Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default British/Import Car Parts on E. McNichols

Jackie5275's post about spumoni ice cream on the Alinosi thread reminded me of two purposeful trips down to E. McNichols in 1981. One was to pick up a tub of spumoni ice cream for my employer, as I commented in a reply to Jackie.

The other was to a British/import car dealership or parts store somewhere along the E. McNichols corridor, although I can't recall exactly where it was located. I had traveled about an hour from my home to pick up a hood for a 1970-something MGB. When I arrived, I entered through a side door inside the gates of the business. The salesman said it would take a few minutes to load the hood into the bed of my truck. In my late teens and from a relatively small town, I was fascinated by the city. So... of course, I headed for the front door to take a look around.

The salesman saw me heading for the door and said, "are you thinking about going outside?" "Yes," I said. Realizing I was not familiar with the area, his response was short and to the point: "Don't." I'll never forget how emphatic he was that I remain inside the business.

Anyway, it made me wonder if anyone on here recalls such a business? It would be interesting to know where it was.

I know who are talking about, but I cannot recall the name. The shop was on the the South side of the street between Schoenherr and Waltham. It was an Italian name followed by "Brothers". My brother and I had our Triumphs serviced there because Lang's on Morang was too expensive and most of the local shops would not touch any foreign cars at that time - mid 1970's. They did both mechanical and body work. They were skillful, fair, and honest. It's too bad my brother is not around anymore to ask. He might have remembered the name. I left Detroit in October 1981 and they were still there.
    Last edited by 13606Cedargrove; January-26-21 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 13606Cedargrove View Post
    I know who are talking about, but I cannot recall the name. The shop was on the the South side of the street between Schoenherr and Waltham. It was an Italian name followed by "Brothers". My brother and I had our Triumphs serviced there because Lang's on Morang was too expensive and most of the local shops would not touch any foreign cars at that time - mid 1970's. They did both mechanical and body work. They were skillful, fair, and honest. It's too bad my brother is not around anymore to ask. He might have remembered the name. I left Detroit in October 1981 and they were still there.
    Thanks again, Cedar. This would have been early Summer of ‘81, and oddly enough, I do recall it being on the left, or South side as I was approaching. But, it’s been 40 years, and I wasn’t sure about the accuracy of my memory. I probably wouldn’t remember it at all if it wasn’t for the salesman’s reaction when I was headed outside.

My brother and I had our Triumphs serviced there
    Oh, and I had the MGB, but my brother had a Triumph Spitfire.

I had a '72 GT6 and my brother had a '71 Spitfire. When I left Detroit, I drove a TR-7 roadster out West. I am looking around for an MG out here in Orange County, but the prices are high - like everything else!

I had a '72 GT6 and my brother had a '71 Spitfire. When I left Detroit, I drove a TR-7 roadster out West. I am looking around for an MG out here in Orange County, but the prices are high - like everything else!
    I had a TR6 it was a 72 or 73, maybe a 74, dark blue. Complete and utter piece of crap. Just about the worst car on the face of this earth. There was a foreign car service place called Keith’s on Schaefer just South of 7 mile across from what was United Hebrew School. It’s still there, last time I looked they were working on Volvos.

I bought a MG Midget new in 1976, British racing green, black top. It was around $3,500. I wanted the Spitfire but it was more then I could afford then. Very, very, very small inside. Kept it 3 years. Looked nice but it was always in the shop for something. Got it at the MG dealer on 9 Mile & Woodward.Name:  1976_MG_Midget_1500_Green_Mike_Pummell_000.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  27.0 KB

Ah yes, Merrie Olde England - land of mild winters, cool summers, no road salt and country lanes rather than freeways. The natural habitat of the sports roadster. Our cars were quite dependable, but required constant attention to keep them that way. Giving them the winter off and resorting to a beater 5 months a year did not hurt, either. The life cycle was typically an original owner who kept the cars in good nick, but sold cheap after a couple of years of frustration - repairs, size, leaky hoods, or the need for a back seat. Then the cars started falling into the hands of those who stored them outdoors, and could not, or would not, keep them up. It a shame, really, because the cars were not that hard to work on, and the basic drivetrains were not bad. The suspensions, electrics and the accessories were another story. They rarely lasted through the fourth or fifth owner - about 5 years, maybe more. You are also dealing with vehicles, particularly Midgets, Sprites and Spitfires, built for a price and designed with one foot in the auto world and another foot in the motorcycle world. The motorcycle foot being the Lucas electrics with their picky connections and the lack of any anti-corrosion provisions for the bodies. That's why you look for dry-climate cars originally sold in the Southwest. When they were right, they were honest cars and a blast to drive. I miss mine.

Looking at a directory from 1967, there was a "Brothers Auto Service" at 12300 E McNichols, corner of Dresden, but it looks like nothing more than a service station.

Name:  12300 McNichols.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  71.0 KB

A couple of blocks down at 12530 was B & B Transmission.

Name:  12530 McNichols.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  75.2 KB

Either one look familiar?

Both buildings look familiar. The gas station is definitely not the building. Perhaps the transmission shop. But I checked on Google Maps, and I believe the spot now occupied by VW Auto on Joann and McNichols [["Six Mile" as we called it!) is a more likely candidate. I remember it as a good size place.

This thread reminds me of my favorite bumper sticker of all times, seen behind the counter of Frog Auto Parts on W. Warren in Warrendale:

"The parts falling off this car are of the finest British quality"

Why do the English drink warm beer?
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    Because they have Lucas refrigerators!
    [[Rim shot)

Both buildings look familiar. The gas station is definitely not the building. Perhaps the transmission shop. But I checked on Google Maps, and I believe the spot now occupied by VW Auto on Joann and McNichols [["Six Mile" as we called it!) is a more likely candidate. I remember it as a good size place.
    On the corner, at 13140 was John E Leonard's Garage. Adjacent to it at 13130 was the Taylor Tom Buick bumper shop. 1967 info.

Name:  Screenshot 2021-02-02 at 101733b.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  46.5 KB

Why do the English drink warm beer?
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    Because they have Lucas refrigerators!
    [[Rim shot)

Lucas Prince of Darkness

The Stables was a British/sports car place but I believe it was on west six mile.

Quote Originally Posted by pkbroch View Post
    The Stables was a British/sports car place but I believe it was on west six mile.
    It’s possible, pkbroch. I thought it was on the East side, but it was 40 years ago, and I was only there once.

Very occasionally on a cruise event you'll see a 1970's MG or Triumph. Survivors are few and far between. When you talk to the owners they usually have interesting stories about those vehicles.