it in SOMA.

Target has many more locations than Trader Joe's. My point was that I think something as niche as TJ's is wishful thinking. People spend huge parts of their lives lobbying for TJ's to build a store in their area. Meanwhile, we haven't even been able to convince a mass retailer like Target [[or Walmart for that matter) that this city of 670k people is worth their time for even a single store, even in the higher-income neighborhoods.

So I wouldn't hold my breath, is what I'm saying...

Plum market isn't even open right now...and did you ever even go to the one downtown? It wasn't a grocery store, they had about as many groceries as a CVS.

Would the moderator please combine this with the existing thread.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Would the moderator please combine this with the existing thread.
    Whoops....

Quote Originally Posted by KnnNike View Post

Plum market isn't even open right now...and did you ever even go to the one downtown? It wasn't a grocery store, they had about as many groceries as a CVS.
    This is not true, it's a condensed grocery store with some produce and a cafeteria with coffee, bread and prepared food like all their stores. I think you can only get prepackaged meat there though.

Walmart and Target are not some thresholds we have to meet before getting a Trader Joes.

I don't really care much, I just mentioned it as a possibility I prefer non-chain grocery stores anyway.

The rumors are true. Union Street is closing its doors and getting shut out along the liquor store, too.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast