Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default GM going all EV by 2035

Can Ford, Stellanits, Honda, Toyota, Nissan be far behind? Looks like huge changes are coming. They don’t do anything for me [[at this point) but I’m a fossil, my opinion doesn’t count.

So far Tesla has their EV cars.

Since gas station margins are so tight I would think the price of gas would increase with less gas vehicles on the road and less stations each year. This would further speed the switch to ev. Of course gas powered cars won't disappear overnight but I worry about all the independent repair shops who won't have the money or training to fix ev's. I'm sure a few large chains like Goodyear, Firestone, etc. will still compete with dealerships for that business.

Obummer pushed for this and it was a disaster with battery company’s.

All this does is cause irreversible pollution from mining and put americans on dependency to foreign countries for lithium.

We are already the cleanest nation and this does nothing for global pollution with China India and Russia all businesses as usual!

https://money.cnn.com/2012/10/22/new...ies/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Obummer pushed for this and it was a disaster with battery company’s.

All this does is cause irreversible pollution from mining and put americans on dependency to foreign countries for lithium.

We are already the cleanest nation and this does nothing for global pollution with China India and Russia all businesses as usual!

https://money.cnn.com/2012/10/22/new...ies/index.html
    That link doesn't provide any proof of what you said.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    One can pretty much discount anything from anyone starting a post with the term “Obummer.”

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    One can pretty much discount anything from anyone starting a post with the term “Obummer.”
    Been a while since I saw that term. Glad to see we're back blaming the executive branch for things like this, feels like it's been what, four years?

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    I guess you chose not to read the first sentence of the post! I said that Clown OBUMMER tried to push this and the government lost billions!

Just like calling someone Orange Man right lefty? I love the hypocrisy of the left!

Yes, big changes are in the works!

Just like calling someone Orange Man right lefty? I love the hypocrisy of the left!
    I’ve actually never used that term. But if the manly makeup fits, use it. Have a nice trip to DC on the 6th?

Uncanny how this thread went political. Sigh.

That aside, considering the electric vehicles have a maximum range of, say, 200, 250 miles, how will I be able to drive from my adopted home here in Las Vegas back to Detroit [[which I do once a year) without stopping for lengthy re-charges? Bad enough having to stop for gas, which I do when I grab a quick burger and keep on chugging.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post

That aside, considering the electric vehicles have a maximum range of, say, 200, 250 miles, how will I be able to drive from my adopted home here in Las Vegas back to Detroit [[which I do once a year) without stopping for lengthy re-charges? Bad enough having to stop for gas, which I do when I grab a quick burger and keep on chugging.
    I’d imagine that the charging technology might really develop more rapidly than we suspect. There’s already a world of difference between Level 1, Level 2 and fast charging. We had a electric BMW i3 but the lease was up and we couldn’t find a suitable replacement electric car. Was really fun to drive. And I charged it free at work.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; January-29-21 at 04:27 PM.

I’d imagine that the charging technology might really develop more rapidly than we suspect. There’s already a world of difference between Level 1, Level 2 and fast charging. We had a electric BMW i3 but the lease was up and we couldn’t find a suitable replacement electric car. Was really fun to drive. And I charged it free at work.
    Your imagination won’t buy you a coffee when your battery is dead,

Would you be willing to share with the forum the results of a standard IQ test that measures your intelligence? I won't share what I think what percentile you'd show up in.....

They're coming Ray and you can't stop them! I didn't read all of this article but noticed the Hyundai will have a range of 300 miles and charge to 80% in 18 minutes. You stop for coffee, right?
    https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...4/future-cars/
    Last edited by 401don; January-29-21 at 08:05 PM.

Even the GMC Hummer is claiming their 2021 SUV or Pickup will have a 400 mile range. I think the drop in charging time is the main thing going forward. Many manufacturers are claiming 80% recharge in 18-20 minutes. That’s pretty amazing.
    Think cell phone technology, that’s how this is starting to move.

The feds are developing alternative fuel corridors to encourage long distance travel and help overcome range anxiety.
    https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment...uel_corridors/

The state is working with MSU to locate charging stations to promote tourism.
    https://www.michigan.gov/climateande...7840--,00.html

EVs will also affect manufacturing here--fewer parts and more modular construction. Certainly will change supply chains here.

How does it feel to live in the 1950’s?

EV’s are fine right now for a go to work and go home vehicle. Or a drive around the town grocery getter. Even for a simple weekend trip up to Traverse City from the Detroit area, they would seem to be impractical at this point.

Big whoop. Make an affordable automobile [[as in not a truck or SUV) someone long legged can comfortably drive. Otherwise, stfu!

Quote Originally Posted by Mind field View Post
    Would you be willing to share with the forum the results of a standard IQ test that measures your intelligence? I won't share what I think what percentile you'd show up in.....
    Your superiority is only outdone by your lack of intelligence!

Were you part of MKUltra?

I don't drive far or often so I was considering going electric. It would be so much easier to charge it in the garage than to visit gas stations. Then I remembered that this is Michigan and it gets cold. Batteries and cold don't mix well.

Are there auxiliary heaters for these cars?

I feel this is kinda a publicity stunt so people leave them alone and they appear green. Especially during these times. Kinda like a “we’re on it”
    I like the technology but I also like a nice V8 growl.

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    I feel this is kinda a publicity stunt so people leave them alone and they appear green. Especially during these times. Kinda like a “we’re on it”
    I like the technology but I also like a nice V8 growl.
    If Lowell had a "Like" button on DYes, I'd click it for this one!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast