Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Chinese Restaurant on West 8 Mile

It was a small, kind of non-descript business, but does anyone remember a Chinese restaurant on West 8 Mile between Schaefer and Greenfield back in the 90's? We used to eat there when my dad had us on the weekends, but don't recognize any of that stretch of 8 Mile, anymore.

It's possible it was east of Schaefer, I guess, and my child mind remembers incorrectly. I guess it could have also been west of Greenfield, too. What I do seem to vaguely remember was that it occupied it's own block, and it was stretch width-wise on its block instead of length-wise, so it'd widest face filled the front of the lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    It was a small, kind of non-descript business, but does anyone remember a Chinese restaurant on West 8 Mile between Schaefer and Greenfield back in the 90's? We used to eat there when my dad had us on the weekends, but don't recognize any of that stretch of 8 Mile, anymore.

It's possible it was east of Schaefer, I guess, and my child mind remembers incorrectly. I guess it could have also been west of Greenfield, too. What I do seem to vaguely remember was that it occupied it's own block, and it was stretch width-wise on its block instead of length-wise, so it'd widest face filled the front of the lot.
    Could it be one of the many China One Chinese restaurants in Detroit?

I don't remember it being a chain, but maybe it was. In any case, anyone remember a Chinese restaurant on 8 Mile on the Detroit side between those two streets mentioned in the '90s?

There was a stand alone Chinese Place that I remember but it was way further up 8 mile. I think it was past Livernois almost to Woodward, maybe like a red frame building. I think It was Stanley's or Yee's or something like that. I can picture it in my mind. Right near Schaefer, a Chinese restaurant isn't ringing any bells.

That would be Stanley’s Other Place. There is a photo of the building in this article.

https://8woodblog.com/fate-of-fabled-former-detroit-chinese-restaurant-uncertain/

I seem to remember one further west, Evergreen or Lahser area. Maybe with a pagoda style roof? That would have been '60s, '70s period.

Or the Dynasty fleet [[also known as Die-nasty, not a slur against Asians but re. the decreasing quality of their food over the years!). Though I still like their awesome Crab Rangoons [[from the one on Warren near WSU)!

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Detroiter View Post
    Could it be one of the many China One Chinese restaurants in Detroit?
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-04-21 at 12:09 PM.

None of these are ringing a bell. Perhaps it was on the other side of 8 Mile? Maybe it wasn't on 8 Mile at all? Could have actually been in Oak Park or Southfield or something?

What I do remember is that when you walked in the front door there was a small dining area off to the left and then the glassed in counter right when you came in. Really small, non-descript building a bit set back from the street.

I'll see if my dad remembers. We also used to go to the China One at near Schaefer 7 Mile.

Edit: He definitely remembers it was west of Schaefer and east of the Lodge on the Detroit side. Looking at streetview a lot of things have changed and a lot of things have stayed the same since we last lived in that area, but just enough has changed that I'm having a hard time making out the location.

However, if I had to guess it's the building at 13741 West 8 Mile at Leasure. The city's parcel viewer say this was built in 1954, so though it's been renovated that building has been there for over 65 years. Still not 100% sure, though.
    Last edited by Dexlin; February-05-21 at 12:36 AM.

Still haven't nailed this one down. Little non-descript, stand-alone building, beige-brick, etc.

Stanley's Other Place was near Woodward. I think they are referring to something much further west.

Quote Originally Posted by 48202 View Post
    That would be Stanley’s Other Place. There is a photo of the building in this article.

https://8woodblog.com/fate-of-fabled-former-detroit-chinese-restaurant-uncertain/

Someone in an old restaurant thread here mentions Shangri La on 7 or 8 Mile west of Shaeffer. Could that be it

Quote Originally Posted by 48202 View Post

It closed because of poor service and the food wasn't good anymore, and people stopped coming. A far cry from the original Stanley's off Grand Blvd and Milwaukee.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Someone in an old restaurant thread here mentions Shangri La on 7 or 8 Mile west of Shaeffer. Could that be it
    The only mention I've found on here of a "Shangri-La" is something in Midtown and in West Bloomfield. The place I'm talking about was on 8 Mile, for sure, between the Lodge and Schaefer.

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mess...790/83010.html
    Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 10:14 pm:

Does anyone remember the Shangri-La in northwest Detroit? It wasn't any great Chinese food place but we had some good meals there. I vaguely remember it being between Lahser & Evergreen but fail to remember if it was on Eight or Seven Mile Road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    The only mention I've found on here of a "Shangri-La" is something in Midtown and in West Bloomfield. The place I'm talking about was on 8 Mile, for sure, between the Lodge and Schaefer.

Thanks for pulling that up, jcole. This will help narrow it down.

This seems like something I should have known to have done years ago, but I wrote the Burton Historical Collection at DPL, and they literally got back to me the next day. The restaurant was called Golden China, and it was on the 14600 block of West 8 Mile between Hubbell and Marlowe. They checked some business directory from 1990 and found it. lol

The reason I wasn't able to recognize it on Google streetviews and such is that there is a fairly "newish" building on that block, now. The site is directly across the street from the old Detroit Artillery Armory, which Oak Park has begun to redevelop.
    Last edited by Dexlin; August-26-22 at 05:19 PM.