Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How was your Covid Vaccine Experience?

Since we will be getting our vaccines soon, if not already, I thought it would be interesting to share our experiences and notes.

Nine days ago I received my first round [Pfizer]. The second is scheduled for Feb. 4. It had no effect on me and only when I pressed on the injection spot for the next two days I could feel any minor pain.

A doctor of mine who has had both shots said he likewise had no effects from the first round, but did have a couple days of minor headache and even a bit of fever from the second. He conjectured that it indicated the vaccine was working, in that it was reacting to the appearance of the second shot elements. I heard a similar story from another person.

In an interview Dr. Fauci, who had the Moderna Vaccine, similarly said he had no effects in the first round, but had a couple of days of minor effects after the second.

How about you? Which Vaccine did you get? How did it go?

Moderna, first dose yesterday. Mild ache at the injection site today.

This was run by Macomb County in the Michigan DHHS complex about a mile south of Hall & Card Rds.

The worst part of it was waiting a few minutes outdoors in the cold before they let folks enter the building. I'm sure the building has a reduced occupancy limit. They won't admit anyone more than 30 minutes before their appointment. There was also a 15-minute wait in a large outdoor tent afterwards to watch for any adverse reactions.

One woman who seemed to have some authority was shepherding the vaccine, one vial at a time [[for careful tracking of the precious stuff), among vaccination tables. She was sincerely interested in the problem I encountered with their website.

The event was masterfully choreographed with clear signage and helpful ushers everywhere. All precautions were taken. There was a very large unused room set up with pedestrian pylons as if they were preparing for a much larger crowd. I'd bet that has something to do with this video:

Macomb County Executive Mark Hackel reaches out to President Biden for more Covid-19 vaccines

^^Lowell, I can't speak for myself, but I'm very happy to report a close relative got his first shot [[also Pfizer), the same day as you. He's complained of no side effects.

He has no idea how he got so lucky as to have been selected so fast. His wife, two years younger, is still waiting.

With all the vaccine shortages and stories about appointments for 2nd vaccinations getting cancelled in other states, I'll be very relieved if/when it goes as planned and he gets his [[and you yours) on Feb. 4.

That's in Wayne County.

Another close relative in Florida approximately the same age has done everything he can to try to get an appointment-- call, use an app, go to hospitals and pharmacies in person, speak with his primary physician -- and no one thus far has been able to give him any information when or how he can. He's at much higher risk because of previous serious health problems.

It will be great when vaccines are available for everyone and enough of us get them so life can go back to normal.
    Last edited by bust; January-23-21 at 05:05 PM.

A close relative of mine received two Pfizer vaccines. The second vaccine brought on chills; described as "eight blankets didn't keep me warm". That lasted part of one day. The next day, everything was back to normal.

I received my first dose of the vaccine [[Pfizer) last Friday morning at Beaumont Dearborn. It was well organized and I felt very safe. My arm hurt a little bit on Friday, and I had a minor upset stomach Friday evening. By Saturday, I felt fine, with very little pain in my arm.

I got my two at work. The 1st was the first week of January. The 2nd was yesterday. Just some soreness at the injection site, but I've heard from a couple of people who got their second one yesterday who have a headache today.

FWIW, this was included in the fact sheet that came with the Moderna vaccine:

The Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine contains the following ingredients: messenger ribonucleic acid [[mRNA), lipids [[SM-102, polyethylene glycol [PEG] 2000 dimyristoyl glycerol [DMG], cholesterol, and 1,2-distearoyl-sn-glycero-3-phosphocholine [DSPC]), tromethamine, tromethamine hydrochloride, acetic acid, sodium acetate, and sucrose.
    Last edited by Jimaz; January-28-21 at 09:10 PM.

Moderna, both the wife and I, in North Las Vegas. Extremely well organized. Had an appointment, and even though a bit early, were whisked right through the process. They make you wait ten minutes after the shot before leaving to insure your immediate well-being, and give you a timer to hold. A-1 organized!

Received Pfizer number two today at 11AM at Henry Ford downtown, where I did the first one. Very well organized, the parking lot is immediately off the Lodge at the Pallister exit. In and out in a half hour including the 15 minute post shot wait.

I felt a little spacey for a couple of hours but so far, eight hours later, knock wood, no other effects. I did get the second shot in the other shoulder after reading an account by a medical person who speculated the effects they got, fever-chills, headache, might have been due to having the shot in the same shoulder and the antibodies from the first shot being in waiting.

Seemed a bit like hokum to me but, what the heck, why not try it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    ... Seemed a bit like hokum to me but, what the heck, why not try it?
    Yeah, can't hurt.

In my case, for the first shot, the nurse [[who was left handed) asked if I was right or left handed. I'm right handed so she gave the shot in the left arm. I guess that's a reasonable precaution. Can't hurt.

Another weird observation: In the post-jab waiting tent there were overhead lights, one of which was a rotating color Christmas tree spotlight. Maybe just to cheer things up?

There was also one worker whose only job was to sanitize the chairs as people left.

When this is all over I hope someone makes a documentary about the vaccine manufacturing process. That would be fascinating. My dose had a seven-digit alphanumeric lot number so we know it wasn't all cooked up in one giant vat.

I recall some anti-vaxxers objecting to mercury being used as a preservative in older vaccines. I checked the chemical formulae of the Moderna ingredients listed above for the mercury symbol [[Hg). It did not appear anywhere. A pharmacist friend confirmed "I believe all vaccines have now removed Hg based preservatives."
    Last edited by Jimaz; February-04-21 at 09:16 PM.

28 hours later after shot number two and no effects. Tenderness in the shoulder injection site is also diminished.

Brother is a physician in Denver. Received second dose of Pfizer mid-January. He said second dose "definitely makes you feel like shit" and had redness at injection site for a few days.

Now I'm hearing that elsewhere in the country there are concerns whether a second dose will be available for those who have already received the first.

I don't think that's a problem in Macomb County because they made second-dose appointments when the first dose was administered. First-dose appointments were limited to avoid making more appointments than there were doses available.

Got the first Moderna jab 1/29/21. By appointment. Was the only one there. 5 nice ladies were on hand. Got the jab in left arm. Spent next 15 minutes yakking away the the staff. Next day it felt like some one gave me a Hertz Doughnut on that arm. Went away totally on day 3.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; February-07-21 at 10:06 AM.

Got my first one Sunday morning. -38 wind chill and I drove about 35 miles but everything went smooth. Later in the day I thought maybe I’d celebrate with a glass of wine but wondered if that was wise. I decided to google it. I had to laugh because I think I typed in about six characters and it came right up. Just for the record they say it’s not a problem, but you might not want to drink too much because you might misconstrue it with bad side effects.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Got my first one Sunday morning. -38 wind chill and I drove about 35 miles but everything went smooth. Later in the day I thought maybe I’d celebrate with a glass of wine but wondered if that was wise. I decided to google it. I had to laugh because I think I typed in about six characters and it came right up. Just for the record they say it’s not a problem, but you might not want to drink too much because you might misconstrue it with bad side effects.
    Yeah, I had a glass of red after getting back home from my shot. But, then, the outside temperature was 71 f. and really made for a pleasant afternoon.

And some folks still ask why in God's name did I ever have any desire to move to southern Nevada. Sigh.

One of my elderly MI loved ones has received both shots. Another is due for the second one next week. No bad reactions.

The one still waiting managed to get an appointment at Meijer after a friend who has a daughter who works there shared the time they're made available. Outside of then, for only a few minutes, it seems to be impossible. I'd share it but I didn't ask, and don't think I should anyway. I suggest trying to find out for yourself if you can.

My Florida loved one finally got a first shot. Needed to install an app from his hospital network [[and help setting it up), finally got lucky checking for an appointment, found a brief early morning window when they became available, aimed for the earliest least desirable among them [[very early), and managed to snag it before someone else did.

I'm relieved for all of them, but I know others still trying. What a joke it's way easier to win a free promo LP as the Nth caller into CJAM.

Can't wait for us younguns [[not so young) to get ours.
    Last edited by bust; February-13-21 at 06:50 PM.

Second Moderna dose today. It was a deja vu experience except for no waiting at all. Even had the same nurse. That large overflow room was still there, roped off, unused, waiting for a larger crowd. I'm grateful I didn't have to wait in a line that long.

Too early to judge about any side effects. Nurse said to expect lethargy.

On the way there I heard on the radio that the first dose does so well that the second only gives about 2% more effectiveness. LOL! Whatever.

Edit: There was a point where they routed patients depending on whether they were to receive Pfizer vs. Moderna vaccines so apparently Pfizer is also available in Macomb County.
    Last edited by Jimaz; February-19-21 at 10:13 PM.

28 hours after the second Moderna shot. Injection site ache and lethargy have both subsided. It was not at all difficult to tolerate.

Just had my first at Rite Aid; Moderna. Arm is mildly sore and looks swollen to me but no allergic reaction affecting breathing or anything. Very minimal wait. Actually had a 3pm appt and was out sitting in a chair at 3 after the shot.

Had my first vaccine yesterday at Meijer's Roseville [[Maderna)... I felt like I was in a herd of Wildebeasts with walkers!!

I had a little bit of light headedness at first, and I was tired last night and slept about 10 hours... woke up today [[beautiful day of 52 degrees) and went for a nice bike ride... feeling fine still and I can't tell I even had the vaccine... no arm ache either.

The experts have been saying it's a good sign if you swell, ache, feel tired, ache etc. after the vaccination. It means your immune system is heartily responding. You may generate more antibodies as a result.

Here is the worst reaction I've heard. This is long, via a Facebook post from a friend in Oakland CA.

My head hurt. My muscles ached. No place on my body was pain-free. My fever spiked at 104o F and plateaued at 102 for hours. Yesterday afternoon Michael and I received our 2nd Moderna vaccination. The first shot made Michael ill, symptoms much like what I’m experiencing today. For me, that 1st jab actually seemed to make me more energetic. It made me feel terrific. However, yesterday’s 2nd jab has made me feel like crap. I slept for 15 hours straight: 11 in bed with Charley [cat] and 4 on the sofa with Halima [cat] perched on my side.

I had not expected any problems with the 2nd jab, but Michael, based on his first shot, anticipated getting sick. I dressed for my Covid-19 vaccination: Italian leather boots; tight-fitting black silk crepe slacks; a royal blue short-sleeve turtleneck; a multi-hue, patterned velvet jacket; and, brightly-colored sliced nut necklace and bracelet. JM and I hoped to celebrate our 2nd shots at a neighborhood restaurant, but none were open. Outdoor dining areas had neither people nor furniture.

We bought a half-dozens bagel, took them home, toasted two, slathered them with cream cheese, scattered them with smoked salmon, thin slices of red onion and Sicilian capers. My mind was ready to celebrate. My body had another idea.

After arriving at home, in a very short order, l became hot and achy, totally lacking in motivation. Today I slept more than I recall ever having slept before. [[Well, maybe in college at the end of a semester, crashing after sleepless nights cramming for finals.) I’ve walked virtually no steps and when I go up off of the sofa at 3PM, I headed back to bed and remained there until Oskar [cat] woke me from a sound sleep at 5PM.

I slept for 17 hours straight, hurt for all of those hours. I read no word all day. I ate not a bite until 6PM. An entire day of feeling like sh**, even as I slept. It is a first for me. I was fooled by the 1st jab. For the past 24 hours my immune system has been doing its thing. Based on my reaction, Covid-19 is a very bad pathogen. Hopefully the vaccination will protect me from the full-blown virus. Better a fever and aches and pains from it now than death later.

After yesterday's vaccine I had a very fitful nights sleep and woke today to a moderately sore injection site and a headache. Much better than some of my flu shots over the years when I've run fevers and had injection sites that looked like this:
    Name:  injection site.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  10.4 KB
    Last edited by jcole; February-28-21 at 09:56 AM.

Got the second jab Friday. No after effects that I noticed. In fact the arm is not as sore as the first jab.

The only thing is this nurse flattened my arm first then jabbed me high in the Deltoid towards the shoulder. This one electrified my whole upper arm and top of shoulder from the moment she jabbed till she took it out. Wasn't like the first one which was basically pain free.

I noticed when I sat down it was a different needle and syringe. the first setup was long narrow and thin. This one just like this.https://cdnimg.webstaurantstore.com/...3134/48957.jpg

A damn meat syringe. The needle was as long as the body. The first time, I thanked the kind lady when she was done. This time the thought crossed my mind but I said to myself WTF!! Was grateful when she removed the needle. The weird pain stopped immediately.

I hope all this was worth it.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; February-28-21 at 09:01 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast