Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Gillet Street / Ave. Detroit Mi.

Found my father's 1940 WWII draft registration. It indicates that he worked at 1551 Gillet, Detroit, Wayne County Michigan. Current Google search doesn't show a Gillet in Detroit. So - a little help here please. Where was 1551 Gillet, and what business was located there? Thanks.

In a Google Book called Paper Matcher, 1993, it says Gillett Waste Material is at 1551 Gillet in Detroit. Google maps has it on Roselawn since 1993

Gillett was a short street that ran one and a half blocks east from Greeley, dead ending at the Grand Trunk tracks. This would have been one block south of Holbrook and one block east of where I-75 is now. None of these streets still exist there today [[although Greeley does run from 6 Mile to 8 Mile further north). The area is all part of AAM's complex.

Here is clip from Hornwrecker's 1930s map showing the location of Gillett. I-75 [[Chrysler Fwy.) runs now where Russell is on this map. 1551 Gillett appears to have been a junk/salvage business for many years. It shows in 1920s and 30s city directories as the junk business of one Morris Sweet, and shows on the 1950 Sanborn map as a "waste paper warehouse".

Name:  gillett st.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  115.0 KB
    Last edited by EastsideAl; January-23-21 at 02:35 PM.

There is a short bit of Greely that runs north from Hague in what looks like AAM property
    Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Gillett was a short street that ran one and a half blocks east from Greeley, dead ending at the Grand Trunk tracks. This would have been one block south of Holbrook and one block east of where I-75 is now. None of these streets still exist there today [[although Greeley does run from 6 Mile to 8 Mile further north). The area is all part of AAM's complex.

Yes, above I said that Gillett Waste was at 1551 Gillett until 1993 when it moved to 9120 Roselawn St, Detroit, MI 48204 and it's still there as Gillett Waste Paper
    Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Here is clip from Hornwrecker's 1930s map showing the location of Gillett. I-75 [[Chrysler Fwy.) runs now where Russell is on this map. 1551 Gillett appears to have been a junk/salvage business for many years. It shows in 1920s and 30s city directories as the junk business of one Morris Sweet, and shows on the 1950 Sanborn map as a "waste paper warehouse".

Name:  gillett st.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  115.0 KB

You guys are awesome! Thanks. I have my father's address in 1940 being at 2975 Richton, and I'm imagining what his life must have been like as a 20 year old in Detroit back in the day. Thanks again.