Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Gratiot & Connor lost streets or subdivision?

South east corner next to the Ivan Doverspike building. Looks like some streets and possibly remains of a house. Looks to be entirely cut off from any main roads. Whats the story?

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    South east corner next to the Ivan Doverspike building. Looks like some streets and possibly remains of a house. Looks to be entirely cut off from any main roads. Whats the story?
    It's actually near the southwest corner of Gratiot & Conner. The little streets are the remains of a trailer park that was on that site into the '90s. It was also the site of this interesting bit of Detroit transit history:
    https://www.detroityes.com/mb/showth...urban-Terminal
    Last edited by EastsideAl; January-29-21 at 01:22 PM.

There was a trailer park there in the 1970's
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by dodgemain View Post
    There was a trailer park there in the 1970's
    Beyond the 70's, well into the 90's I think.

As far as that trailer park goes, if I remember correctly the owner or management company ran up a huge unpaid water bill.

Thats the spot! Thanks! Looks like you'd need a tank to venture into there now.

Sigh. When I first saw this post, I thought it might have referred to some of my old days at the 15th Precinct station at Gratiot and Connor. And, hey, I was a west-sider and totally confused at the way the streets ran in that section of town.

That's right behind where 15 was til they tore it down and built a CVS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Sigh. When I first saw this post, I thought it might have referred to some of my old days at the 15th Precinct station at Gratiot and Connor. And, hey, I was a west-sider and totally confused at the way the streets ran in that section of town.

That was the Airport Trailer Coach Park. I see it listed in phone books as far back as 1947. Occupies land adjacent to the former Rapid Railway interurban terminal. Not sure if the ruins of that are still there.

City tax records used to show the space between the trailer park and Conner belonging to the Michigan national guard. Not sure what they used it for.

Aerial photo from 1981:

Name:  1981.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  183.9 KB

From I-94 to Gratiot the west side of Conner used to [[and still does) have a lot of empty green space along that side. This was the planned route of the never built extension of the Davison Fwy.

The Davison Fwy. was to follow Davison Ave. over to McNichols and loop around the north and east side of the Airport [[along Conner) to connect the end of the freeway to I-94, which explains the unusual width of the Conner I-94 interchange. But it was never built.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Co...!4d-82.9928248

Default DPD On The Way

I am waiting for Ray's comments on DPD On The Way.