Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default SteelHaus Detroit

New shipping container development, SteelHaus Detroit, underway in Corktown

On Michigan Avenue in Corktown, with Michigan Central Station in sight, a new mixed-use development is underway. Steelhaus Detroit will use shipping containers to build out new retail and residential space

Anybody know if shipping containers are so sturdy that they don't require any additional support in situations like this. That they can be stacked, loaded several high, on ships indicates they can bear a lot of weight.

Dunno. People use them for barns and shops/sheds for farm and yard stuff.

The stacking on ships is usually done in modular form [[think Legos), where stacking so close reinforces each other. If you look at the pictures, it looks like there are structural segments between and around them, but that's probably due to them having the side cut open. I've also seen pictures of some houses done this way.

This made my day. This is great, another mixed-use project in Corktown on Michigan Avenue, taking away another empty lot.

I noticed several months ago the trenches dug out on that property, and I thought that was related to the new restaurant that the Two James Distillery owner are putting into the building adjacent to this new development.

I like that each apartment includes a balcony.

Does anybody have an update on that other shipping container building in midtown that should have started construction?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Anybody know if shipping containers are so sturdy that they don't require any additional support in situations like this. That they can be stacked, loaded several high, on ships indicates they can bear a lot of weight.

I worked on a movie set that was a sort of a condo situation where 6 or 7 containers were assembled in a two story configuration. As far as I know, they need columns when they are in cantilevered positions. The corners are where they ordinarily sit and get their support. Anything more than the usual positioning needs to be anchored in extra.