Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Henry Ford, MSU sign affiliation deal to offer joint research, clinical, education pr

This seems to be going under the radar but this is amazing news. MSU will partner with Henry Ford Health and build a medical research institute in Detroit. More high paying recession proof jobs for the city in addition to the UofM innovation center.

Henry Ford Health System in Detroit and Michigan State University in East Lansing today signed a final primary affiliation agreement to conduct joint research and clinical care, collaborate more on health student education and develop a long-term plan to build a research institute and a regional health campus in Detroit.

While the agreement does not include specific building plans or costs for a new joint research institute or regional campus building for MSU, top leaders for the two partners said they will finalize plans in the near future to construct the new facilities that would be built on the Henry Ford campus in Midtown within three to five years.
    https://www.crainsdetroit.com/health...ical-education

Except for those of us here at WSU who are shaking our heads at how badly our BoG screwed us over. I'm an outsider in many ways, as a faculty member but not involved with the medical school. Wayne State has had a "lock" on Detroit and its institutions for so many years, and now a failure to capitalize on that is seeing us losing significant ground to U of M, MSU, even freaking Central Michigan in the middle of nowhere.

Will Michigan State offer complete degree programs in the medical and health sciences in Detroit? Many cities have benefited from substantial growth of the eds, meds sector. Detroit appears to be seeing a considerable growth of that sector.

Quote Originally Posted by KnnNike View Post
    Except for those of us here at WSU who are shaking our heads at how badly our BoG screwed us over. I'm an outsider in many ways, as a faculty member but not involved with the medical school. Wayne State has had a "lock" on Detroit and its institutions for so many years, and now a failure to capitalize on that is seeing us losing significant ground to U of M, MSU, even freaking Central Michigan in the middle of nowhere.
    One of Detroit's greatest weaknesses is that it only has one research university within its borders. Other Michigan universities growing their presence in Detroit is a good thing. I hope one day a second major research university can be founded in the city.

There's some indication now that this will include a full blown medical school in Detroit. https://www.crainsdetroit.com/health...campus-detroit

Henry Ford Health System's months-old 30-year affiliation with Michigan State University could lead to construction of a medical school in Midtown Detroit...

Henry Ford Health System CEO Wright Lassiter III, who laid out some of his vision this week for establishing a research-intensive medical school in Midtown...

"I have a strong desire to increase the production of medical students in the state of Michigan and I'd like to bring a new medical school into the city of Detroit," Lassiter said Tuesday night during a dinner of business executives at the Mackinac Policy Conference...

Lassiter said he's eyeing an area between West Grand Boulevard in New Center stretching south to 1 Ford Place — the headquarters for HFHS — to construct a medical school in partnership with MSU.

This is great, great news. We need to diversify our economy, and make our economy more robust. A medical school would be spectacular, but doesn't MSU already have a medical school in Grand Rapids?

since i've got photoshop open when reading what space they're eyeballing, had a daydream:
    Name:  center.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  139.5 KB
    • Building the medical school across from 1 Ford Pl.
    • School is built over the Amtrak tracks for North access off W Baltimore, and a potential direct connection to the new train platform they're planning there
    • High rise for student/faculty housing and provisions [[and additional parking if necessary) on long block between Ford Pl. & Amsterdam
    • End cap park over the Lodge and reconnecting Holden Street to provide another route between HFH and catalyzing residential development in the Holden/Lincoln area

Henry Ford Health System plans to break ground on its joint research institute with Michigan State University in the next 18 months.

The new 300,000- to 400,000-square-foot building will be located south of the health system's Detroit campus on West Grand Boulevard and will house researchers and physicians on translational research — specifically looking at cancer, neuroscience, women's health, imaging and public health.
    Simultaneously, the health system will launch a four-year medical school in Detroit. HFHS physicians and nurses will act as faculty in the program that will house upward of 25 students in human medicine and another 50 in osteopathic medicine, Kalkanis said.

Henry Ford and Michigan State University will be bringing millions of dollars to the city of Detroit, along with a premier medical school and will push Henry Ford further to separate itself and become the premier academic medical institution in metropolitan detroit.

This is huge news, and quite likely more important for the city than Univ of Michigan’s downtown innovation center. notwithstanding my bias from my username

I don't see how this is bigger for the city. It's one third the investment the innovation center is.

Still great though, another win for the city.

Just for comparison to get an idea what the site might look like:
    MSU Grand Rapids Research Center - 162,000 sq ft - $88 million - 6 stories

MSU Doug Meijer Medical Innovation Building - 200,000 sq ft - $85 million - 7 stories

Proposed MSU/HF Detroit - 300,000 - 400,000 sq ft - $100 - $150 million

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    I don't see how this is bigger for the city. It's one third the investment the innovation center is.

Still great though, another win for the city.
    I feel like, in general, medical schools are seen as super stable investments that help bring young people with high earnings to the city, while also providing a valuable medical service to the community. The innovation center will probably do that also, but adding another medical school to the city is undeniably great.

This is wonderful news. As a proud MSU alum I'm happy to hear about continued investment by the university into the city.

PS - the bleed green part of me hopes there is a big ol' MSU logo easily visible from the lodge.

Quote Originally Posted by kuuma View Post
    since i've got photoshop open when reading what space they're eyeballing, had a daydream:
    • Building the medical school across from 1 Ford Pl.
    • School is built over the Amtrak tracks for North access off W Baltimore, and a potential direct connection to the new train platform they're planning there
    • High rise for student/faculty housing and provisions [[and additional parking if necessary) on long block between Ford Pl. & Amsterdam
    • End cap park over the Lodge and reconnecting Holden Street to provide another route between HFH and catalyzing residential development in the Holden/Lincoln area
    I like your enthusiasm, but med students work and learn within the hospital, thus this will likely be built directly east of the new Cancer Pavilion for pedestrian access or through the pedestrian bridge over the blvd.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    I like your enthusiasm, but med students work and learn within the hospital, thus this will likely be built directly east of the new Cancer Pavilion for pedestrian access or through the pedestrian bridge over the blvd.
    good point. fortunately for them there's no shortage of sprawling multi-acre surface parking lots in the area for them to build on.

still love that area for a potential freeway cover park to reconnect that district, and for all they could do to make the new train station there well integrated..

Pretty vague article that was posted recently about HFHS planning on investing $4.2 billion in the surrounding area.

https://www.dbusiness.com/daily-news/exclusive-henry-ford-health-system-and-partners-investing-4-2b-to-transform-detroit-neighborhood/