Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Annual Tax base of homes in Indian Village, HELP!

Can someone please tell me why a house in Indian village has a annual tax base of $14,000 a year? I live on Parker in the Parkhurst and there was a house that was for sell on the street for about $22k, it was gray in color and huge!!! Looked as if it was damaged by a fire. Anyone know of this house? Sorry for not having the address at the moment. It's on Parker between Agness and Lafeyette. Its about 7 bedrooms. The realtor co was Keller and Williams, I belive the house sold, its no longer listed on the site.

Is that the house that Time Inc. just bought to "cover Detroit" from?

http://bella1104.blogspot.com/2009/0...c-detroit.html

You mean why are the taxes $14K per year when it sold for $22K? Because they tax based on the square footage, number of baths, etc. It does not matter what the condition is.

You mean why are the taxes $14K per year when it sold for $22K? Because they tax based on the square footage, number of baths, etc. It does not matter what the condition is.
    ^ That's not true. The $14,000 tax base is based upon many things--mainly the previous value of the neighboring homes.

There is no way the taxes should be that high on any home in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Strathcona View Post
    ^ That's not true. The $14,000 tax base is based upon many things--mainly the previous value of the neighboring homes.
    Yes, that is true, it is based on homes of the same size that sold "normally" Meaning not distressed sales, i.e. foreclosures.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Is that the house that Time Inc. just bought to "cover Detroit" from?

http://bella1104.blogspot.com/2009/0...c-detroit.html

Nope, its right across the street. I'll go take some pics today.

The house you are talking about is "the Alamo" house. That house has been going from bank to owner to bank for over 5 years. The problem was the house was mess and the taxes were something like $17,000 per year. One of the realtors from Keller Williams worked with the banked that owned it and appealed the taxes which brought the property taxes down to something like $1700 a year. The house was taken down to the studs a few years ago by a short term owner who was give bad advice, then the owner lost the home.
    Last I heard they were asking something like $35,000. It could be a cool house, it is a great street.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaulding View Post
    The house you are talking about is "the Alamo" house. That house has been going from bank to owner to bank for over 5 years. The problem was the house was mess and the taxes were something like $17,000 per year. One of the realtors from Keller Williams worked with the banked that owned it and appealed the taxes which brought the property taxes down to something like $1700 a year. The house was taken down to the studs a few years ago by a short term owner who was give bad advice, then the owner lost the home.
    Last I heard they were asking something like $35,000. It could be a cool house, it is a great street.
    What was the bad advice, "buy this home"? Did it burn before or after the rehabber did his thing?

Detroit's tax rate is 78 mils!!! To give you a comparison the CIty of Grosse Pointe's tax rate is approx. 42 mils. There is an equation derived from the home's SEV and most of Indian Village's values are based on the high values from a few years ago. What is sad is that the residents of the city put up with the taxes and receive absolutely nothing for their money!

Last poster is clueless.....

Detroit's mill rate is 64 mills for 2009 and the Detroit' NEZ rate [[about 40 neighborhoods out of 125) is 50[[county and city) mills [[Indian Village included). Grosse Pointe City is 43.7[[city only + 7.8 for county) for 2008.

SEV's and taxable values in Detroit are usually about 1/3 to 1/2 of a similiar square footage/year built home in the 'burbs and are declining.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/tr...79573_7.pdf008

I live in a brick 2,700 sq ft home in a Detroit NEZ neighborhood and pay about $4,400 per year in city/county property tax.

Find me this home in GPP or Pleasant Ridge with only a $4,400 tax bill?

similiar home in GPP taxable value 150,000-200,000 X 43mill+7 mills= 7500-10,000

Let's compare apples to apples......

Parker is in West Village not IV.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaulding View Post
    Right, Keller and Williams still has the tax listed at $14k, I didn't see anything about $1700?????, I was hoping it was a typo to say the least. What happend? Did a fire take place? it's really a sore thumb on that block. Seems to me that Time Warner would have been better off purchasing this home instead of the one accross the street.

2blocksaway Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 7051 View Post

That's not fair.

You may have more house for your tax $$$ but you have less of everything you actually pay taxes for.

There are thousands of little bungalows in the city with an SEV of 45,000 +. Where the taxes are near $4000 a year. Which is way too much for a house you can buy for less than $10,000.

You, personally may have a reasonable tax bill but most Detroiters don't.

7051, as a Detroiter I agree with 2blocksaway. You're not comparing apples to apples. You're comparing a rotten apple found in the cellar to one picked fresh off the tree today.

When I am wrong I admit it, the 78 mills was based on non-homestead according to a broker friend of mine but after looking up the actual rate in Detroit it turns out to be 67 mills which is still way to high!

Quote Originally Posted by 7051 View Post
    Last poster is clueless.....

Detroit's mill rate is 64 mills for 2009 and the Detroit' NEZ rate [[about 40 neighborhoods out of 125) is 50[[county and city) mills [[Indian Village included). Grosse Pointe City is 43.7[[city only + 7.8 for county) for 2008.

SEV's and taxable values in Detroit are usually about 1/3 to 1/2 of a similiar square footage/year built home in the 'burbs and are declining.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/tr...79573_7.pdf008

I live in a brick 2,700 sq ft home in a Detroit NEZ neighborhood and pay about $4,400 per year in city/county property tax.

Find me this home in GPP or Pleasant Ridge with only a $4,400 tax bill?

similiar home in GPP taxable value 150,000-200,000 X 43mill+7 mills= 7500-10,000